The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks targetting Copp, Mikheyev, and Lazar

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR said he didn't want to have his owner paying for coaches that weren't here.  Why would he be any different with players?  I can't see JR buying guys out or retaining salary in any trades.  I would like him to retain for sure to get the best return possible, but I don't see him going down that road.  I think before the TDL JR said he wouldn't retain?  

Because players aren't coaches. By paying a coach not to coach your team you aren't getting value out of said coach, you're maybe getting value out of who you've replaced him with. You get value by retaining cap to get the players/picks you want in a trade return, there's actual upside in terms of net assets. 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:12 PM, NucknAsia said:

Really like Copp and Mikheyev, not a big fan of Lazar...feel he's a bit slow 

Lazar was a pretty solid swiss army knife for the Bruins, I wasn’t high on him either but he was a good addition last season for them. 

11 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

League had record profit this year, debts will be paid in two years and cap will probably take a big jump then, so only really a flat cap this and next. I expect with no facts or reason it will be over $100M in the next 5 years. 
NJ is rumoured to be ready to offer little Johnny $70M (10X7). I don’t think Miller comes in under 9 unless he really, really, really wants to be here. 

I hope lil Johnny goes to nj and joins smurf hughes.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:35 AM, Alflives said:

Is Pods not coming back from Russia?

if Kuzmenko signs elsewhere then Pods fills his spot in your projected lineup.  

If Kuzmenko signs with us (fingers crossed) then Pods can play in Garland’s spot.  Garland we could trade for a young D. 

lmao ya I shouldn’t project things at 2AM..

Shocked I left podz out though.

Regardless it doesn’t make sense signing three UFA forwards especially when Copp contract will be very inflated and mikheyev will be overpaid for sure.

Lazar does make sense to me though. Think he would be a good value fit on fourth line.

I do agree it does feel like garland will be trade bait for a D. 

On 6/16/2022 at 9:01 PM, EddieVedder said:

Paul over all these guys.  This team needs a player like paul desperately

He’s going to get overpaid for sure though.

id rather a Rodriguez if the $ made sense. But regardless I’m super curious who will be our 3C as we need this spot filled.

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think his skating is better than people are saying. He’s not a burner but I don’t think he’s a slug.

Probably fair to say he’s not super agile on lateral quickness.  On north south game probably in the vein of what horvat does but with much less puck skill.

19 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Probably fair to say he’s not super agile on lateral quickness.  On north south game probably in the vein of what horvat does but with much less puck skill.

For sure and I think he showed in Boston he’s a solid 4th line RH C and PKer 

On 6/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, D.B Cooper said:

This team will definitely NOT be as good without Miller.  
For me personally, I feel we have sucked for so long, what’s another couple years?   
If we trade Miller, we can set ourselves up for a much better future where we can be a young contending team for years to come.  
Signing Miller only helps now in the short term, and will probably be a nasty contract for the later years.  
Id rather look forward to the future, than try to slightly improve now and get bounced in the early rounds. 

Correct!! gotta do a proper rebuild or retool.. be patient like the Avalanche, Panthers and Hurricanes.. they struggled for quite a long time while picking up all the right pieces...  before finally becoming a real contender! The Blackhawks are only halfway there as they got old fast without integrating fresh blood... 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Correct!! gotta do a proper rebuild or retool.. be patient like the Avalanche, Panthers and Hurricanes.. they struggled for quite a long time while picking up all the right pieces...  before finally becoming a real contender! The Blackhawks are only halfway there as they got old fast without integrating fresh blood... 

We need to decide if our young players are as good (as a group) as top teams’ elite cores.  Demko, Petey, Hughes are great, and can compete with any team’s elite core.  We need more of these kinds of guys though.  Miller is going to age out quick, so move him and hope the return becomes an elite core piece.  

• Cheers 1

No way we can afford Copp. He dropped 18 points in 16 games with NYR, then had a solid playoffs too. They'll surely find a way to re-sign him, he played 20 minutes a lot in the playoffs so was basically a top-6 guy.

We need to look at cheaper guys, Tierney's my guy but any of Janmark or Jarnkrok, maybe Lazar at a stretch.

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Close this damn thread jeeeeze

What has JR said that indicates we are going after multiple ufa 28-30 year Olds. Pretty sure we are trying to get rid of those type lol

imo, they should be going after Micheyev hard if the price is reasonable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get it, But I'm still not with you there.

Too much tied up into middle 6 forwards. I'm soo sick of having a swiss army knife team. We don't need half a team of 3rd liners who can jump up to the 2nd line. We need role players, Guys who know there roll.

Playing musical chairs on special teams all year is not the play to make. The more and more money we allocate to the 2-3 lines the less we have for those type of guys where it matter. Not to mention that will be another 4+m less we have to get quality D and actually NHL depth. Hunt had to play way to many games this year. We can't have that sort of thing happen again.

When it's time to compete, that's when we add this types of guys to get us over the top. We don't even have a team identity.

We all need to be calm for 2 years. All but huggy oel and demkos deals are up. Literally have a fresh start up coming and I know JR will plan according. It won't include free agent shopping this year though imo

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying don't kick tires on this guy, but I'd be careful, very careful.

He had a career year (literally tripled his goal production from his previous best) on a team where every player in the top 9 had career years offensively - this doesn't happen often - his numbers are likely going to be greatly inflated. 

He made what, $1.6 and change last couple seasons and he's in his prime earning years for his type of player - I'm guessing he's going to want to cash in on his 21g season with a team who thinks he's going to improve on that number - and I just don't see it myself. 

Like I said, kick tires for sure, but be wary of the 'outlier' statistics.