The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] DiPietro on the Block, Montreal has Enquired

The idea that Depietro could be used as a sweetener to move a bad contract makes no sense.  He’s not a NHL goalie and he probably never will be.

If he’s moved it’ll likely be a minor leaguer exchange kind of deal. 

• Upvote 2

Gorton is the GM, that drafted or signed both of the Rags current goaltending tandem.  Both have the same stature as Dipietro; and Gorton it seems, is looking to buy low on Dipietro.  Would rather keep him to bring up his value, for one more year but if the Canucks, had made up there mind that Svilov, is the player they want to develope - then trade him to a team that wants to develope & play him.

I am not sold on Martin but his cheap two year deal, makes a good gamble.

From a goalie graveyard to a plethora of good goalies, all thanks to Ian to be honest. Demko is 26 now but don't sleep on Martin who is 27 and had some worldly numbers last year (especially advanced stats). Then the middle man is DiPietro who I worry is too small to become a starting goalie. He's very young though but his AHL numbers have kind of stalled and he's never going to get a chance in Vancouver. Silovs is only 21 and put up some massive numbers in Latvia, you just know in around 3-5 years he'll end up being in the NHL and may eventually take the torch from Demko (plus that's a long time to find another backup/future replacement for Demko).

Not sure what DiPietro can get us, I doubt he's worth a 2nd round pick, maybe a high 3rd from Montreal? If we can get anything now we should go for it because he's not going to get much better. I would argue there's no rush, is Silovs ready for starting in the AHL? He's very young and got shelled last year so maybe another year as an AHL backup isn't a bad idea, depending on how ready Ian thinks he is.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

From a goalie graveyard to a plethora of good goalies, all thanks to Ian to be honest.

That was my thought too - that Ian Clarke is one of the best things this organization has going for it.

Feels like a few others were in that same category but Benning cut them loose - Brackett, Gilman, (Linden?)

I saw him play when just  after he was drafted  I couldn’t believe he was listed over 6 foot. 
he plays small and compact even when he played for the Nucks he looks tiny in net, I  was never a fan. 
Time to move on give him a chance somewhere else we’re set in net for a while. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

.888% save percentage and 3.10  GAA is showing well? 

Well enough to be that far down the depth chart, sure. Dipietro only achieved .901 and 2.95gpa himself. That's just a smidge better.

But yeah, ok... maybe "well" is a stretch.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He was a third round pick,  and the Habs have interests in him.

Id say he brings a 2nd or hi 3rd pick back

If Montreal trades for him it’s to play backup in Laval behind Primeau.  I don’t think they’d be willing to part with a high pick for an AHL Backup.  I could see a prospect swap with someone equally as buried on the depth chart (Josh Brook) or a later pick. But no way he returns a 2nd 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2022 at 2:26 PM, King Heffy said:

I liked DiPietro a lot; it's a shame he never really developed.

Silver lining I'd say is that Vancouver have other goalies in the system that have overtaken him. 

Vancouver has some goalies in the system more than most.