The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big time disappointment this off-season so far?

Rate this topic

Our fans are used to crawling back into the fetal position and going for a rebuild.  That's our safe space.  

Obviously we aren't good enough, but we are in the middle stages of becoming a contender.  I'm okay with a JT Miller trade, but fans need to also be okay with keeping our best player (by far).  

We are not going into a rebuild. 

Since the arrival of new management now going through a trade deadline and draft I give them at this point 4/10 

the only 4 points they get is hiring Bruce.

to this day it’s very well bennings team on the ice 

Edited by AlphaNuck
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You actually think they are going to get something better now then they could have had already? 

It doesn’t sound like the offers were very good today.

Teams will for sure be more desperate after striking out on free agency.

There hasn’t been enough time for teams to work out a sign and trade either. That will boost his value big time.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Our fans are used to crawling back into the fetal position and going for a rebuild.  That's our safe space.  

Obviously we aren't good enough, but we are in the middle stages of becoming a contender.  I'm okay with a JT Miller trade, but fans need to also be okay with keeping our best player (by far).  

We are not going into a rebuild. 

Well, I guess not going into a rebuild has worked for us in the past. Why not try again. I am sure it will work one of these days. You can’t expect to improve at all with this defense and prospect system the way it is right now.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

I'd rather they keep Miller until next TDL as opposed to letting him go for less than what Ben frigging Chiarot got or Andrew Copp net as a return.

Making a trade JUST to make a trade is foolish.  Montreal did damned fine today and yes we ALL wish the Canucks were involved like that but they weren't and after watching so many assets walk away for nothing or get traded JUST because they needed to be traded and getting for less of a return for it, I am happy JR is standing pat

As a fan of the game, the biggest disappointment right now is watching such a trade in JR do literally nothing.  Like LITERALLY nothing to the team Benning built knowing he has such a reputation as a wheeling dealing GM/President

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AlphaNuck said:

Since the arrival of new management now going through a trade deadline and draft I give them at this point 4/10 

the only 4 points they get is hiring Bruce.

to this day it’s very well bennings team on the ice 

so far....

Benning did have to draft a core - Brock, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko. 

It's the nature of the business. Previous GM's inherit teams. It's what this current management group will do to improve on the roster. 

I still expect JT to be traded...whether this management group can pull it off is another story altogether. 

I think this shows that while Benning made a bunch of mistakes, the new group thinks there’s enough talent in the system that it isn’t worth just announcing a “take what we can get” firesale.  

Really looks like they’re prioritizing roster players over prospect pool now - which means a lot of teams are still very much in play.  No “rush” but I still think they need to do something before the year starts.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I'd rather they keep Miller until next TDL as opposed to letting him go for less than what Ben frigging Chiarot got or Andrew Copp net as a return.

Making a trade JUST to make a trade is foolish.  MOntreal did damned fine today and yes we ALL wish the Canucks were involved like that but they weren't and after watching so many assets walk away for nothing or get traded JUST because they needed to be traded and getting for less of a return for it, I am happy JR is standing pat

If he gets injured or has a down season, they have lost that bet. It’s dumb to try to go through another season and so risky. It could easily blow up in their faces.

Draft day really isn’t the day you should hope for trades, not many usually happen. This year was a bit of an anomaly when compared to recent years as most teams have figured out that pics and future potential is worth a lot more than current mediocrity

Just now, -DLC- said:

They addressed this on the radio and I tend to agree.

Before it was that Benning rushed to make deals and got fleeced. Didn't think them through. Got us into predicaments without much forethought.

Now we have a management team taking their time. Being picky and rejecting offers that fall short. Not "settling".

Exercise some patience.

And if JT stays, be happy that we have a player of his calibre. Live for today...don't worry about 6 years down the road. If COVID taught us anything......

If we live today, this team’s defense is still really bad. So that’s the way I am looking at it. If they go into the season with the same defense. Oh god.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1