The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

2 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I don't get this...

Garland > Kapanen

Myers > Marino

Cap space would be the only benefit but Pit can't afford that

Marino is way better than Myers.  Much smarter defensively and processes the game a lot faster.  Marino would allow Hughes or OEL (whoever he’s with) to play more offensive 5 on 5.  Right now our two talented D are babysitting guys who really aren’t top four D men.  

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah Mikheyev won't be a third line guy here lol that's pretty obvious.

Pretty impressive that that "3rd line guy" was on pace to score 50 points and 32 goals while being on a line with 2 average to below average players. Imagine what he may do with top 6 mins. and more talented line mates? Thanks for proving my point for me. 

If Mikheyev is going to be playing top six minutes, then who does that push out? Höglander? Garland? 

From what I see right now being the top six, assuming Miller is still here when the season begins: 

-Miller, Bo, Brock, Mikheyev, Petey, Podkolzin

So that means Höglander is pushed to the third line, with probably Pearson and Dickinson. 

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So HF is saying that Mikheyev has "hands of stone", yet he scored 21 goals in 53 games last season with majority Dzone starts. 

What am I missing?

His career prior agrees. But I would be a salty Leafs fan too if I lost one of my few defensive guys haha. 20g would be good enough for me again honestly 

• Like 1

It almost feels like an opportune signing. A trade doesn't necessarily have to be in the works. There wassnt many D of similar value available and when a defenseman does become available that we want to trade for, we have multiple different assets that can be used as a trade without giving up prospects/picks

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Speed to burn.

And his the size to bump McDavid away from the puck when in the battle.  Mikheyev is a very good player, especially defensively.  He’s going to make a huge difference to the line he’s on.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks will trade Dickinson and Pearson for whatever picks they can get and they will trade Miller once they let teams discuss contract extension with his agent.   Hoglander and Garland aren’t going anywhere imo.  

Pearson we could maybe a 3rd for considering his age and contract. Dickinson we are the one's giving up a pick just to move that contract. No one will take him without a sweetener

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If Mikheyev is going to be playing top six minutes, then who does that push out? Höglander? Garland? 

From what I see right now being the top six, assuming Miller is still here when the season begins: 

So that means Höglander is pushed to the third line, with probably Pearson and Dickinson. 

We also have Kuzmenko who will get too 6 minutes 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's assumed someone is going to be traded, likely from the forward group to improve the D. They aren't done, this is day 1 of free agency. But it does look crowded at the moment, I love Hoglander but from my point of view he has to earn top 6 minutes again. Don't forget about Kuzmenko who may start lower who knows as he's on an ELC.

Edited by Harold Drunken

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Since when has Free Agency been a time for GM’s or players to sign for bargain deals. It’s never been. Free Agency is crazy season for GM’s. Look at some of the contracts that were handed out. Gudbranson got 4M for 4 years. Columbus is nuts! 

You have no persective. Hamhuis signed for far less than market value to play here. Philly offered him 6 mill. Is a 25% discount a bargain? He's not the only player to do it. Garrison may not have been great but had highers offers as well. Paul Kariya signed a one year 1m deal with the Av's for a shot at the cup. Analysts predicted 7m x 7 years for Myers. He took less with a shorter term because he "wanted" to come here.

Many fans here have very unrealistic ideas of market value. Just because NHL players make a lot doesn't mean they don't give salary breaks to teams under certain conditions. Even doing so they make a lot of money. That doesn't negate it being a deal for the team.

What reason did Gudbranson have to sign with Columbus other than money? He didn't give them a deal. Perspective.

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Can't just throw Myers away. 82 games and 23min is some serious TOI... damn near nobody plays 82 games on D for us ever it seems. 

Absolutely, but I think we're going to need a lot of moves upcoming.

Firstly we'll need to move Garland, then we need to acquire a defenceman and somehow lose 2-3M in that process to get under the cap. Even Garland for Marino and we're still over the cap. My other concern is that we're lacking a true 3C, unless we play Bo as a 3C and run 3 scoring lines which it looks like management might be constructing...

Lots of moves to come but Myers cannot be one of them unless we're somehow getting 2 solid RDs who can play 20+ minutes.

• Upvote 1