The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Would you do it?

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Is this JR/PA's fault for not making a deal at the trade deadline? 

Apparently they had a deal with the Rangers and turned it down.  JR publicly said they didn't want to trade Miller as they were shooting for the playoffs.  That sounds like an Aquilini thing even though some are adamant JR doesn't take orders from the owner, the same owner who has been giving orders to all of his President's since he bought the club.

So I'm not sure JR/PA can be blamed for anything, just like Gillis and Benning can't be blamed for certain things because ownership got involved.  Remember the Tortorella hiring?  Aquilini apparently was the one who ordered it.

That's all in the past now.  Miller is still on the team so we have to run with it.  If he stays he stays, and if he goes he goes.  But the one thing JR/PA need to avoid is making this a season long soap opera of having both Miller and Horvat play out their final contract year and the distraction that would come from that, and also not losing either asset for nothing.  

Both the Miller and the Horvat contract need to be dealt with in the summer, regardless of what JR publicly says in the media...

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Apparently they had a deal with the Rangers and turned it down.  JR publicly said they didn't want to trade Miller as they were shooting for the playoffs.  That sounds like an Aquilini thing even though some are adamant JR doesn't take orders from the owner, the same owner who has been giving orders to all of his President's since he bought the club.

So I'm not sure JR/PA can be blamed for anything, just like Gillis and Benning can't be blamed for certain things because ownership got involved.  Remember the Tortorella hiring?  Aquilini apparently was the one who ordered it.

That's all in the past now.  Miller is still on the team so we have to run with it.  If he stays he stays, and if he goes he goes.  But the one thing JR/PA need to avoid is making this a season long soap opera of having both Miller and Horvat play out their final contract year and the distraction that would come from that, and also not losing either asset for nothing.  

Both the Miller and the Horvat contract need to be dealt with in the summer, regardless of what JR publicly says in the media...

I dunno I do feel there needs to some accountability for this "patience" mantra. When in reality it's near sighted in my opinion to sit on him at the TDL and the draft. Now what we're going to make another weak playoff bid Miller walks UFA or worse sign a 30yearold x8 years. It's soo funny this fanbase falls head over heels jeering over a few FA signings. So far JR/PA have done absolutely nothing to address the real issues with the team. Our Defence, our cupboards, and the Miller saga. These issues need to be addressed no amount of patience will make them go away.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I dunno I do feel there needs to some accountability for this "patience" mantra. When in reality it's near sighted in my opinion to sit on him at the TDL and the draft. Now what we're going to make another weak playoff bid Miller walks UFA or worse sign a 30yearold x8 years. It's soo funny this fanbase falls head over heels jeering over a few FA signings. So far JR/PA have done absolutely nothing to address the real issues with the team. Our Defence, our cupboards, and the Miller saga. These issues need to be addressed no amount of patience will make them go away.  

For a management team that said their first job was to open cap space it's kind of strange that they have actually added cap.  They’ve done exactly the opposite to what JR said (at first) they planned to do to fix the Benning mess. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For a management team that said their first job was to open cap space it's kind of strange that they have actually added cap.  They’ve done exactly the opposite to what JR said (at first) they planned to do to fix the Benning mess. 

A couple FA signings and a few front office staff is not moving the needle when heavy lifting needs to be done. I fear the path this team is on will result in another decade of mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Like I said I think they were ordered to keep Miller at the trade deadline, so there isn't much that can be done in that scenario.  As for the draft, apparently they had a deal with the Islanders that fell through.  I doubt it was for Dobson, so it was probably Pulock that was on the table.  Not sure he is the right fit here.  The teams interested now seem to be dwindling even though some think there are many teams still interested.

Trading Miller was never going to be easy and you can tell JR is frustrated, his interview with Donnie and Dhali a clear indication he is not happy.  As for the other issues on the team, I think they targeted 2 players they really wanted and got them in Mikheyev and Lazar.  Obviously those two signings didn't address the two biggest needs, a 3C and a RHD.  I'm assuming any Miller or Garland trade will address the bigger needs.  Hopefully there is more to come...

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said I think they were ordered to keep Miller at the trade deadline, so there isn't much that can be done in that scenario.  As for the draft, apparently they had a deal with the Islanders that fell through.  I doubt it was for Dobson, so it was probably Pulock that was on the table.  Not sure he is the right fit here.  The teams interested now seem to be dwindling even though some think there are many teams still interested.

Trading Miller was never going to be easy and you can tell JR is frustrated, his interview with Donnie and Dhali a clear indication he is not happy.  As for the other issues on the team, I think they targeted 2 players they really wanted and got them in Mikheyev and Lazar.  Obviously those two signings didn't address the two biggest needs, a 3C and a RHD.  I'm assuming any Miller or Garland trade will address the bigger needs.  Hopefully there is more to come...

I just don't understand why a guy like JR would take a job at his age with his legacy to be FA's patsy. 

35 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I just don't understand why a guy like JR would take a job at his age with his legacy to be FA's patsy. 

Guys always want to win again.  Maybe JR felt we had a good enough base to make this team a contender so he could win another Stanley Cup.  Didn't Scotty Bowman win his 9th Stanley Cup with Detroit and then retire the same day.  I believe he was close to 70 years old when he retired...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Guys always want to win again.  Maybe JR felt we had a good enough base to make this team a contender so he could win another Stanley Cup.  Didn't Scotty Bowman win his 9th Stanley Cup with Detroit and then retire the same day.  I believe he was close to 70 years old when he retired...

That's quite the hypothetical. I think even the biggest Canuck homer fans could see that we aren't a tweak or 2 away from being contenders. This Mgmt group can't be that gullible can they? Hard decisions must be made. Demko and Horvat aren't getting younger the longer we prolong making those decisions the further back we are pushing this team from true contention. The further we drive down Millers value the more we cripple this teams ability to rise from the ashes. For what? A 1 and done playoff run. This course we are on is how MTL/Calgary got to where they are today.  Short sighted MGMT and an owner who cuts his nose off to spite his face will be our down fall. 

• Vintage 1

JR said that they were going to have to trade a (one or more than one) fan favorite.

He also has said they would like to keep Miller (which means JT agrees to a team-friendlier deal than what he might be able to command as a free agent).

He also said he wants to (keep and) build around our new core of Demko, Hughes, and Pettersson.

Doesn't that all leave Horvat as the odd man out?

35 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

JR said that they were going to have to trade a (one or more than one) fan favorite.

He also has said they would like to keep Miller (which means JT agrees to a team-friendlier deal than what he might be able to command as a free agent).

He also said he wants to (keep and) build around our new core of Demko, Hughes, and Pettersson.

Doesn't that all leave Horvat as the odd man out?

He pretty much has to say that about JTM. If he creates a sense of urgency publicly, then it puts the pressure on him to accept a deal and maybe one not as good as should be. 
‘All he can really do is pump up JTs tires publicly and say we really want him here, he is our best player…doesn’t matter if doing it to sign him or trade him. 
‘He has just as publicly come out praising Horvat so that is reading a lot into it. 
‘We could can likely afford to hold onto most everyone with moving of Myers and Dickinson but that isn’t really necessary until next offseason when Myers is on last year and we have at least burned another year of Dickinson’s contract. Best thing to do with Dickinson anyway is probably to get him in camp with Bruce, keep him as bottom six winger and see if has a better year. 
‘This is not necessarily the approach that I would prefer as it is assuming the core we have is championship level with slow incremental improvements around them and frankly I am not sure the core is that level. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:00 AM, shiznak said:

Man, I remember people wanting Carlo, Juulsen, Kylington, or Roy back in 2015. I was one of the few people who wouldn’t  have mind picking Andersson at 23rd. 

In a re-draft, he probably goes in the top 10.

Good player, I don't know about top 10 though. If he did it would be because teams really covet that right shot.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

It could also be JR/PA's way of saying they were unimpressed with the offer....

But yes FA does have a tendency to interfere...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It could also be JR/PA's way of saying they were unimpressed with the offer....

But yes FA does have a tendency to interfere...

This is why there is legit concern we will actually trade Miller at the 2023 TDL.  Will our owner allow it?  

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is why there is legit concern we will actually trade Miller at the 2023 TDL.  Will our owner allow it?  

Tbh I'm more concerned with the thought of us being in a spot to contend. Second or third in the pacific division and flying high. Dare they trade Miller if that's the case?

I've said all along, I hope they get it sorted one way or another before the season kicks off...

Like anyone I'd like to see us in the playoffs, but if Miller walks for free afterwards it will be a massive own goal. 

16 hours ago, spook007 said:

Tbh I'm more concerned with the thought of us being in a spot to contend. Second or third in the pacific division and flying high. Dare they trade Miller if that's the case?

I've said all along, I hope they get it sorted one way or another before the season kicks off...

Like anyone I'd like to see us in the playoffs, but if Miller walks for free afterwards it will be a massive own goal. 

Pretty much echo this - hope they make the call before season starts or just after once all the LTIR kicks in after day 1, and we see how the rosters shake down.

either we keep him with having conversations that either he gets traded or signed but not walks, or we have already shifted him and have pivoted towards a post miller team. 

what I don’t want is uncertainty which means we may lose him but also haven’t made the moves to move on from him 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, McBackup said:

Good player, I don't know about top 10 though. If he did it would be because teams really covet that right shot.

Marner

Eichel

Aho

Rantanen

Connor

Kaprizov

Barzal

Werenski

Chabot

Andersson

Meier
Boeser

Hintz

Konecny

Provorov

Meier or Hintz could possibly push him out of the top 10, but right-handed defensemen who can play in all situations, don’t exactly grow on trees.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Marner

Eichel

Aho

Rantanen

Connor

Kaprizov

Barzal

Werenski

Chabot

Andersson

Meier
Boeser

Hintz

Konecny

Provorov

Meier or Hintz could possibly push him out of the top 10, but right-handed defensemen who can play in all situations, don’t exactly grow on trees.

Damn, McDavid must have really fallen off.