The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick

JR is notorious for trading so it seems it'll eventually happen but right now all signs are Miller stays and they take a HUGE risk holding onto him until trade deadline or he walks in 2023 for nothing.

Team D is atrocious and Demko needs 2 Top 4 D on reasonable contracts

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

It’s funny how some fans were like: Alvin!!! Rutherford… they are going to make the team so much better! They are so knowledgeable! Castonguay, this and that… as if this is the best management group ever. Lol I don’t know how any one can simply claim that this new regime won’t make bad decisions. IMO, the Brock and Mikehyev contracts were mistakes. 

I think Brock got what he should,but to me he is one guy that teams want and we could get the rhd plus pick to make the team better and maybe throw in a bad contract to boot.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

So far this management group hasn't done anything special.

We are 4 days into free agency. have some patience. Benning left them with very few prospects and no cap room what exactly are you expecting? It's thier first off season and you're roasting them about 4 days worth of work. They've re signed Boeser on a great deal, brought in the NHLs fastest player and solidified our 4th line. They also signed the most sought after European free agent in Kuzmenko with lots of other interest in the league. To say they haven't done anything special is silly. Anything else will come from trades which they have all summer to do.

Man this is such a fickle and unreasonable fan base sometimes damned if you do, damned if you don't. Why don't you step in and show them how it's done lol

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Who knows maybe the Canadians will call about Myers after all is said and done

If we trade away Myers we are two top 4  RHD short. I think we should be trying to add top 4 RHD not trade away the only one we have...

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Who knows maybe the Canadians will call about Myers after all is said and done

So they pay a price to get younger and get some cap space only to turn around and take an even bigger cap dump?  Not likely. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

If we trade away Myers we are two top 4  RHD short. I think we should be trying to add top 4 RHD not trade away the only one we have...

Only way we trade Myers is if they’re looking at signing Klingberg.

2 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

It’s funny how some fans were like: Alvin!!! Rutherford… they are going to make the team so much better! They are so knowledgeable! Castonguay, this and that… as if this is the best management group ever. Lol I don’t know how any one can simply claim that this new regime won’t make bad decisions. IMO, the Brock and Mikehyev contracts were mistakes. 

People here said trading a 1st for Miller was a mistake too. Food for thought. 

2 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Well argued but I'm not buying it.  Ty Smith was on the NHL All-Rookie Team.  I can't see a sophomore slump devaluing him to the point where Pittsburgh shuffles around their D.  All in the name of keeping 32 year old Chad Ruhwedel and Mark Friedman in the lineup? 

I suppose it's technically possible but I think it's a lot more likely that they value the asset that they traded for lol.

You maybe right. No one really knows what Pens will do. I don't even think they know at this point .. all depends on how Smith does at camp and pre-season. 

In NJD he had a horrible season. He can't pkay defense. He gets beat and beat bad.. hands out grade a scoring chances against like candy on Halloween. 

On a team like the Pens he will not stick of he keeps getting bear like he did last year..

I think NJD rushed him. Should have left him in minors and develop.  His sophomore season was about as bad as it could have been. 

Maybe it was the coaching. Hamilton and Severson had off years as well.. 

Good on him if he can stick. I think for his career a new team and  time in the AHL might be the best thing. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That contract scares the crap out of me. Could end up being worse than OEL's.

Who Klingberg’s?

We don’t even know what he’s asking. Seems like he might have priced himself too high.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d do 5 max

5 is stretching it a bit for me. Maybe at a reduced cap hit. Front load the actual money so we can potentially move him to a bottom feeder trying to hit the cap floor without spending much in terms of actual dollars. 

Also, I'm concerned with how well he'd fit here? His +/- is absolutely atrocious. Definitely an offense-first type player, and I figured we needed a solid defense-first type of blueliner that could cover for Hughes when he decides to go skating. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

5 is stretching it a bit for me. Maybe at a reduced cap hit. Front load the actual money so we can potentially move him to a bottom freeder trying to hit the cap floor without spending much in terms of actual dollars. 

Also, I'm concerned with how well he'd fit here? His +/- is absolutely atrocious. Definitely an offense-first type player, and I figured we needed a solid defense-first type of blueliner that could cover for Hughes when he decides to go skating. 

Yeah, we don't need a defenceman who can't play defence.  I wouldn't take him regardless of contract length or AAV.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

If they can get that kind of return, JR can surely get something for OEL or Myers.

Myers has a huge advantage over OEL in that even though he’s older (and inferior to OEL), his contract only runs for two more seasons & he is coming off a decent year under Bruce.