The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Who knows maybe the Canadians will call about Myers after all is said and done

No reason to think so.  Montreal is trying to clear cap space and wanted Matheson to replace Petry.  Kent Hughes knows Matheson personnally and thinks the world of him.  

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, awalk said:

Don't get this deal for Pittsburgh at all

Petry is a big right shot D that can run a power play and has put up 40+ points in 4 of the last 5 seasons.   Matheson is a left shot D who’s more of a defensive D.  What Petry can bring is far more difficult to find.  They also got a big, young bottom 6 C.  He won’t light the world on fire but he’s a NHLER and there’s still room to improve. 

9 hours ago, billabong said:

I don’t see why this makes sense for montreal

Reportedly, Petry requested a trade last season. Montreal gets a cheaper solid LHD (Matheson) who is 6 years younger. Makes sense.

The Pens time is still now whereas Montreal’s time is a few years away.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

On what planet is Rathbone worth even close to Ty Smith? Rathbone hasn’t even proved he can play at the NHL level. Smith finished ahead of Hoglander in Calder voting.

Give the kid a chance.  He is going to play this coming season.  Another offensive D man to compliment Hughes. 

Colorado has three of them.

14 hours ago, mll said:

Both Friedman and Dhaliwal were saying that Vancouver were targeting Marino.

The Canucks didn't have the cap space to make that move.

Didn’t JR make a statement after that the rumors came from the media and not from management’s actions? 

so if that’s correct, maybe they were never in on Marino. 

I bet Dhaliwal has an account either here or on some other Canuck forum, reads what people want, and sais what we want to hear to get clicks. Don’t put it past him. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, mll said:

now that they've 'fixed' their d (at least how they see it) I can't see them making a trade out of that new look d to make a F trade work. 

I could see them moving Kapanen for a underwhelming return maybe. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

now that they've 'fixed' their d (at least how they see it) I can't see them making a trade out of that new look d to make a F trade work. 

I could see them moving Kapanen for a underwhelming return maybe. 

The Penguins like Dickinson.  He would make them happy.  

Dicky for Krappy

Get ‘er done JR!  :frantic:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Penguins like Dickinson.  He would make them happy.  

is this just hope? 

Dicky for Krappy

there's a joke here I'm going to let pass 

Get ‘er done JR!  :frantic:

I love how most of your posts now end in this :lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Give the kid a chance.  He is going to play this coming season.  Another offensive D man to compliment Hughes. 

Colorado has three of them.

I'm not saying Rathbone is hopeless or anything. Just that he doesn't have much trade value until he proves himself as an NHL-er. He very well might, but he hasn't yet, so Ty Smith is worth a lot more in a trade.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Petry is a big right shot D that can run a power play and has put up 40+ points in 4 of the last 5 seasons.   Matheson is a left shot D who’s more of a defensive D.  What Petry can bring is far more difficult to find.  They also got a big, young bottom 6 C.  He won’t light the world on fire but he’s a NHLER and there’s still room to improve. 

I must be under valuing Petry. 

I get that Poehling is 23, but I don't see him being more than a fringe 3rd line C 

5 minutes ago, awalk said:

I must be under valuing Petry. 

I get that Poehling is 23, but I don't see him being more than a fringe 3rd line C 

Petry had a bad start under Ducharme last year (like the rest of the team) but was excellent under MSL.  He’s still an excellent skater, he’s huge and a right shot. Not to mention that  put up 42 points in 56 games the year before last.  

His contract is what reduced his value, not his play 

Poehling is bottom 6 C.  He adds depth.  Look at the trade as Petry for Matheson and Poehling for a 4th 

Edited by qwijibo

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Petry had a bad start under Ducharme last year (like the rest of the team) but was excellent under MSL.  He’s still an excellent skater, he’s huge and a right shot. Not to mention that  put up 42 points in 56 games the year before last.  

His contract is what reduced his value, not his play 

Poehling is bottom 6 C.  He adds depth.  Look at the trade as Petry for Matheson and Poehling for a 4th 

I'd keep Matheson if I'm Pitts but that's just me.

45 minutes ago, awalk said:

I'd keep Matheson if I'm Pitts but that's just me.

Look at the big picture of the 2 trades Pittsburgh  made though.  They remade their D by exchanging Matheson and Marino for Petry and Smith,(sent out 1 LHD and one RHD, brought in 1 LHD and 1 RHD)  they added a depth forward and saved almost $1.5m on the cap. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Look at the big picture of the 2 trades Pittsburgh  made though.  They remade their D by exchanging Matheson and Marino for Petry and Smith,(sent out 1 LHD and one RHD, brought in 1 LHD and 1 RHD)  they added a depth forward and saved almost $1.5m on the cap. 

Yeah I'd rather have Marino and Matheson over Petry, Smith, Poehling. But again that's just me.

On 7/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, WHL rocks said:

The guy was one if the worst players on a bottom feeder team.. what are you taking about..  he had a horrible season with NJD. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, DeNiro said:

Who didn’t have a horrible season on New Jersey other than a few players? :lol:

What part of he’s 22 don’t you understand? He also put up 20 points.

That would be like criticizing Rathbone next season if he doesn’t put up 40 points and play top 4 minutes…

Gotta agree with DeNiro. He's 22 and a former 1st rounder. 20 points makes him our third best D scorer. Way off base on this one WHL. Definitely worth more than the 3rd and only heading into his third year to boot,

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Gotta agree with DeNiro. He's 22 and a former 1st rounder. 20 points makes him our third best D scorer. Way off base on this one WHL. Definitely worth more than the 3rd and only heading into his third year to boot,

The problem isn't his offence, the problem is that his defence is as bad as Rielly and Barrie.  That's simply not acceptable on any actual NHL team.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

The problem isn't his offence, the problem is that his defence is as bad as Rielly and Barrie.  That's simply not acceptable on any actual NHL team.

Oh yeah but he was not the strongest defender even when drafted. Regardless of his defensive acumen he'll still hold value in the NHL being only 22 and already playing 115 games and scoring 43 points by the time he was 21. He'll definitely get his fair share of chances to see if he progresses.