The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

I'm not 100% convinced Petersson/Boeser/Horvat/Hughes/Demko is a good enough core to make a deep playoff run unless we see Petey/Hughes take the next step forward.

Scorched Earth rebuild is still on the table for me. 

You ok with 5 more years of struggling hockey? Made worse by the fact, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, and others are clearly looking to totally rebuild, or are in the process of rebuilding. I get what you mean. But even with a total rebuild, will we be any better off? 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You ok with 5 more years of struggling hockey? Made worse by the fact, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, and others are clearly looking to totally rebuild, or are in the process of rebuilding. I get what you mean. But even with a total rebuild, will we be any better off? 

Yes. I'm fine with 5 more years if it means setting up the next decade and a half after. Rather than another 8 years of 'make the playoffs anything can happen'.

We're in this mess because we never bit the bullet and accepted the need for a rebuild. The core we assembled along the way was from merely existing and collecting our 1sts like all the other teams rather than any planned strategy/structure. 

It also doesn't necessarily have to be 5 years. Look at NYR. You play your cards right you can bounce back in 2-3 years.

Of course. If our stars grow and show they have what it takes to stand toe to toe with the likes if Mackinnon/Makar, McD/Drai, Mathews/Tavares, Crosby/Malkin, Barkov/Ekblad, Kucherov/Hedman/stamkos. Then by all means let's go for it.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I think I saw this mentioned, but just in case... 

Markus Naslund was my favorite player growing up and is still up there for me. Dude was an elite sniper (in his prime) and we haven't had one since. 

He shouldn't have gotten his number retired. Ring of Honor yes, but #19 in the rafters, unfortunately not. We have too many numbers up there for a club that has never won a championship. 

(I still love you Nazzy, I'm sorry) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Markus Naslund was my favorite player growing up and is still up there for me. Dude was an elite sniper (in his prime) and we haven't had one since. 

He shouldn't have gotten his number retired. Ring of Honor yes, but #19 in the rafters, unfortunately not. We have too many numbers up there for a club that has never won a championship. 

I go further- Pavel Bure- while he is a Hockey Hall Of Fame player- should not have his jersey hanging in our rafters.

18 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

We should have traded the Sedin's in 2012

I didn't agree with spending assets to give the Sedins another shot at the playoffs. 

And rented them when they were viable trade pieces to a contender.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Canucks would have won the cup in 2011 if we had re-signed Willie Mitchell.

Canucks are going to trade Miller for a return noone likes but will end up being key to our current core.  Also, this current core is capable of winning it all.

Aquilini is not a meddling owner and we're lucky he's not cheap with the team.  He's always spent money when asked to and wants to win as bad as we all do.

We scored 8 goals in 7 games. It was arguably the most pathetic offensive performance in a Stanley Cup Final ever. Although Mitchell would have helped, especially when Hammer got hurt in game 2, offence and the lack of it was the problem way more than defence.

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

We scored 8 goals in 7 games. It was arguably the most pathetic offensive performance in a Stanley Cup Final ever. Although Mitchell would have helped, especially when Hammer got hurt in game 2, offence and the lack of it was the problem way more than defence.

At the very least Boston learned to shut the Canucks offence down. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

At the very least Boston learned to shut the Canucks offence down. 

We didn't have enough answers for their physicality. Our answer had been cash in on the PP but the PP went dry. And Boston's which had operated at just 6% through the first 3 rounds came to life big time. Plus they figured out going high to the blocker on Luongo was a great idea. Which it was and always has been. 

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

We didn't have enough answers for their physicality. Our answer had been cash in on the PP but the PP went dry. And Boston's which had operated at just 6% through the first 3 rounds came to life big time. Plus they figured out going high to the blocker on Luongo was a great idea. Which it was and always has been. 

All of that and Thomas stood on his head. When a goalie is dialled in like that and you’re getting pounded on… tough way to play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

17 hours ago, Darius said:

The ‘94 team would have mauled the 2011 team and would have railroaded the 2011  Bruins at their own game. Thornton et al would have been eating fists from 4 directions. 

Momesso, Dirk, Antoski, Odjick, Hunter, Diduck even Goeff Courtnall was feisty. That roster had some serious push back.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

Naslund was the captain when I really fell in love with the team and I can agree with this.  

As a side note, I do think that team deserved better in the playoffs though - Cloutier, a lockout and the Moore nonsense slammed the door shut before they and a chance.  That was a fun team to watch and should have had a bigger window with the WCE and prime Twins overlapping. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I have a Canuck binder, I have been trying to get 1 card (in a Canuck jersey) for every Canuck that played. I sort it for games played.  Here is the binder Michael DiPietro is on:

Spoiler

16585230332951385065643232529026.thumb.jpg.15c6dcb22b4cfb55e21008fa3bf9b797.jpg

Tell me his career will amount to much more than what's on this page .:unsure:

Edited by Wilbur
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Gino Odjick was over-rated as a player (basically just a goon), and he's a legend in VAN because he was Bure's BFF

...discuss   :ph34r:

Gino was a goon, but fearless.   But Antoski was actually a better fighter while here.    That MY unpopular opinion . 

Edited by IBatch

The Sedins wouldn't of had the careers they did, if the lockout didn't occur and guys like Derian Hatcher, Craig Ludwig died off quickly..,,   

EP and QHs would have both been drafted in the 3-5th round had the game remained the same.    

And although this isn't unpopular, I for one, am grateful for it. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/21/2022 at 5:06 PM, -AJ- said:

I was roasted for this one back when I made the statement, but I still stand by it and have added two more names to it.

Bure had a very good rookie season, but Boeser, Hughes, and Pettersson all had better ones.

Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

• Cheers 2

I've never heard anyone say this but it seems obvious to me that Bure was on steroids. Remarkably low body fat % they always said, among other obvious indicators. The general outing of users in sports didn't happen during his time here until the end and I think it was behind his undisclosed dispute with Quinn. They made an uneasy deal where Quinn would stay quiet and Bure would move on. It's why I consider Mogilny to be the greater of the two.  

Just my opinion, as allowed under the protection of the conditions of this thread.