The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

Ooh I've got a fun one!

This one could bite me in the butt and I hope it does! Podkolzin doesn't have the motor everybody claims he has. He's a very streaky player and when he's motivated he can be great but when he's unmotivated he's just a checker. I don't anticipate him ever being a 1st line player like a lot of people project him to be down the line. I think his ceiling is 2nd line and it's incumbent on his comfort level and motivation. Now with that said, he has all of the tools to be a great player and easily a 1st liner but what I'm hoping is that he was just uncomfortable in his role as a rookie and as somebody who doesn't speak fluent English. When he gets going and does all of the small detail stuff this guy is magnificent to watch and can be a perfect captain if he wants to be. But I just don't see it often enough and I think ultimately he will end up settling into a 3rd line role for his NHL career. Really hoping I'm wrong! I am actually anticipating a breakout season now that he's surrounded by a couple Russians. He had the one stretch where I said Boudreau needs to move him up the lineup because he started to do the small details that are necessary to be successful and about a week after I said that he got promoted up the lineup and did very very well, but then tailed off and started neglecting those successful things once the team cooled off towards the end of the season. He gives off a slightly more dedicated Jake Virtanen vibe to me, however I think some of that is also due to his discomfort of being on a new team and not knowing the language. 

Also, as said before: Horvat isn't as good defensively as people have claimed him to be and I also think he's a core player who we won't win the cup with because he's too inconsistent. Again, another player that could easily be a 1st line player if he wants to be, but it's a matter of effort level. He has the tools whether it's the speed, the ability to go to the net, the shot, the IQ, etc. and when he moves his skates he's an absolute beast, but the problem is he doesn't do it often enough. 

Some other slightly unpopular takes: we should have traded Boeser when his value was high a couple seasons ago, worrying about player size is overrated 99% of the time, this team's coaching rarely allows their young players/prospects to thrive and let them play their game and have a horrible tendency to take away their offense by overpromoting improving the defensive aspect of their games, management has been absolutely horrible for paying way too much for depth players and for defense (not really all that controversial, but my God, fix that crap), this team needs to leave about 7 mill in cap space and absolutely abuse the hell out of taking advantage of teams that are strapped for cap space (seriously how is this not a common tactic employed by GM's boggles my damn mind because every single year for the past several years we see teams get raked over the coals for overspending) and I think this team will ruin Rathbone by not letting him flourish offensively like they've done to so many of our offensive defenseman prospects in the past. If they forced Hughes to carry/hold onto the puck more often like he did in his first season, he and the team would be much more successful, however this team is hell bent on setting up quick rushing play despite not being overly good on rush plays due to a lack of creativity. 

Welp, I'm opinionated. 

• Upvote 1

Go on vacation and Coconuts starts the best thread of the year.  :huh:

Here goes,

Linden was in over his head, hired by an owner for PR purposes. He grew tired of the ceremonial role and being a puppet and knew he had no real power against the delusions of Aquilini and his stooge JB 

Benning was the worst GM in my life as a Canucks fan.

Brackett did all the heavy lifting in the draft for him. And was let go partly out of spite. The #1 picks JB hand picked, Virtanen and Joulevi, were disasters

Not enough Canadian born players in our top lines. And in our top draft picks. And it seems we are only doubling down on the Eurovision model. Call me a sentimental nationalist, I believe, in a general sense, Canadians have a cultural advantage and mindset. We seem to also go out of our way to avoid the WHL prospects for some strange reason

i like listening to Drance. He tells it like it is. Like the late great Jason Botchford who was imploring Aqua and Benning early on that “we need an army!” (Of new picks and prospects) These guys are/were right 90% of the time but get crucified for the 10% they are wrong about by fragile fans.

Gillis, who was a great GM, saddled with an incompetent amateur drafting dept, was debating trading the twins when he arrived and I wouldn’t have been that sorry if he had. Loved watching their skill on the ice, but as defining the culture of “passive toughness” I was not a fan of. And then Benning and Aqua deciding to force a retool just to cater to them getting another shot, was self serving and dumb.

The V sweater was ahead of its time, a jersey and logo in one, and still is it seems. Something that bold just didn’t work with the team colours at the time.

Bring back the loud live Hammond organ to pump the fans, and ditch the canned 80’s hits we’ve heard as nauseum for decades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Unpopular Canucks opinion: Travis Green isn’t actually a bad coach. But the organizational environment under the last management group made him a terrible coach toward the end of his time here.

(Hoping this one fulfils the brief. :lol:)

Honest question: what made you think he was a good coach?

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not one to defend JR & Co. But the fact is they've done this in what 8 months and you're ready to throw the babyout with the bath water, A little harsh to my way of thinking. Try to trade bad quality players such as Dickinso and Pollman is a fools errand. NO one, no one, want that low quality player, you'd have to throw ina draft ick to move those two... just take them. Bening consistently messed up for 8 year, there's a difference

Here’s the thing.  
I was unimpressed with them from the start because I remember a lot of the awesome moves JR has done.  
He isn’t actually great at trading.  Or drafting. 
The support he has hired, most of the m have never held the roles they now have.  
And together they have fumbled since the start.  
This is still 99.5% Benning’s team.  

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We spent six (6) 2nd round picks after 2011 to try and bolster the Sedin's, and at least 6 more lower round picks. That's a lot of prospects thrown away chasing a fading twins glory that was obviously finished here. We refused to accept that we were in transition. I don't count Bo or JT because those trades worked for us.

6 second round picks.

Screenshot_20220723-051820_Chrome.jpg

Here is my unpopular opinion. You just proved yourself that 2nd rounder given up by Jimbo didn't really matter that much as those 6 picks would only yield a single 100+ game played player. 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:42 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Roberto Luongo should have his number up in the rafters.  Share the banner with Kirk MacLean, I don't care - his name belongs up there with his number.

Reason: Capt'n "We Choked" had his number retired and he couldn't even get us to the dance; RL1 got us to the dance and held (holds still?) most of our franchise goaltending records.

Awesome Goalie all round, but he was lost mentally during the playoffs in Boston. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Here’s the thing.  
I was unimpressed with them from the start because I remember a lot of the awesome moves JR has done.  
He isn’t actually great at trading.  Or drafting. 
The support he has hired, most of the m have never held the roles they now have.  
And together they have fumbled since the start.  
This is still 99.5% Benning’s team.  

Here's the thing JB burdened the club year after year with Green then fired a great capologist Gilman, fired Brackett and drafted Juolevi and Virtanen. The list of lousy UFA for a lot of money and long term, a list  too long. The good point if you're the owner I believe he came cheap:lol:

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We spent six (6) 2nd round picks after 2011 to try and bolster the Sedin's, and at least 6 more lower round picks. That's a lot of prospects thrown away chasing a fading twins glory that was obviously finished here. We refused to accept that we were in transition. I don't count Bo or JT because those trades worked for us.

6 second round picks.

Screenshot_20220723-051820_Chrome.jpg

100 NHL games isn't much of an achievement and says nothing about the quality of the player. Schroeder played over 100 NHL games. Connauton over 300. Everybody hated Raymond and he played over 500 NHL games. It takes 200 NHL games to get a players pension. So 100 really isn't a very good bar to set as even 200 doesn't indicate quality..

40 minutes ago, Baggins said:

100 NHL games isn't much of an achievement and says nothing about the quality of the player. Schroeder played over 100 NHL games. Connauton over 300. Everybody hated Raymond and he played over 500 NHL games. It takes 200 NHL games to get a players pension. So 100 really isn't a very good bar to set as even 200 doesn't indicate quality..

After looking at available ufa's over the years I noticed how short most careers are. Like instead of going for LE's high price. I noticed with longevity were Helm and Shattenkirk at cheaper prices.

I think 1st rounders are a full chance at a full time player and 2nds are almost like a half a chance at something good. If you pick right that is. It just seems we had a bad habit of giving away 2nds since 2011. And we did get lucky with Miller who has upheld his trade value.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

After looking at available ufa's over the years I noticed how short most careers are. Like instead of going for LE's high price. I noticed with longevity were Helm and Shattenkirk at cheaper prices.

I think 1st rounders are a full chance at a full time player and 2nds are almost like a half a chance at something good. If you pick right that is. It just seems we had a bad habit of giving away 2nds since 2011. And we did get lucky with Miller who has upheld his trade value.

There was two put out a decade ago and showed 30% of 2nd rounders play 100+ NHL games and dropped to 25% playing 200+ NHL games. But it also didn't really address the actual quality of players with 200+ games. As I said Raymond played 500+ and Connaughton 300+ games. I doubt anybody would call them quality picks.

Can I change it to who is most un-popular opinion of someone to do with the Canucks?

If I could change it to that, I'd pick John Garrett, I cannot stand him!! 

I wish he'd just quit or just stick to play by play calling and no opinions or wannabee Howie Meeker-ness..

If JG quit, I'd be as happy as when I heard LE was gone! And boy was happy to hear that! Fist pump and a WOOOOO!!!!! 

Ok maybe down a few notches because I despise LE with an obvious passion but still I'd be pretty happy with JG gone. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

There was two put out a decade ago and showed 30% of 2nd rounders play 100+ NHL games and dropped to 25% playing 200+ NHL games. But it also didn't really address the actual quality of players with 200+ games. As I said Raymond played 500+ and Connaughton 300+ games. I doubt anybody would call them quality picks.

Agreed, each draft is a crap shoot though as I'm sure your aware of and some are deep and some aren't but that factored in over the years too. 

Those to were "OK" picks but nothing more, if Raymond was 6'2 and 200 ish  that would have been different but alas.. not so much...

• Upvote 1