The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except they obviously made this move to stay a cup contender.

Its the same situation as Miller. If they’re in a playoff spot are they really going to trade Huberdeau at the deadline?

Will be fun to revisit this in a year when all the Flames have to show for Tkachuk is a 26th overall pick.

I would imagine they'd have to so that they don't get blasted for the weak return if they let them walk. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They still have 11 mil in cap space and extra assets to trade.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re going hard for Kadri right now.

Biggest dub is removing the two toxic leaders of that room honestly. That's like the dream haul right there lol

12 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I'm thinking Huberdeau told them he wouldn't be re-signing with them so they needed to get something for him.

You could be right. That would explain the grand disparity in apparent value from the two sides.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I would imagine they'd have to so that they don't get blasted for the weak return if they let them walk. 

But they did that with Gaudreau and he still walked.

I think what they’ve done is bought themselves another year to be competitive and try and convince Huberdeau that Calgary is a good place to play.

Huberdeau replaces Gaudreau but the Flames are still down a top player and even then got wrecked by the Oilers. He’s gonna need to be convinced Calgary can contend or he’s walking.

Edited by DeNiro