The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

And with their defensive prospects coming up honestly them and the kings are projecting to be powerhouses. Especially if byfield hits 

This really could be the year we finally get the crown jewel of our decade long rebuild / retool that we need. Top 3 maybe even 4 with Leo look like franchise changers.

I feel like I'm alone here, but Anaheim Ducks' rebuild isn't anything special to me.  

They'll have some flashy offensive guys, sure, but Drysdale is pretty overhyped.  Zellweger and Mintyukov would need to take the next step and succeed in the NHL next year for me to proclaim their rebuild as something special, which is far from a certainty. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So any chance Adam Fantilli goes 1st overall?

I’d say same chance Eichel had vs mcdavid but if he keeps his pace up and has a better year and projection than Eichel, and a GM is tantalized by the total package and would prefer the size I guess it’s possible. If bedard was taller I think it wouldn’t even be in question though. 

that list did come out recently putting him first and lots of hockey to go so we will see 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I feel like I'm alone here, but Anaheim Ducks' rebuild isn't anything special to me.  

They'll have some flashy offensive guys, sure, but Drysdale is pretty overhyped.  Zellweger and Mintyukov would need to take the next step and succeed in the NHL next year for me to proclaim their rebuild as something special, which is far from a certainty. 

I was responding with the impression that they added Bedard.m or a top 3 player of this draft class.

and I’m super super high on minty and really like zegras and mctavish

but for sure there guys could not break right. Or underwhelm or not fit together well like ours haven’t 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

And with their defensive prospects coming up honestly them and the kings are projecting to be powerhouses. Especially if byfield hits 

This really could be the year we finally get the crown jewel of our decade long rebuild / retool that we need. Top 3 maybe even 4 with Leo look like franchise changers.

If we can get top 4 pick, I would pop champage like those teams that win the world series/stanley cup LOL (just a saying) 

• Haha 3

On 11/3/2022 at 2:35 AM, R3aL said:

Well if would be nice to get the reward for misery 

For just once right? We are not Pittsburg or Edmonton that had both Super Mario and Sid the Kid for the Pens. The Great One and McJesus for the Oilers. For 52 years we are due from pain AND probability. 

If we can accumulate picks this year, this is the draft to be doing it.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

For just once right? We are not Pittsburg or Edmonton that had both Super Mario and Sid the Kid for the Pens. The Great One and McJesus for the Oilers. For 52 years we are due from pain AND probability. 

If we can accumulate picks this year, this is the draft to be doing it.

Absolutely but just don’t think JR came out of retirement to accumulate pics.
Think he is going to Benning it and keep swapping pics for developed B level prospects.  Treat us like an elite team signing UFAs to big contracts, trading away pics for guys with limited upside to fill the age gap just like Benning. 
Second rounders already have been going out the door for bad players, when things get worse it will be first rounders. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Absolutely but just don’t think JR came out of retirement to accumulate pics.
Think he is going to Benning it and keep swapping pics for developed B level prospects.  Treat us like an elite team signing UFAs to big contracts, trading away pics for guys with limited upside to fill the age gap just like Benning. 
Second rounders already have been going out the door for bad players, when things get worse it will be first rounders. 

The philosophy of this team is set by our owner.  He hired Gillis, who successfully worked this philosophy to make a great team.  Our owner thinks this can be done again.  Failed with Benning.  Trying again with JR.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The philosophy of this team is set by our owner.  He hired Gillis, who successfully worked this philosophy to make a great team.  Our owner thinks this can be done again.  Failed with Benning.  Trying again with JR.

was Benning wrong, or just crappy at implementation? 

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That it would

Would rather be bad than mediocre 

it feels like our core needs a change up and one more key piece 

Mediocre is okay if everyone is working their tail off and we have a pipeline of young players coming up 

going all in losing draft capital and being mediocre is the worst 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

@Vintage Canuck you rarely post in the NHL entry draft thread. The fact that you post something in here this early in the season gives me an indicatiion about the current state of this franchise. Sadly Bruce hasn't found solutions to the  most pressing issues even after 12 games into the season. I can't imagine Aquillini firing Bruce, because he would have to pay not only Greener and Bruce but also the newly hired headcoach.

• Haha 1