The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Sandin-Pellikka playing out of his skin, having another massive international tournament. I think some team is going to take him top-10 in the draft, he's making a last minute push to get up there. Might mean that Reinbacher could fall to us. I know there's too many good forwards in the top-10 but ASP is surely going to tempt a lot of GMs with what he's doing right now.

If we have a decision between ASP and Reinbacher it'll be very interesting to see who Allvin picks...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Leonard, Smith, Perrault putting on a clinic against Norway after 1, Moore to a lesser extent. 

Lol, hard to know what to make of a game like this. No way Norway should even be at this tournament if Russia and Belarus were there.

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sandin-Pellikka playing out of his skin, having another massive international tournament. I think some team is going to take him top-10 in the draft, he's making a last minute push to get up there. Might mean that Reinbacher could fall to us. I know there's too many good forwards in the top-10 but ASP is surely going to tempt a lot of GMs with what he's doing right now.

If we have a decision between ASP and Reinbacher it'll be very interesting to see who Allvin picks...

I really hope that a team reaches for ASP in the top 10.  

This U18 tournament is very skewed, you have teams like Sweden and US that have been working towards it for a long time and then a bunch of other disjointed teams.  

I also have no idea why Norway is even in here. With the Russia/Belorussia ban, it should be an 8 team tournament. 

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

@HighOnHockey what's your opinion on Gabe Perreault. He's obviously smaller in size, but I can't help but find him to be one of the most intriguing offensive wingers in this draft. Not that I think he's a Nucks candidate or anything, but I just wanted to know what your thoughts were.

Thanks!

Yeah pretty interesting prospect. I put him in that category of extremely skilled forwards who may have difficulty translating to higher levels. I mean he was already a 2 p/g player in about 20 games against NCAA DI teams this year, so at least he's more tested than a junior player. I said similar things about their pro translatability in Cole Perfetti's and Kent Johnson's draft years and I'm happy to admit they're both looking great. Just saying there is greater risk, so you have to balance the potential reward. The thing with Johnson and Perfetti and the same could be said of Perreault is, what they're doing works for them up to the point they've needed it to; they would skate into traffic or try to force a pretty pass a little more often than an NHL coach would like to see, but it has worked very well for them so far (again, 2 p/g for Perreault at the NCAA DI level), so who's to say how well they will adapt to different circumstances when they need to. I'd probably rank Perreault somewhere in the mid to late teens.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah pretty interesting prospect. I put him in that category of extremely skilled forwards who may have difficulty translating to higher levels. I mean he was already a 2 p/g player in about 20 games against NCAA DI teams this year, so at least he's more tested than a junior player. I said similar things about their pro translatability in Cole Perfetti's and Kent Johnson's draft years and I'm happy to admit they're both looking great. Just saying there is greater risk, so you have to balance the potential reward. The thing with Johnson and Perfetti and the same could be said of Perreault is, what they're doing works for them up to the point they've needed it to; they would skate into traffic or try to force a pretty pass a little more often than an NHL coach would like to see, but it has worked very well for them so far (again, 2 p/g for Perreault at the NCAA DI level), so who's to say how well they will adapt to different circumstances when they need to. I'd probably rank Perreault somewhere in the mid to late teens.

Who do you like in that 20-40 range in terms of guys who have skillets that should translate well? Very open-ended question, but I appreciate your opinion to any extent...

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Who do you like in that 20-40 range in terms of guys who have skillets that should translate well? Very open-ended question, but I appreciate your opinion to any extent...

20-40? Interesting question. Starting to sound like maybe Calum Ritchie could fall. Charlie Stramel or Kasper Halttunen should be available in the 20s I think.  Big bodies who play the right way but have limited upside. Then there's Oscar Fisker-Molgaard, Tom Willander, Theo Lindstein.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

6 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

@HighOnHockey what's your opinion on Gabe Perreault. He's obviously smaller in size, but I can't help but find him to be one of the most intriguing offensive wingers in this draft. Not that I think he's a Nucks candidate or anything, but I just wanted to know what your thoughts were.

Thanks!

It would be interesting if Detroit takes either Smith or Leonard with their earlier first rounder and then Perrreault with their later first rounder. Those three players have amazing chemistry and I could see it being tempting to keep two of the three of them together. They likely won’t, but it would be neat. 

On 4/21/2023 at 6:13 PM, thad said:

Yeah I saw every game. His arm was down but the thunderbird was kinda bent down reaching for the puck. Looked to me like he tried to line up a big hit and the guy put himself in a bad spot. 

im honestly higher on him now after watching the playoffs. Thought he was just all skill boom or bust but the kids got a bit of a chippy side to him. When the opportunity is there he’ll give it to his opponent. He battles pretty hard out there.

Could be a solid sleeper pick for whoever drafts him

Agreed! 

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Would rather

Have the Canucks win the lottery

Or

Actually win the lottery?

win the lotto. Bedard can pull a Lindros or walk his way to UFA at 26/27 yr old and come to Vancouver if he wants to be a Canuck. Similar to what Dubois seems to be doing as its long reported he will only sign long term with Montreal?

4 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

After watching that US game it’s hard to place any of the Canadians at the tourney above Smith Leonard Perrault Moore. Obviously different levels of competition but the skills were just at a different level . Barlow and Wood were the notables I guess their size could play a factor to some teams 

It should also be considered that these Americans a lot of them have been playing together all year so they have a level of chemistry and familiarity built up that Canada does not. 

• Like 1