The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yes they do, and whomever they choose, I'll be 100% behind... but the 'we'll find a big guy in FA' won't cut it...

Tbh I'm just an ordinary Joe nobody, who base my choices on, what I read. 
The scouts spends hours on end looking at these kids. So whoever they draft, they will have a reason for doing so, and If they think Benson is the best at no.11, good. 
But if we want a team that can compete, we need size and figstiness...

wasn't it Tuch while at Vegas, who destroyed us? And the Ferland boy destroyed us v Calgary. 
I would love a player like that, who could play on the 3rd/4th line in a year or 2 

Alternatively a big bloke, they can't move from the slot with silky mitts. 
And then of course the RHDs avaiable. 
lots of choices and possibilities, but we have a skinny goal scorer in the system, now get a bit of beef, please. 

I am with you totally 100%. You see teams wheeling and dealing on the draft floor like they know exactly who they want. They trade up or down to get who they want. Do we really need another smallish winger? Really?

We have the tough positions covered and now we need big "Tuch" type players to COMPLIMENT our smaller less physical players, how hard is that to figure out. 

We probably don't need an offensive center for a few years or a PMD. If we are in line for a guy like this, then lets trade down. 

Call me crazy but I think we should be gearing towards building a "Team" and not just look for the next shiny new toy IMHO. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

With Kravtsov ultimately going the same route Michkov is projected to go (3 years Russia) try NHL and have the option to go back or never even come over, I’d be ok passing. He’s a 5’9 winger with as much talent in the world and probably top 2 on skill itself, but we are a very small team as is and need to inject some size into the lineup. 

It’s unfortunate that most of the top end players in the draft projected around our pick are under 6’0. I’m opening up to a Barlow or Wood despite being wingers and Willander over ASP due to having the ability to play a bigger game, we are such an easy team to play against. 

if michkov falls to us, we more or less have a top 5 pick to trade to anyone ... im sure there would be some very interesting packages. maybe a couple lower picks and get rid of some cap etc

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

It's near the end of May and our fan base is already going insane...

Going?

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Here's a horrible but totally Canuck scenario.

Reinbacher will fall to Vancouver. Vancouver drafts him.

CDC rejoices.

His injury is far more serious than we know.

He fails to develop.

We waste a 1st rounder.

Classic Back To The Future GIF - Classic Back To The Future Bttf - Discover  & Share GIFs

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Can see Michkov falling like a stone now - probably no further than Washington tho, though Ovie will have the inside scope and has old Poots on speeddial incase he decides not to report or something :shock:.

Shrewd tactic by the Michkov camp to avoid ending up in the Zona shit show, which is where a lot of mocks currently have him going. 

Yeah, gotta think Washington nabs him if he falls that far, if any team is gonna take a swing on a Russian with top 3 talent while being a team that could probably get him over it'd be Washington 

• Haha 3

Benson, Wood, Barlow, and ASP are likely who were selecting. Moore could perhaps be available but that all depends on Washington, Detroit, and St Louis who all could use a centre. Good chance Reinbacher, Dvorsky and Moore are gone by the 11th pick.

Benson at 11 would be the steal of the draft. He’s Marchand 2.0. A total rat and a piece of shit guy that can play. He will be a gamer. It’s actually funny how this 5’10 165lbs kid plays more of a physical game than 6’1 Barlow and 6’4 Wood.

Edited by Odd.
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

I just brought up Aydar Suniev there's an outside chance he dips to the 3rd. He's not got the top speed of Pekarcik/Wahlberg but if he did he wouldn't make it to the 3rd. He is however incredibly strong on his skates meeting the criteria for hard to move from the front of the net and his shot is spicy.  At the 2 Vees games I got out to this year he looked in another class. I have a tough time with BCHL guys I was pretty hyped on Newhook and Jost. 

Any Aydar love out there??

Cheers bud. 
We need that kind of players... 

If they can't keep up with speed its a slight concern a la Gadjovic, but it definitely worth considering. He knows where the net is, and has silky smoothe hands. How is he for the rough and tumble?
After reading a little more he is drscribed as a tenacious forchecker, a pest etc. 

All the things I look for... 

yes definitely worth a good long look. 

Edited by spook007
  • Like 2

2024-eligible Charlie Ellick looks like a stud to me. 6'3 RHD. Shades of Seth Jones and Mukhamadullin at the same age. Simply dominant inside his own zone, separates bodies from pucks and makes quick outlets. Easy first rounder. If he shows some offensive upside next year he could go top ten.

More random comments on future drafts: Porter Martone and James Hagens were the two 2025-eligibles at U18s. Martone played a bigger role on a weaker Canada team. At 6'3, he's highly skilled and creative, but tries too much at times and was exposed by elite older players. Craig Button had some pretty nasty things to say about him but I'm a big fan. Just tools for days. Hagens is one of my favorite prospects to come along in recent years. Imagine if William Eklund was also an elite defensive forward. Exceptional on his edges and Hagens outwits everyone all over the ice, even at this level as the youngest player in the tournament.

Shane Vansaghi is listed at 6'1 but he looks way bigger than that at the February 5 Nations U17s. A late birthday, he's not eligible until 2025 either. Just a huge young man that looks to finish his check every time, and he's a menace in front of the net with a little skill to go with it.

Cayden Lindstrom is a 6'5 center with skill and smarts. Looks like maybe he could be a top 5 or 10 pick for 2024.

I know all the chat about JT Miller + 11OA for Carlsson is nice and tempting but all those teams are quite rebuild-y, even CBJ. Gaudreau is 29 years old though so it would make more sense to try and retool quick, and that 3rd overall pick could net them a massive haul - imagine if they walk away from the draft with 1C Miller and Reinbacher. That being said, Leo Carlsson is pretty much NHL-ready, certainly not top-6 material yet but he could be in a year or two.

I wonder if Montreal would want to make a push for the playoffs next year, they have so many good young players, maybe a veteran would drag them forward? 5th overall pick and looking like Smith/Michkov, but they won't be ready for a while and their core is all around 22-23 years old. Miller is obviously a lot older but....does anyone do 11OA + Miller for 5OA? Seems like a fairer trade than for the 3OA because we have to really think about it - is Will Smith that good? I'd probably take the risk and hope Reinbacher or ASP fall to us but it could make things interesting.

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

CDC rejoices.

He fails to develop.

We waste a 1st rounder.

Another way I can see this going is Reinbacher is available at 11, Canucks choose someone else.

CDC absolutely implodes in anger that they didn’t choose who we’ve all decided they had to pick.

Reinbacher is kinda forgotten cause he turns out to be as underwhelming as lots of scouts project, while our pick turns out ok.

(all that said, I still want us to pick Reinbacher) 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This guy is Malkin 2.0 with some shades of Mats Sundin.

To me, he’s the 2nd best player of the draft. If I had #2 pick, I’d be running up to the podium like a little kid who stole some candy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Tommernes, wasn't he a Canuck pick?

draft 2011, 7th round, pick 210. Has been the best D-Man in the NL - top league in Switzerland for many years. Just look at the ranking for D-Man for the season 2022/2023. Worth to look slight further down than only at the top spot.

Bild

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

CDC rejoices.

He fails to develop.

We waste a 1st rounder.

Reinbacher is back playing at Worlds and was the 2nd highest minute skater as well as recorded an assist in Austria's win over Hungary yesterday. But yes, that would be a very Canuck story.

• Cheers 4

Sale

Tankathon has him at #11 (Canucks), and Button has him ranked #7, I believe.

Would anyone else be kind of upset if the Canucks selected him?

For me, the only wingers I'd want are Barlow or Wood. 

NO to: Michkov, Benson, Sale, Perreault and Cristall.

YES to: Moore, Dvorsky, Leonard, ASP, Reinbacher, Danielson

21 hours ago, hammertime said:

@Warhippy or anyone who's seen a bunch of the Vees this year. Thoughts on Nadeau vs Suniev.  

The Nadeau brothers are absolute money.

But small.  Both are genuinely just slight people.  Not like diminutive but small.  That COULD change, but it's hard to judge.

If this team had extra picks I'd take both brothers without hesitation as they feed off each other like Hank and Danny did but also suffer a bit when playing without the other as they look a bit lost as that chemistry and heads up isn't the same with other players .

Sunyiev is money in a later round.  I think he's going to Michigan?  But the Russian factor doesn't scare anyone who is paying attention.  

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

Did Michkov's camp provide a reason why he's skipping the combine? He must have someone advise him what missing the combine means. As much as we would be drooling over his talent if he drops, missing the combine seems like a huge red flag. You would have no idea what his personality is or what his plans are for his pro career. That seems pretty risky?

• Upvote 1