The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign Olli Juolevi

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I had high hopes honestly. I think the Nucks rushed him. He needed to simmer more in the AHL. 

He didn’t play in Van until his draft year +4 and even then only played 23 games. How exactly was he rushed? 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He didn’t play in Van until his draft year +4 and even then only played 23 games. How exactly was he rushed? 

Those years were riddled with back, knee and hip issues, not to mention Covid. 

The Management rushed him into the big leagues without giving time to evaluate him after everything he’d been through. 

He played a handful of games, with zero confidence and was relegated to a healthy scratch at the end of it all, from my recollection. 

OJ should have been marinated at least two to three years in Utica after not having the time after injuries to develop more. 

Big difference between Utica and the NHL. 

That’s why. 

I recall the summer he was drafted he was interviewed about his chances of making the NHL in the next few years and he said that he thought he had a good chance to play that year.  He then went on to chat about how his strengths lined up well for the NHL.  He came across way too confident for my liking.  Not cocky, just seemingly clueless of the work that he'd have to do to get there.  So to see him flopped on the ice last summer simply justified my concerns. 

Amazing how a few of us got flamed for calling him out with the bag skate.  You know what, successful people work hard no matter what......they just crave the feeling of constant improvement and competition (self-competition as well).  OJ gave me nothing to think that he'd be a top 4 D, but hopefully he turns the corner.

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Those years were riddled with back, knee and hip issues, not to mention Covid. 

The Management rushed him into the big leagues without giving time to evaluate him after everything he’d been through. 

He played a handful of games, with zero confidence and was relegated to a healthy scratch at the end of it all, from my recollection. 

OJ should have been marinated at least two to three years in Utica after not having the time after injuries to develop more. 

Big difference between Utica and the NHL. 

That’s why. 

Yeah he was hit hard by the COVID then blamed for showing up out of shape ..

• Cheers 2

He Will be remembered as one of our worst draft picks 

Right up with Patrick  white 

OJ the worst top 5 pick we’ve ever had 

And when compared to the guy taken right after him it should have cost people there job for incompetence.

Hes lucky he got any team to sign him even for the AHL. 

On 7/27/2022 at 2:31 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Damn, we missed out!!!

;)

Totally!!! it's almost zero risk on a 1-year 2-way cheap deal... now that Travis Green is gone, Juolevi should have no problem fitting in! Looks like we got out-GM'd AGAIN!!! Juolevi comes with a legendary CV.... 5th pick overall... got great size and grit... just iffy consistency and skating ability... unless of course Ruthie thinks Wolanin is a better fit!!

13 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Totally!!! it's almost zero risk on a 1-year 2-way cheap deal... now that Travis Green is gone, Juolevi should have no problem fitting in! Looks like we got out-GM'd AGAIN!!! Juolevi comes with a legendary CV.... 5th pick overall... got great size and grit... just iffy consistency and skating ability... unless of course Ruthie thinks Wolanin is a better fit!!

It's all about the knees. His mobility was an issue in his last year here. He had great mobility when he was drafted, but I think the surgeries took a toll on his ability to pivot effectively.

I don't hold any illusion that he is a failed prospect, I just don't hold the fact that he failed against him, Benning or the scouting staff. You can't anticipate injuries that occur after you draft a player. It would be like trying to hold Dave Nonis accountable for drafting Luc Bourdon (RIP). Management can only draft based on the talent level and if there's multiple players with really close talent level, then you draft based your overall need. We needed a D with the potential to become a dependable shutdown guy for us, what happened after he was drafted was unavoidable.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I had high hopes honestly. I think the Nucks rushed him. He needed to simmer more in the AHL. 

I was personally not super keen on the signing, but trusted the drafting of Benning & co. (I wanted either Tkachuk or Nylander) Sure enough, we needed a good defenseman at the time and, guess what? We still do.

It didn't take long for my reluctance to like the trade became just pure disappointment. Right from the start I couldn't see what others saw in him and the only thing he did on the ice that I felt was NHL-level was his passing vision. Along with the injuries and lack of conditioning, it was such a disaster of a high pick.

I don't even want to think about it. I'm getting verklempt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I was personally not super keen on the signing, but trusted the drafting of Benning & co. (I wanted either Tkachuk or Nylander) Sure enough, we needed a good defenseman at the time and, guess what? We still do.

It didn't take long for my reluctance to like the trade became just pure disappointment. Right from the start I couldn't see what others saw in him and the only thing he did on the ice that I felt was NHL-level was his passing vision. Along with the injuries and lack of conditioning, it was such a disaster of a high pick.

I don't even want to think about it. I'm getting verklempt.

I totally understand what you’re saying. 

I wanted Tketchup or Nylander moreso, but the team needed a dman that would replace Edler etc and be a franchise dman. 

OJ had the skill set. He had the numbers. 

However, he had zero luck with all those injuries and then Covid. 

If he had simply just played and progressed under normal circumstances then I think the team could have had a keeper. 

But, as Don Meredith astutely said, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

$&!# happens in hockey, draft picks hockey players and injuries. It’s a roll of the dice at the worst of times/prospects and even at the best. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

We should have been penciling in Huberdeau and Weegar into our lineup this year when Tkachuk wanted out of Van City.

Tbh, there are way too many rabbit holes cropping up if we swap that pick. I still think we end up with Petey cause Tkachuk didn't exactly immediately make a huge impact. But we could very well have ended up with Glass, Andersson or Mittelstadt. Or even maybe we end up where the Devils were who won the 2nd pick and we have Hischier. It's hurting my head thinking of the possibilities. Long story short, I am overthinking this.

• Cheers 1

Arguably the worst pick we've made in a long time. 5th overall, then we didn't develop him well either.

That draft was a heavy one, we missed out on Sergachev, Chychrun and McAvoy, but of course forwards like Tkachuk and Keller.

The only worse pick was Puljuljarvi to be fair, but of such a strong draft, if we had picked someone like McAvoy or Sergachev this would be a different team. Wasting a couple of top 10 picks in a row is how you burn a team.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:29 AM, NHL97OneTimer said:

I recall the summer he was drafted he was interviewed about his chances of making the NHL in the next few years and he said that he thought he had a good chance to play that year.  He then went on to chat about how his strengths lined up well for the NHL.  He came across way too confident for my liking.  Not cocky, just seemingly clueless of the work that he'd have to do to get there.  So to see him flopped on the ice last summer simply justified my concerns. 

Amazing how a few of us got flamed for calling him out with the bag skate.  You know what, successful people work hard no matter what......they just crave the feeling of constant improvement and competition (self-competition as well).  OJ gave me nothing to think that he'd be a top 4 D, but hopefully he turns the corner.

Didn’t OJ had problems with Covid?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Didn’t OJ had problems with Covid?

He didn't have Sutter's situation.  

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/09/30/canucks-olli-juolevi-recovery-covid-19-took-some-time/

There was speculation among fans that Juolevi’s poor performance in the conditioning segment of camp could be chalked up to still feeling the effects of his bout with COVID-19 from back in April, but Juolevi says that isn’t the case.

“It took some time, but I’m feeling good right now,” said Juolevi when asked how long after his original diagnosis it took for him to stop feeling the effects of the virus. “That’s all that matters.”