The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign Olli Juolevi

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

A guy like OJ likely goes home to Finland way before he ever reaches any kind of record like that.  

I don't know.... If he's good enough to be a number 7 dman then just keep rolling with the paychecks, I know I would. 

But you're right, probably still unlikely in the long run. 

The perks of being a first round pick. A player gets multiple opportunities to prove and re-prove that they can make it. I hope Olli does well in Anaheim, but I think that ship has sailed where he’s considered a “top” prospect/player in the league. Personally, I see him more as a depth player around the league now with first round pedigree. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Dude, what did Juolevi do to deserve this fanbase's vitriol? Good grief. Y'all really are classy.

ive always blamed his injurys for his downfall, sucks. hopefully can get back on track.

• Cheers 1

Out of all the bust prospects, this is one I could see carving out an ok NHL career still. He thinks the game so well, injuries just really messed with his development. obviously could be some motivation and commitment issues, but is rather take a chance on a guy that just hasn't found his toolbox yet.

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

Only thing Juolevi closed out were Fortnight games and bag skates (barely). 

This is such a stupid joke. Juolevi was proven NOT TO BE the gamer addict. That rumour had swirled just after he was drafted. The kid never stood a chance here.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

re: 1999 NHL draft....

At one time or another, we've had 6 out of the 28 players drafted in that 1st round play for the Canucks.  Two of them are the HHOFer Sedins of course.  The most "successful" of the remaining lot was the "look into my beautiful blue eyes" Taylor Pyatt.:ph34r:

Sedins draft year is considered the worst in league history...if the Sedins weren't drafted .... it would be impossible to beat that, in a bad way of course!    Burke's mechanics that year, was absolutely brilliant.   And i actually really liked McAbe.   Went on to he a star for awhile himself.  

Look at that first round lol.   Jackman, Havlat and the Sedins and a gigantic amount of failures.     If the league didn't lock down and change the rules, things would have been even worse. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

He worked his ass off and struggled with conditioning because of a bunch of injuries? Yeah, lets roast this guy while most of y'all waddle around with your beer guts and neckbeards.

In those beer gut guys defense, OJ was a cocky kid around and after the draft ... comments like "you can't teach hockey smarts " and when asked about his conditioning, which was already a concern - "anyone can go to the gym - you can't teach hockey smarts"...MAYBE, if he spent more time in the gym, those injured wouldn't have ever happened in the first place.   Why Vancouver would pick a guy who on every scouting list, was below both Chychrun and Sergachev  (i'm not talking about media personalities - NO team takes that seriously, just a ton of fans do) .... and way down the first round or even early second round prior to the WJs - is the reason why OJ was such a prickly pick for some.   We all wanted PLD, MT was a pipe dream ... 1-3 all year.    Now that MT is showing his true colours and desire to play in the US, i'm glad we passed on him ... although those assets they got in return is still a lot better then OJ lol.   It is what it is .... can't win them all.   No GM hits on all their first rounders. 

Edit:  To be clear - ISS, who's only job is to scout ... and THN who takes an aggregate average of ten NHL team scouts rankings and creates a final list (not the writers, they also post their personal opinions, which let's be real, are just like throwing darts on a board and then writing about it lol) ... 9-12 ... we picked him at 5 lol.    And Chychrun, the year before the draft, was the front runner for first overall. Sergachev...man OJ was on an absolutely loaded London team, one of the most dominant we've seen in awhile ... and Bouchard outproduced him draft plus one.   Heffy and aGENT ha ha ha.   That guy. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

He just did not pan out for us. Injuries or lack of drive who knows? Not defending him or lamenting his lack of success. It is what it is. Best of luck to the kid.

My personal opinion was it was his lack of dedication that likely contributed to his injuries. And of course bad luck plays into it too.

I was at the camp when Olli died in the corner. It was an even worse look in person than the still images suggest - the way he was rolling around on the ice..Tyler Myers imploring OJ to get up, the vet knowing the kid was digging his own grave. He actually lay on the ice on two successive line bag skate runs. 

Don’t wish OJ ill, hopefully he has found some sort of inspiration in which to become a decent NHL’er/

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, IBatch said:

In those beer gut guys defense, OJ was a cocky kid around and after the draft ... comments like "you can't teach hockey smarts " and when asked about his conditioning, which was already a concern - "anyone can go to the gym - you can't teach hockey smarts"...MAYBE, if he spent more time in the gym, those injured wouldn't have ever happened in the first place.   Why Vancouver would pick a guy who on every scouting list, was below both Chychrun and Sergachev  (i'm not talking about media personalities - NO team takes that seriously, just a ton of fans do) .... and way down the first round or even early second round prior to the WJs - is the reason why OJ was such a prickly pick for some.   We all wanted PLD, MT was a pipe dream ... 1-3 all year.    Now that MT is showing his true colours and desire to play in the US, i'm glad we passed on him ... although those assets they got in return is still a lot better then OJ lol.   It is what it is .... can't win them all.   No GM hits on all their first rounders. 

Edit:  To be clear - ISS, who's only job is to scout ... and THN who takes an aggregate average of ten NHL team scouts rankings and creates a final list (not the writers, they also post their personal opinions, which let's be real, are just like throwing darts on a board and then writing about it lol) ... 9-12 ... we picked him at 5 lol.    And Chychrun, the year before the draft, was the front runner for first overall. Sergachev...man OJ was on an absolutely loaded London team, one of the most dominant we've seen in awhile ... and Bouchard outproduced him draft plus one.   Heffy and aGENT ha ha ha.   That guy. 

I didn't like the pick but simply because this kid had zero understanding of how to position himself in front of the net to cover other players. Wrong place at every step almost like he didn't want to cover anyone and would find tricky ways to leave them unattended/or someone else's responsibility. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sedins draft year is considered the worst in league history...if the Sedins weren't drafted .... it would be impossible to beat that, in a bad way of course!    Burke's mechanics that year, was absolutely brilliant.   And i actually really liked McAbe.   Went on to he a star for awhile himself.  

Look at that first round lol.   Jackman, Havlat and the Sedins and a gigantic amount of failures.     If the league didn't lock down and change the rules, things would have been even worse. 

To be fair, that damn Dead Wings managed a coup in the 7th round - Zetterberg.  But that was CLEARLY an anomoly (lol 210th overall!!!) and doesn't go against your premise that the 1999 draft year was indeed blech (eg., you're sometimes going to get a "fluke" prospect in a good or bad draft year but he's the exception not the rule).

OT:  It shows to me Thomas Gradin ain't dumb.  He saw how in depth the Red Wings European scouting was and "urban legend" says that he found out that the Red Wings had SOME interest in some unheralded Swedish prospect playing in a beer league.  Once he found who that was, he went to see to player for himself & got Burkie to acquire an additional higher 3rd round pick to get him before the Red Wings.  That guy was Alexander Edler.  This is part of the reason Burkie trusted Gradin's judgement (on the Sedins, Edler, etc.,).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan