The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

17 minutes ago, mll said:

Treliving had to fly to Montreal to meet Huberdeau.  Why go cross-country if he trains there in the summer.

He may be in Montreal to visit family, who knows.  I'm sure he's not there the entire summer.  My buddy is a huge Flames fan and knows people in Calgary.  Huberdeau is there in the summertime training with other NHL players. 

Also, why sign in Calgary now if you want to be in Montreal?  Gaudreau left $15 million on the table to get out of Calgary.  If Huberdeau didn't like Calgary no way he would be signing an extension now...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

Miller will not sign for less the 9+ for a six or less deal. 8x8 sure... Maybe..  But less term means he's making 9 at least. Just crazy thinking otherwise. Guys on the up in a huge way. His only downside is his age otherwise he's our best player. His ask is going to be 10 or close to. 

41 minutes ago, gurn said:

That is a lot of money for a 37year old hockey player, even if the cap goes up 10 mill by then.

When they let the cap go up in 2 years (which is ridiculous imo they could let it go up this year and be fine) it'll go up by 8 mil at least.  Last season, there were record revenues by the league.  They'll be fine by the cap.  However, in 5 years, they'll have a declining player on a $10.5M AAV.  Treliving is going all in on a cup.

4 minutes ago, VanCan2023 said:

Lol Calgary is actually a clean decent City, that everyone loved for decades sharing the countless billions they contributed to us and the country. Bure, Kes, Juice among others wanted out here to. Well Bure went to Florida and they went to California soooo. West is still best, but we all know the province beside us isn't that bad. Diss Russia or something, not our own.  

I have family out there it isn't that bad, people love to blow the the proportion out of the porpoises blow hole

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Miller is also a centre, Huberdeau is a winger.  What this contract means is that for sure, Miller will be gone and the Canucks will get a poor return because any team who takes him will have to pay big big money.

Worst case scenario is we keep him and use him for the playoffs or flip him at the TDL if we are out of the race. We should still get a 1st and a decent level prospect or player returned to us.

Interesting deal. He's a very very good player, but that's also a lot of money. Could be one of the few expensive deals that are worth it if he performs. That said, Weegar is almost 100% leaving at the TDL or via free agency now, unless I'm just way off on my guess of their cap space.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Worst case scenario is we keep him and use him for the playoffs or flip him at the TDL if we are out of the race. We should still get a 1st and a decent level prospect or player returned to us.

If the Canucks get a top 4 D, 1st and a grade A or B+ prospect, it'll be a miracle.  It'll certainly be less.  But moreover, they may move him as a rental only and we could see him in free agency next summer because until the cap goes up there will be severe limitations on the number of teams who could afford him.

I hate the cap.  It's screwing up the league

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You would think they would have learned that from Lucic.

Edm signed Luch, Cal signed James Neal. Few years later they traded 1 for 1. Those original signings were the same day we signed Erickson. Gm's must have shared some good herb that deadline day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Huberdeau   29 yrs               Last 4 seasons:             J.T  Miller 29 yrs

2021-22 - GP 80 - PTS 115                          GP 80 - PTS - 99

2020-21 -GP  55 -   PTS. 61                         GP 53 - PTS -  46

2019-20  -GP 69 - PTS   78                          GP 69 - PTS -- 72

2018-19 -GP 82 -  PTS   92                          GP 74 - PTS  -  47

Ignoring the number from 4 years ago which is irrelevant…. Their production is close enough that Miller’s camp could certainly be thinking they are worth just a million less per year than Huberdeau.  Especially since Miller plays centre rather than wing which is a more premium position.

If the actual market value for Huberdeau is $10.5 then It isn’t at al unreasonably for Miller to expect to be worth $9.5 or more since he would be a UFA with lots of suitors.

We shouldn’t be paying that but someone absolutely will if Miller doesn’t drop off drastically this season.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

If he didn't sign here long term when the opportunity was there for Benning to talk to him about, at his leisure, this is the mess we're in now. Foresight is everything!  

He couldn’t be re-signed until July 13

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting deal. He's a very very good player, but that's also a lot of money. Could be one of the few expensive deals that are worth it if he performs. That said, Weegar is almost 100% leaving at the TDL or via free agency now, unless I'm just way off on my guess of their cap space.

Capfriendly has them at roughly 16m, with 15 players signed for next season. Still plenty of cap to re-sign Weegar.

Edited by shiznak
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He may be in Montreal to visit family, who knows.  I'm sure he's not there the entire summer.  My buddy is a huge Flames fan and knows people in Calgary.  Huberdeau is there in the summertime training with other NHL players. 

Also, why sign in Calgary now if you want to be in Montreal?  Gaudreau left $15 million on the table to get out of Calgary.  If Huberdeau didn't like Calgary no way he would be signing an extension now...

How many teams would give 10.5M x 8 to a 30 year old.  Montreal is in a retool and unlikely to give him that kind of contract - they are not ready to contend just yet.  There's not much cap space around the league and it's expected to be just as tight next year (- the escrow balance is not yet paid out).  

He's currently playing in the LSHL in Montreal - the equivalent of Da Beauty League.  Maybe his summer is spread in 2.

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Lucic and Monahan are off the books next summer for Calgary. That wipes off almost $12 million right there. If they are tight against the cap I am sure they can trade Tanev to free up the money to re-sign Weegar.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson