The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Canuck Players using Expected Goals Above Replacement

Rate this topic

JamesB

I love Connor Garland, so no need to convince me that he has value. But if a metric states he’s more valuable than JT Miller, then that is an obvious flaw in the metric.

And I know Myers is not good, and that his counting stats last year were mostly an indication of how OEL covered for him. But THAT bad? Seems a bit extreme. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

I love Connor Garland, so no need to convince me that he has value. But if a metric states he’s more valuable than JT Miller, then that is an obvious flaw in the metric.

And I know Myers is not good, and that his counting stats last year were mostly an indication of how OEL covered for him. But THAT bad? Seems a bit extreme. 

If you'd like some understanding as to why this metric weighs Garland above Miller, here are a few reasons (remember, as with most advanced stats, it's about the numbers as opposed to the eye test)

Firstly, as JamesB mentioned, this metric puts weight on penalties taken Vs. drawn, and Miller was 21 and 21 whereas Garland took 13 penalties and drew 31. Another reason is 5 on 5 production Vs. PP, JT had almost 2 minutes more of even strength ice time per game then CG but JT only put up 59 even strength points to CG's 49. That puts JT at 2.81 points per 60 min of 5 on 5 ice time, whereas CG is 2.60

These factors, combined with a few other smaller variables are why this combination metric rates Garland over Miller.

Also, it must be linemates or the fact that in Van PP1 gets 1:40 of each PP and PP2 gets the last 0:20, but Garland has been super snakebit on the PP his whole career. 119 career 5-on-5 points Vs. only 29 career PP points in 532 minutes on the PP. Wow.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Other than goals and plus minus, aren't most of the analytic numbers just eye test?

Is that shot from the slot, or is it just a bit to the left of the slot? In which case is it not a shot from the left side?

If so, who decided it was from the left side?- Somebody using their eyes?

Was it a hit? Well maybe to you, but to me that looked more like a push or did it look more like  he pinned him to the boards but didn't hit him?

Someone had to use their eyes to decide if the "hit" met the criteria.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Is there a way to look at this metric laid out over the course of the whole season? 

Do you mean game-by-game?

Like a graph plotting how a player’s xGAR changed from game-to-game over the whole season?

I don’t know of any free source for this kind of data. It’s certainly possible to generate, but you’d need to pay someone for it, I’d think. 

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Also, it must be linemates or the fact that in Van PP1 gets 1:40 of each PP and PP2 gets the last 0:20, but Garland has been super snakebit on the PP his whole career. 119 career 5-on-5 points Vs. only 29 career PP points in 532 minutes on the PP. Wow.

It doesn't surprise me. Garland's game is based on speed/stamina, grinding, and taking shots when they are not expected. Putting him on a fairly stationary PP setup, when the defending team is focused on defending shots, takes away his strengths. And he doesn't have the size/strength to play a net-front role, which is where most grinders who have success on the PP find it.

Garland's value is on more of a checking/match-up line, as someone who can disrupt and transition to offense. Also, I'm not sure of the numbers on this, but I suspect he's an above-average penalty-killer.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Measurements should simply reinforce & support good coaching. Which is about crafting effective tactics. Teaching & practicing skills till the execution of siad tactics are immaculate. 

If you are not sure what good coaching looks like?

Practice analytics!  ::D

Would you have the full list of metrics that go into xGAR? As much as I'd love to rag on Myers for his contract is the metric being fair to him as a defenseman who was matched against the other team's top lines (quality of comp)? What are the stats on the defensive side of the game included here if any or is this stat generally geared towards offensive side players?

I'm wondering as well what the league average xGAR for defensemen was. Whether it was a net positive or negative.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

What pushed Garland higher than Miller on GAR and xGAR is defence and penalties.

On offence, Miller has some very strong numbers: 19.7 GAR and 14.9 xGAR. Roughly doubling the offensive on-ice (team) impact of Garland over a season (11 GAR, 6.7 xGAR, for Garland’s offensive contributions).

But Miller’s overall GAR and xGAR are negatively impacted by his defence (-3.2 GAR, -2.7 xGAR) and penalties (-0.1 GAR, -0.1 xGAR). Whereas Garland adds significant value in these areas (defence: 3.4 GAR, 3.8 xGAR; penalties: 3.6 GAR, 3.6 xGAR).

Added all together, you get a slightly higher GAR (18 vs 16.4) and xGAR (14 vs 12.2) for Garland than Miller.

Honestly, this fits rather well with my eye test.

Miller is a dominant offensive player. This is obvious just watching him. But he can also be a defensive liability (I think we’ve all seen it) and this shows up in the overall data. Similarly, he takes some bad penalties and doesn’t draw enough calls to balance this out.

Garland is a good offensive player, but he was nowhere near Miller’s level last year on offence. But Garland adds almost equal value (to his offence) over a season through his defensive on-ice impacts and his ability to draw significantly more penalties than he takes.

This data just confirms the eye test (for me, anyway).

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Would you have the full list of metrics that go into xGAR? As much as I'd love to rag on Myers for his contract is the metric being fair to him as a defenseman who was matched against the other team's top lines (quality of comp)? What are the stats on the defensive side of the game included here if any or is this stat generally geared towards offensive side players?

I'm wondering as well what the league average xGAR for defensemen was. Whether it was a net positive or negative.

https://evolving-hockey.com/glossary/goals-above-replacement/

EDIT: and their series on wins above replacement goes even deeper:

https://evolving-hockey.com/blog/wins-above-replacement-history-philosophy-and-objectives-part-1/

https://evolving-hockey.com/blog/wins-above-replacement-the-process-part-2/

https://evolving-hockey.com/blog/wins-above-replacement-replacement-level-decisions-results-and-final-remarks-part-3/

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Do you mean game-by-game?

Like a graph plotting how a player’s xGAR changed from game-to-game over the whole season?

I don’t know of any free source for this kind of data. It’s certainly possible to generate, but you’d need to pay someone for it, I’d think. 

yup thats what I'd love to see if someone is on a pay site and can generate it. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

yup thats what I'd love to see if someone is on a pay site and can generate it. 

Yeah, it would be interesting. 

We do know that Miller’s pace under Boudreau was 112 points, compared to a 74 point pace under Green (both projected over 80 games played), so I’d expect to see a significant uptick in his GAR/xGAR after the coaching change, but still mostly driven by his offensive GAR/xGAR.

We also know that, unlike some of the other star players, Miller was killing penalties from day one of the season, so he carries shorthanded GAR/xGAR stats from the dark days under Green.

Considering that a huge chunk of his negative defensive GAR/xGAR comes from his PK stats, it’s possible the overall season stats somewhat misrepresent how “bad” he is defensively.

I wouldn’t expect to see him become a significantly positive defensive player if you separate out the games under Green (as Miller has been negative defensive GAR for the majority of his career and for every season he’s played with the Canucks), but maybe Miller gets closer to “neutral” defensive impact for last season, if he’s playing just under Boudreau.

• Cheers 1

These stats are unreliable, especially for last year, because they don't separate when Green was coaching versus Boudreau.  I'd like to see the numbers simply under Boudreau when we had a real coach.

Also, Garland is sheltered playing 3rd line minutes while Miller and Petey play against the other teams best players, so of course they would be getting more penalties chasing around the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl.  Also, Garland's game is not as effective if he is on the PP as he is stationary as others mentioned and doesn't have the same skill and shot to get goals on the PP versus Miller, Petey, Horvat and Boeser.  Garland would actually be an average PP performer which is why he doesn't get the same minutes as the other guys.  With the players we have now I don't see Garland even being a regular on the 2nd PP unit to be honest.  I'd have Podkolzin and Kuzmenko ahead of him.  Garland's game doesn't translate well to the PK either.  I wouldn't have him on the first 3 units as of right now.  

Garland's game is built for 5 on 5 hockey, which is where he excels.  Unfortunately for him the special teams are where you win and lose the games and Garland just isn't a very effective special teams player.

It also doesn't surprise me that Petey is at the top of this list.  He is our best player and these stats just confirm what we already know.  Miller can put up more points but at the end of the day Petey is a better 200' player and when he is at his best he can also match Miller point for point.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, it would be interesting. 

We do know that Miller’s pace under Boudreau was 112 points, compared to a 74 point pace under Green (both projected over 80 games played), so I’d expect to see a significant uptick in his GAR/xGAR after the coaching change, but still mostly driven by his offensive GAR/xGAR.

We also know that, unlike some of the other star players, Miller was killing penalties from day one of the season, so he carries shorthanded GAR/xGAR stats from the dark days under Green.

Considering that a huge chunk of his negative defensive GAR/xGAR comes from his PK stats, it’s possible the overall season stats somewhat misrepresent how “bad” he is defensively.

I wouldn’t expect to see him become a significantly positive defensive player if you separate out the games under Green (as Miller has been negative defensive GAR for the majority of his career and for every season he’s played with the Canucks), but maybe Miller gets closer to “neutral” defensive impact for last season, if he’s playing just under Boudreau.

I was really wondering more about Myers... did he improve under Bruce?

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Why are you clipping my post to get a couple of soundbites?  I said the stats were unreliable mainly because they don't separate the numbers under Green versus Boudreau.  I also said these numbers already confirm what we already know about Petey, which is easy to figure out using the eye test.  I don't need advanced stats to tell me that Petey is a better all around player than Miller.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I was really wondering more about Myers... did he improve under Bruce?

Don’t have time for a deep dive, but I think Myers was one of the lesser affected players, in terms of his overall stats before and after the coaching change.

Possibly some of his underlyings even went down. I seem to remember him holding his head above water for part of the season under Green (at least relative to the team) and some early talk about him and OEL being considered a good shutdown pairing in the league (with the stats to back this up).

By season’s end, Myers had only a slightly positive GAR (still an achievement, I suppose, given it was the first time he was “above replacement” in five years) but he also had his absolute career worst xGAR (-7.3).