The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wow Kuz!

Rate this topic

iceman64

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Garland is a good player.  Kuzmenko is better.  I expect Garland is on the trade block. 

Based on what?  That he can score a goal when he's up against no defencemen and an AHL goalie?

Garland scored 55pts last season, is great at keeping the puck in the offensive end and can handle the

defensive game in his own end.

Hopefully Kuzy can bring his offensive skills to the NHL this season.  Scouting reports indicate that he is a

good playmaker and can skate well, but his defensive game is not very good.

• Cheers 1

He is a complete wildcard and it will be interesting to see how it works out.  He could be a complete bust not being able to keep the pace or he could score 25 goals and be competing with Boeser as our top scoring winger.

I will be really interested to see if Boudreau keeps Petterson at centre, they have talked several times about him maybe being a winger like he was primarily in his good years in the SHL.

Being able to roll three really good scoring lines is really tempting and would make matchups a nightmare for opposition.  If you can throw out a Horvat line to keep a top heavy team's scorers to a draw... then our more offensive players could have a field day against 3rd and 4th line opponents.

Kuzmenko-Miller-Podkolzin
Garland-Petterson-Boeser
Mikheyev-Horvat-Hoglander
Pearson-Lazar-Dickenson
Joshua

Swap out Hoglander and Joshua depending on the opponent.

We don't really need a traditional strict checking line, as that 3rd line is good enough all around to basically play most top lines head to head being able to score as well as hold skilled guys off the scoresheet.  The 4th line is dependable enough you can put them out against anyone as well and give yourself better matchups.  Look at a team like Edmonton and the scraps they throw out as bottom lines who would then have to face a Miller or Petterson line.

The defence is still a dog's breakfast, but the depth of forwards should be able to keep us in the wildcard mix for a playoff spot.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Garland is a good player.  Kuzmenko is better.  I expect Garland is on the trade block. 

It will be interesting to see out of all our forwards we now have, who finally gets the chopping block ????    We won't have too much longer to wait.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

Slick "between the legs" move ..... I guess he saw the clip of Hoagie's (in the recent exhibition game, on a pass from Karlsson) and thought "anything you can do ..."

It's actually in his YouTube highlights as well, he does it a lot. Nice to have that move in your arsenal, looking forward to see him in a shootout or 2.. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It will be interesting to see out of all our forwards we now have, who finally gets the chopping block ????    We won't have too much longer to wait.

Probably Garland and Pearson gone, rumour has it if it's to a contender, Pearson would wave his ntc.. 

And Hogs, hard to say, he needs to have a monster training camp onward or he'll be gone as well. 

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2022 at 8:58 PM, iceman64 said:

Normally I'd be the one saying what you said but everything I've seen about him screams loud of pure talent, and to match Petey's number over there, you need to have to have some sick talent so I think this pretty much ices the cake but yes we'll see. 

If you can skate in on a goalie and do Sedinary between your legs up to the crossbar and make it look easy time and time again. I think he's a safe bet, whether superstar here or not is up in the air

It doesn't matter too much to Canucks if Kuz becomes a "super star" because realistically we get him for 1 year on the cheap and then he is off to the highest bidder if he blossoms.

He won't be affordable to keep long term so we just need him to do really well this year as a filler, the rest of his career good luck to him. Any smart fan and better knows he doesn't have a future as a Canuck long term.

• Vintage 1

On 8/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, iceman64 said:

Oh whoops yeah sorry my bad, long day. Sure stoked about Kuz, sort of anyway.. 

Just hope it isn't good to be true and the Vancouver curse strikes again

well, there is

concussions

knee injury

girls

crew

booze

fort night

gem stones

RYR-1

what could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

It doesn't matter too much to Canucks if Kuz becomes a "super star" because realistically we get him for 1 year on the cheap and then he is off to the highest bidder if he blossoms.

He won't be affordable to keep long term so we just need him to do really well this year as a filler, the rest of his career good luck to him. Any smart fan and better knows he doesn't have a future as a Canuck long term.

The advantage they have is that they would have first dibbs at re-signing him if they thought he was a great fit.  I could easily see them re-signing and moving on from players like Garland and/or Pearson if they want to keep the Russian Troika together.  (grant me a little poetic license, I know they're all wingers)  

I see Miller gone as well by the end of next season at the very latest unless say, they can't keep Kuzmenko and they ship out Garland for picks.  Aren't they saying that the cap may go up in 24-25?

Also, factor in that they're shopping for a RHD (2 after the Chaos Giraffe's contract expires at the end of 23-24).

What I'm saying is that nothing is set in stone and there is flexibility even with a cap strapped team.  If Kuz turns out to be core calibre, they'll make it work.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Ummm... How about a smart Vancouver fan, knowing that the league had a very successful year and it keeps going as it did last season, the players will have paid off the escrow and a hefty raise in cap 2024, we could do him a bridge deal and/or cap dump enough to keep him. 

There's options... 

On 8/23/2022 at 9:33 AM, higgyfan said:

Based on what?  That he can score a goal when he's up against no defencemen and an AHL goalie?

Garland scored 55pts last season, is great at keeping the puck in the offensive end and can handle the

defensive game in his own end.

Hopefully Kuzy can bring his offensive skills to the NHL this season.  Scouting reports indicate that he is a

good playmaker and can skate well, but his defensive game is not very good.

I found his defensive game to be alright. It's very mediocre but it's not a liability. 1 on 1 he's not great but he positions well to prevent guys from moving into threatening situations. However one thing I did find is he can overhandle the puck and put himself into risky situations because he's such a creative player. That is the one end of his defensive game he can improve but jumping over the NHL there's a chance he plays more cautiously. Who knows! 

On 8/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, Provost said:

He is a complete wildcard and it will be interesting to see how it works out.  He could be a complete bust not being able to keep the pace or he could score 25 goals and be competing with Boeser as our top scoring winger.

I will be really interested to see if Boudreau keeps Petterson at centre, they have talked several times about him maybe being a winger like he was primarily in his good years in the SHL.

Being able to roll three really good scoring lines is really tempting and would make matchups a nightmare for opposition.  If you can throw out a Horvat line to keep a top heavy team's scorers to a draw... then our more offensive players could have a field day against 3rd and 4th line opponents.

Kuzmenko-Miller-Podkolzin
Garland-Petterson-Boeser
Mikheyev-Horvat-Hoglander
Pearson-Lazar-Dickenson
Joshua

Swap out Hoglander and Joshua depending on the opponent.

We don't really need a traditional strict checking line, as that 3rd line is good enough all around to basically play most top lines head to head being able to score as well as hold skilled guys off the scoresheet.  The 4th line is dependable enough you can put them out against anyone as well and give yourself better matchups.  Look at a team like Edmonton and the scraps they throw out as bottom lines who would then have to face a Miller or Petterson line.

The defence is still a dog's breakfast, but the depth of forwards should be able to keep us in the wildcard mix for a playoff spot.

Imo they absolutely need Petey to play C

• Cheers 1