The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

On 10/21/2022 at 12:30 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Thompson turns 25 in a week.  So he's only 2 1/2 years younger than Horvat.  Horvat isn't a 1C but neither is Thompson or Cozens.  They are still figuring it all out.  Buffalo looks like a team that can challenge for the playoffs this year.  So their rebuild is pretty much over.  They've had 5 first round picks over the last 2 years so they've collected enough young talent.

It's time for them to get some veterans in place to help them in the playoffs.  They have tons of cap space as well to sign a big UFA in the summer.  I can see them going after a top 6 forward and a goalie.

They just beat Calgary tonight.  They look like a playoff team right now...

Still trying to trade horvat the only Center that wins draws and has played well. Miller was a mistake like most career year contracts. If they can still  find someone that ll take him he’s still the guy that needs to go. 
terrible would be an understatement for him  this season. 

7 minutes ago, combover said:

Still trying to trade horvat the only Center that wins draws and has played well. Miller was a mistake like most career year contracts. If they can still  find someone that ll take him he’s still the guy that needs to go. 

They have to trade Bo at this point (at the TDL) they can't make the same mistake they made last year with JTM. Even if the team takes positive steps out of this horrible start, the general make up of the team is not conducive to long term success.

Bo is a good player but he isn't a Captain, he can't lead this team through the tough periods. Both Bo and JTM provide little push at 5 on 5.

25 minutes ago, combover said:

Did Horvat play last night?  I must have missed all those goals he scored. Oh wait, he didn’t score any, didn’t have any points, was a -2 and his line was the worst on the ice. 

To put the cherry on top Petey was better in the face off circle than Horvat. Horvat should be ashamed of himself for being the captain of the worst team in the league. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did Horvat play last night?  I must have missed all those goals he scored. Oh wait, he didn’t score any, didn’t have any points, was a -2 and his line was the worst on the ice. 

To put the cherry on top Petey was better in the face off circle than Horvat. Horvat should be ashamed of himself for being the captain of the worst team in the league. 

Your own narrative on Bo  blinds you to the laziest player on the ice. Miller standing still looking like a pylon in front of his net is pure passion…… and it started in the preseason. 

but atleast he smashes his stick and tells the media he’s mad.lol. 
And Bo didn’t build this team a total idiot did that idiot should be ashamed. 

I’m fine with trading Bo in fact I’d be surprised if we didn’t I’m not sure he actually wants to play here. i believed the stories from  last year that Bo and miller didn’t see eye to eye miller getting resigned instead of moved to actually improve the team was a mistake, and re occurring theme. 

It’ll be a eye opener for some  when Bo leaves just like tanev at how much he actually did/does.. if only someone told him acting like a child would be worth millions I’m sure he’d break a stick a pout. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

Your own narrative on Bo  blinds you to the laziest player on the ice. Miller standing still looking like a pylon in front of his net is pure passion…… and it started in the preseason. 

but atleast he smashes his stick and tells the media he’s mad.lol. 
And Bo didn’t build this team a total idiot did that idiot should be ashamed. 

I’m fine with trading Bo in fact I’d be surprised if we didn’t I’m not sure he actually wants to play here. i believed the stories from  last year that Bo and miller didn’t see eye to eye miller getting resigned instead of moved to actually improve the team was a mistake, and re occurring theme. 

It’ll be a eye opener for some  when Bo leaves just like tanev at how much he actually did/does.. if only someone told him acting like a child would be worth millions I’m sure he’d break a stick a pout. 

BO should really spend some time with Stan Smyl. Watching some of his old game films. Really have a heart to heart with him on how to be a leader and a captain of an NHL team. I think it could really help BO in his future career with whatever team he decides to sign with in the summer. 

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO should really spend some time with Stan Smyl. Watching some of his old game films. Really have a heart to heart with him on how to be a leader and a captain of an NHL team. I think it could really help BO in his future career with whatever team he decides to sign with in the summer. 

Hahaha 

I bet you hated  hank as captain to.

there’s more than one way to be a leader.
what you and I see is only a small percent. 
Bo seems to be well respected he’s doing something right. 

personally I think they chose wrong by signing miller over Bo 

time will tell. 
boesers days here are numbered to. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, combover said:

Hahaha 

I bet you hated  hank as captain to.

there’s more than one way to be a leader.
what you and I see is only a small percent. 
Bo seems to be well respected he’s doing something right. 

personally I think they chose wrong by signing miller over Bo 

time will tell. 
boesers days here are numbered to. 

I’d trade them all. And blow hard for Bedard. It’s the only way to move forward with a proper rebuild. 

• There it is 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d trade them all. And blow hard for Bedard. It’s the only way to move forward with a proper rebuild. 

You might get your wish, if this continues I could see Bo wanting a fresh start somewhere else if he doesn't already. Could see Miller shipped out to free up future cap space and maybe bring assets back. 

Didn't JR mention retool? If we're out of it before Christmas, and there's a good chance we will be, it might force his hand. Plans change. Could end up being a rebuild of sorts. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You might get your wish, if this continues I could see Bo wanting a fresh start somewhere else if he doesn't already. Could see Miller shipped out to free up future cap space and maybe bring assets back. 

Didn't JR mention retool? If we're out of it before Christmas, and there's a good chance we will be, it might force his hand. Plans change. Could end up being a rebuild of sorts. 

Honest question. Is JT tradeable? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Honest question. Is JT tradeable? 

I believe so, but with his 8M extension kicking in there's a good chance we'd have to take a contract another team doesn't want back. Or at least some cap back, there aren't too many teams with a wack of open cap space and we just got run over by one of them last night. Who knows, we're only six games in, the sooner we trade him the more likely we are to get positive value imo. 

I don't believe he's suddenly worthless, and I think he could be serviceable to another team in an offensive capacity, but his game away from the puck is exactly what it was last year and if we're trending towards a rebuild or retool open cap space is worth more to us than Miller imo. I don't see us contending any time soon and realistically we haven't even gotten to the part where he's declining yet. 

I said last year was likely a career year for him, a peak. He's a high risk high reward sort of player and as he declines there's likely to be less reward. If Bo happens to go too it is what it is, but I'd absolutely be looking to move Miller before his protection clauses kick in. I was all for building around the young core down the stretch and during the summer, maybe I'll get my wish. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I believe so, but with his 8M extension kicking in there's a good chance we'd have to take a contract another team doesn't want back. Or at least some cap back, there aren't too many teams with a wack of open cap space and we just got run over by one of them last night. Who knows, we're only six games in, the sooner we trade him the more likely we are to get value imo. 

I don't believe he's suddenly worthless, and I think he could be serviceable to another team in an offensive capacity, but his game away from the puck is exactly what it was last year and if we're trending towards a rebuild or retool open cap space is worth more to us than Miller imo. I don't see us contending any time soon and realistically we haven't even gotten to the part where he's declining yet. 

I said last year was likely a career year for him, a peak. He's a high risk high reward sort of player and as he declines there's likely to be less reward. If Bo happens to go too it is what it is, but I'd absolutely be looking to move Miller before his protection clauses kick in. I was all for building around the young core down the stretch and during the summer, maybe I'll get my wish. 

Needs a team with a solid, veteran leadership group and solid 2 way players to put around him. Teams like Calgary, Boston, Pittsburgh, maybe Washington come to mind.

Haven't looked, but at least some of those must have cap coming off next year where we maybe only need to take a ~$3m'ish (preferably shorter 2-3 year term) guy back. Boston IIRC has some LTIR to play with currently as well.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Needs a team with a solid, veteran leadership group and solid 2 way players to put around him. Teams like Calgary, Boston, Pittsburgh, maybe Washington come to mind.

Haven't looked, but at least some of those must have cap coming off next year where we maybe only need to take a ~$3m'ish (preferably shorter 2-3 year term) guy back. Boston IIRC has some LTIR to play with currently as well.

I still think Boston could be a landing spot, this could very well be Bergeron's last season and I don't see them wanting to commit to a rebuild given the talent they've still got on that roster. They're off to a good start, I reckon they'll want to sustain that at least a few more years if they can. Put Miller in the #1 or #2 spot over there and maybe he's a fit. 

Say.. Miller for Debrusk and a 1st or Lysell, cap this season is basically a wash and we're left with a player with a single year left on his deal who we can either re-sign, flip, or allow to walk. We aren't getting Carlo from them. Hell, maybe Miller for Foligno or Zach+ if they want to keep Debrusk. Bergeron is playing for a cheap deal and so is Krejci and they could both be gone after this season. 

Sure, they've gotta pay Pasta but they'll want a center for him somehow. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Hell, we could do Boston a real favour and take Coyle off their hands and still come out ahead. After this season he'll have three seasons at 5.25M left on his deal but if we're retooling or whatever it won't matter, that's still four years fewer than Miller and our doing them a favour capwise would be more likely to get us good value back on top of him. 

Take Coyle from them and they're only adding 2.75M to fit Miller in. 

51 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Miller needs to go not Bo. 

Or both?!!!  Take Boeser too?  

The trouble with this season so far is that there are a lot of stinkers out there.  Tells you more about the system and leadership than individual players.  This isn't just 1-5 players playing poorly.  There's a lot of perimeter play and no cohesiveness to the group.