The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

14 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah back in the day Messier was actually my second favorite Oiler after Paul Coffey.  Dropped down the list when he became a Ranger, dropped further down when he became a Canuck.

A lot of players I really liked on the Clarke Flyers...  Bill Barber, Mark Howe, Rick MacLeish, Paul Holmgren, Ken Linseman, Pete Peeters, Bob Froese...

And the Roy Canadiens...  Mike McPhee, Brian Skrudland, Stephane Richer, Craig Ludwig, Chelios, Kirk Muller, Denis Savard...

I had a tough time processing 1994.   I was still a Messier fan then.  Watched every 1989-90 playoff game, and was rooting for the Oilers.    They were not the favourite anymore.   Gretzky and his Kings beat them the previous year ... wasn't until much later that i found out EDM just didn't have the spirit to play against their former Captain yet, and wasn't really trying, was still in shell shock to a degree - Coffey was gone too.   

1990 EDM was considered a dark horse more then a favourite.  Ranford was still a relatively unknown commodity (was about to change that), and CAL for sure had surpassed them as the team to beat in their division/conference.    The Kings were making some noise too.  Gretzky was doing his thing.   Messier's legend was about to reach an entirely new level as well.  Behind Gretzky's shadow, it was soon to be his time to shine.  

Messier ended up pacing the lead for points 31, tied with Craig Simpson (who lead the playoffs with 16 goals) ... and would have been a deserving Conn Smythe winner - but they got it right with Ranford.   He seemed unstoppable.   One of the best goalie performances ive ever seen, a 50/52 save effort in Game one triple OT winner, still the record for a final game.   IF Boston scored, and he made some awesome saves against the likes of guys like Neely, it would have been a much different series.  The 4-1 doesn't really show the story - same as LA's 93 4-1... they should have been up 2-0 to start that series, Roy was simply unreal... 

Anyways Messier won a cup and EDM had one last hurrah before he went to NYR and Kurri was re-united with Gretzky in LA ... Essa Tikanen was a beast, Simpson too, Anderson his usual self...and curiously Moog was in net over in Boston.    

Messier then of course won his hardware in NYR.   And became a living legend.   Crosby and Ovi level if we had to compare and some.   Never got to see Howe play other then his final season.   I imagine Howe and Messier were pretty similar.   Both bulls.  

When the Oilers re-united and played us, at the start i was pretty stoked.   Of course 100% Canuck by then, i didn't have a second team anymore.  It was crushing, but also bittersweet.   We weren't a contender.  Did have a great season in 93 though, best to date (and still have many club records set that year), the Nedved distraction and gigantic hole for sure played into it.   CAL was still a contender - after we beat them it was pretty apparent we could play with anyone.   If things were different, nobody would be shocked to see CAL beat NYR in the final.  

9 ex Oilers i think it was on that roster.   All long in the tooth by then ... and as the final went on we kept gaining momentum, and became the better team.   Messier's cross check at the end of game 6, today would have suspended him for game 7.   

Was still excited when we signed him at the start though...he just had two typical Messier seasons, and like Ovi today (or Sakic or Jagr or Sundin) didn't seem to be slowing down at all.   Figured with him, maybe Bure would stick around, and we really needed a second line C of his caliber.   Of course it ended up blowing up the best team we've ever had on paper.   Like throwing a hand grenade into our locker room.   Too bad it wasn't Gretzky instead...Gretzky almost took the Rangers to the finals instead of PHI...ugh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I had a tough time processing 1994.   I was still a Messier fan then.  Watched every 1989-90 playoff game, and was rooting for the Oilers.    They were not the favourite anymore.   Gretzky and his Kings beat them the previous year ... wasn't until much later that i found out EDM just didn't have the spirit to play against their former Captain yet, and wasn't really trying, was still in shell shock to a degree - Coffey was gone too.   

1990 EDM was considered a dark horse more then a favourite.  Ranford was still a relatively unknown commodity (was about to change that), and CAL for sure had surpassed them as the team to beat in their division/conference.    The Kings were making some noise too.  Gretzky was doing his thing.   Messier's legend was about to reach an entirely new level as well.  Behind Gretzky's shadow, it was soon to be his time to shine.  

Messier ended up pacing the lead for points 31, tied with Craig Simpson (who lead the playoffs with 16 goals) ... and would have been a deserving Conn Smythe winner - but they got it right with Ranford.   He seemed unstoppable.   One of the best goalie performances ive ever seen, a 50/52 save effort in Game one triple OT winner, still the record for a final game.   IF Boston scored, and he made some awesome saves against the likes of guys like Neely, it would have been a much different series.  The 4-1 doesn't really show the story - same as LA's 93 4-1... they should have been up 2-0 to start that series, Roy was simply unreal... 

Anyways Messier won a cup and EDM had one last hurrah before he went to NYR and Kurri was re-united with Gretzky in LA ... Essa Tikanen was a beast, Simpson too, Anderson his usual self...and curiously Moog was in net over in Boston.    

Messier then of course won his hardware in NYR.   And became a living legend.   Crosby and Ovi level if we had to compare and some.   Never got to see Howe play other then his final season.   I imagine Howe and Messier were pretty similar.   Both bulls.  

When the Oilers re-united and played us, at the start i was pretty stoked.   Of course 100% Canuck by then, i didn't have a second team anymore.  It was crushing, but also bittersweet.   We weren't a contender.  Did have a great season in 93 though, best to date (and still have many club records set that year), the Nedved distraction and gigantic hole for sure played into it.   CAL was still a contender - after we beat them it was pretty apparent we could play with anyone.   If things were different, nobody would be shocked to see CAL beat NYR in the final.  

9 ex Oilers i think it was on that roster.   All long in the tooth by then ... and as the final went on we kept gaining momentum, and became the better team.   Messier's cross check at the end of game 6, today would have suspended him for game 7.   

Was still excited when we signed him at the start though...he just had two typical Messier seasons, and like Ovi today (or Sakic or Jagr or Sundin) didn't seem to be slowing down at all.   Figured with him, maybe Bure would stick around, and we really needed a second line C of his caliber.   Of course it ended up blowing up the best team we've ever had on paper.   Like throwing a hand grenade into our locker room.   Too bad it wasn't Gretzky instead...Gretzky almost took the Rangers to the finals instead of PHI...ugh. 

Yeah the greats really do seem to have one last playoff push in them that they seem to have no business producing at that point in their careers and with their regular seasons declining.

Gretzky that last playoff year in NY.  Linden against Turco.  King Richard with the Whalers after we traded him near the end of his final year.  Jeremy Roenick had some crazy four point game 7 or something in his final game I think.  Corey Perry has been doing it as the entire denouement of his career.

Miller technically has two contracts. Is it possible to retain on the current one without having to also retain on his new one?

We all know nashville wants to win but they are kinda struggling. Imagine a Miller for jeannot deal. Losing production but gain a very hard player to play against. Always top of the league in hits for fwds

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Miller technically has two contracts. Is it possible to retain on the current one without having to also retain on his new one?

We all know nashville wants to win but they are kinda struggling. Imagine a Miller for jeannot deal. Losing production but gain a very hard player to play against. Always top of the league in hits for fwds

I was actually wondering this… it seems like it should be possible.

That could really add to Miller’s value if we don’t put ourself on a winning track.  Retain 50% for some team that has high expectations for this season and give them time to ensure they have cap space next season.

Miller may not be a 99 point guy,  but a 60-80 point guy who can play all three forward positions at less than $3 million is pretty attractive.  

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

Retain 50% for some team that has high expectations for this season and give them time to ensure they have cap space next season. 

If Allvin could pull this off that would be genius move. 

It would open so many options for this franchise if we got a high pick and/or top d-prospect in return. 

If not, it looks like the only move that could give us some options is trading BoHo at the deadline - something that didn't pan out last season with Miller unfortunately. 

On 10/24/2022 at 11:00 AM, BPA said:

I wish he’d get a power skating coach.  He’d do well getting some quick steps to get separation.

He needs to go see whoever Bo spent the summer with 3 years ago. Bo used to be middle of the pack for speed, then all of a sudden he started picking up speed on crossovers and blowing past defenders on the outside.

15 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Where’s the undo button…..

If only someone could have foreseen how horrible this decision would turn out to be.

Maribeth Monroe Reaction GIF by CBS

On 10/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, aGENT said:

My 2nd team has been the Avs since the Forsberg/Sakic/Roy days, so I got that going for me!:lol:

Just thinking about the slack that Bo gets because he doesn't act like some tough guy cheerleader out there yelling and screaming at people like the almighty great leader JT. Reminds me of this guy who was alright:

image.jpeg.25696dba20f6478a3a79d6283aa0daeb.jpeg

Named captain of the team in 1992 (after serving as a co-captain in 1990–91), Sakic is regarded as one of the greatest team leaders in league history and was ...

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

I wonder if there’d be much interest in him now that he 
comes with an anchor for a contract. 

Miller is going to be so exposed if/when horvat leaves.lol. 

career year contracts do they ever work out?

oh well not my money hope aquallini group continues to lose money hand over fist celebrating there failure is really the only thing to cheer for. 

Edited by combover

8 minutes ago, combover said:

I wonder if there’d be much interest in him now that he 
comes with an anchor for a contract. 

Miller is going to be so exposed if/when horvat leaves.lol. 

career year contracts do they ever work out?

oh well not my money hope aquallini group continues to lose money hand over fist celebrating there failure is really the only thing to cheer for. 

He just needs to go to a veteran team with solid defensive players/C's and he'd be fine. He's still +/- 1PPG even in this shit show. A veteran/win-now team could still use him, even with that deal.

He'd look good on teams like Boston, Washington, Calgary, Vegas, Carolina etc. And a good chunk of those teams have cap coming off in the summer to afford his extension. We'd also need to take a warm body/short term cap back anyway.

• Cheers 3