The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Put Miller with these 2 beauties for the rest of his career ,  and they are all 80+ getters :)

I'd love to see both these guys be Canucks for the long term. Could be a really good line together too, high effort and skill. 

Hoping they both have great seasons and progress in their development some more. 

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

The depth I'm referring to was moving said forward + additional pieces (Boeser+Rathbone+pick for example) is more than just moving Miller.

Sure but I wouldn't be trading Rathbone or picks. So just one forward gets moved (e.g. Boeser) which is the same number of forwards lost as if Miller was not resigned.

40 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Sure but I wouldn't be trading Rathbone or picks. So just one forward gets moved (e.g. Boeser) which is the same number of forwards lost as if Miller was not resigned.

I doubt we get the D we need/want for just Boeser. Thrilled if it happens!...But wingers just don't have that kind of value alone.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt we get the D we need/want for just Boeser. Thrilled if it happens!...But wingers just don't have that kind of value alone.

This. I keep seeing people suggest Boeser or Garland gets it done. I highly doubt either does. RHD especially are just insanely valued but any top quality D would take more than a winger. 

I would actually be willing to trade Boeser/Garland and a high pick (even possibly a 1st) for the right top pairing quality RHD especially now that they signed Miller and declared their window open now. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This. I keep seeing people suggest Boeser or Garland gets it done. I highly doubt either does. RHD especially are just insanely valued but any top quality D would take more than a winger. 

I would actually be willing to trade Boeser/Garland and a high pick (even possibly a 1st) for the right top pairing quality RHD especially now that they signed Miller and declared their window open now. 

Yep just look what Romanov went for. A 13th overall pick.

Look what Debrincat went for. A 7th overall pick.

I think most people would agree Boeser isn’t worth as much as Debrincat. Maybe closer to a 15th overall pick?

So in turn Boeser’s value would be close to Romanov. Is that a player that drastically changes our D core? Probably not.

Its gonna cost more than Boeser. It’s gonna cost pieces fans probably aren’t comfortable with.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep just look what Romanov went for. A 13th overall pick.

Look what Debrincat went for. A 7th overall pick.

I think most people would agree Boeser isn’t worth as much as Debrincat. Maybe closer to a 15th overall pick?

So in turn Boeser’s value would be close to Romanov. Is that a player that drastically changes our D core? Probably not.

Its gonna cost more than Boeser. It’s gonna cost pieces fans probably aren’t comfortable with.

Yup, which is where this all started with as I was noting the negative side of the ledger of the Miller extension.

Yes, we keep one of our best F's and a C, at under market value... But in turn, we now likely have to lose depth (I'd wager something like Boeser + Rathbone + a secondary guy like Karlsson/Jurmo etc or a pick) to get that D, we get older on average, and we clear less cap.

It's not all sunshine lollypops and rainbows. The Piper will be paid.

(This is what some of us were warning about re: an extension. It wasn't just the age related decline).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yup, which is where this all started with as I was noting the negative side of the ledger of the Miller extension.

Yes, we keep one of our best F's and a C, at under market value... But in turn, we now likely have to lose depth (I'd wager something like Boeser + Rathbone + a secondary guy like Karlsson/Jurmo etc or a pick) to get that D, we get older on average, and we clear less cap.

(This is what some of us were warning about re: an extension. It wasn't just the age related decline).

This is exactly what my “opposition” (if you can call it that) to the Miller extension was. 

I think you are right that some of the depth will need to go. Potentially Hoglander as well. 

Signing Miller is ok but it firmly shortens the time frame to fix the D which undoubtedly means it will cost more to do. Now they have to though imo. 

32 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is exactly what my “opposition” (if you can call it that) to the Miller extension was. 

I think you are right that some of the depth will need to go. Potentially Hoglander as well. 

Signing Miller is ok but it firmly shortens the time frame to fix the D which undoubtedly means it will cost more to do. Now they have to though imo. 

imo Miller re-signing shouldnt change the approach at all.  

Keep tweaking the team.  Players like Meyers, Pearson, Dickinson, potentially Boeser will probably change teams in due time.  Hoagie/Podz are here to stay though.  

IMO Canucks dont need to make desperation moves. Id rather see how competitive the group can be while moving out/moving in longer term players as time goes on.  

The goal should be to make the playoffs every year from here on out while keeping a long term perspective.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My argument would be that we don’t have the pieces to acquire that top 4 D with or without Miller signed though.

Its gonna take a monster season from one of our non core players to get them to that value, or we’re gonna have to be willing to part with high picks.

This is where failing to draft D for 10 years has really cost us. There’s no way to make up for that without hurting yourself in other areas.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

imo Miller re-signing shouldnt change the approach at all.  

Keep tweaking the team.  Players like Meyers, Pearson, Dickinson, potentially Boeser will probably change teams in due time.  Hoagie/Podz are here to stay though.  

IMO Canucks dont need to make desperation moves. Id rather see how competitive the group can be while moving out/moving in longer term players as time goes on.  

The goal should be to make the playoffs every year from here on out while keeping a long term perspective.

The Miller extension essentially stated that this year is their year to make changes and after this one the window needs to be firmly open.

I am not a big believer in the “make the playoffs and anything can happen” approach. It’s simply not at all true or reliable. 

Honestly will not be surprised if Hoglander is traded this year. I hope not as I think long term he has a place but I just think he might be moved.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My argument would be that we don’t have the pieces to acquire that top 4 D with or without Miller signed though.

Its gonna take a monster season from one of our non core players to get them to that value, or we’re gonna have to be willing to part with high picks.

This is where failing to draft D for 10 years has really cost us. There’s no way to make up for that without hurting yourself in other areas.

We have the assets to acquire one. We just won’t like the price paid.

I agree that drafting D in earlier rounds should have been a much higher priority than wingers especially.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

Signing Miller shouldn't alter any plans on areas management want's to improve the team. Whether that be via the trade route or possibly moving a current player

for a draft pick (futures). When his new deal kicks in, that's roughly 2.8 mil. on the cap over what it is now. The overall plan to strengthen the defense, (RHD)

shouldn't be hindered by it. I, for one can see a situation where they possibly make a trade for Pearson or an alike move for draft picks if really necessary.

It doesn’t really alter the plans. It accelerates the time frame to get those plans completed though. Unless wasting the early years of that extension is ok with Canucks brads which I doubt it is. 

Pearson is exactly the type of player/contract that is almost unmoveable  right now for anything of value. Even if he didn’t have a ntc.

Many seem to think it must be a winger for the T4D we need all in one trade. When does that happen? Lol. It would be a winger for picks and prospects as those have most value when trying to aquire a T4D in a separate trade.

If the chemistry is there, we may be in a position to sell a winger with inflated stats while still maintaining our playoff pace. We all have seen TDL prices, We don't need to pretend like the market doesn't fluctuate :P

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Many seem to think it must be a winger for the T4D we need all in one trade. When does that happen? Lol. It would be a winger for picks and prospects as those have most value when trying to aquire a T4D in a separate trade.

If the chemistry is there, we may be in a position to sell a winger with inflated stats while still maintaining our playoff pace. We all have seen TDL prices, We don't need to pretend like the market doesn't fluctuate :P

It would likely take a winger and picks to get back that quality D. 

The problem is the Canucks have not really ever had any appetite to trade roster players at the deadline for any reason if there is even a sliver of hope for the playoffs (which the loser point guarantees for almost every team now at the TDL).