The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Whoever was the guy who said Boudreau would be the first coach fired must have some inside info. I think he is on to something. 

Yep. I can see Bruce getting canned before the end of this year. 

The playoff race is generally "confirmed" by December right? If the Canucks are behind by that point, it's going to be hard to catch up. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller's contract is way worse than OEL's.

What is it with this team, and stupid long term contracts that are anchors. 

Ericksson, OEL, now Miller. 

We will be in fucking perpetual mediocrity. 

Give him 20 games and he’ll be at peak performance. 

the team doesn't have 20 games. If he's playing how he should've to start the season by that point, the team might be so far behind the playoff race, that another run like last season's second half would be, well, too late. If the team misses the postseason, I think it gives Allvin and JR reason to fire Boudreau. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

the team doesn't have 20 games. If he's playing how he should've to start the season by that point, the team might be so far behind the playoff race, that another run like last season's second half would be, well, too late. If the team misses the postseason, I think it gives Allvin and JR reason to fire Boudreau. 

Boudreau should have played him more in the preseason.  You can clearly tell he is out of shape.  He's gassed after 30-40 seconds.  That's on Boudreau.  It's also on Boudreau for having such a sh*tty preseason and not playing the starting lineup much earlier.

People can blame the players all they want but last year they blamed the coach 100% and we basically have the same team as last year.  I would argue our team is actually better and deeper this year, at least on the forward side, than last year...

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

You are such an optimist!

We aspire to hopefully become mediocre one day….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

Miller is 29 not in his mid thirties. So his drop off this year isn’t due to age. He’s out of shape like Petey was last year. Give him 20 games and he’ll be at peak performance. 

Not sure where this team will be in 20 more games though. We could have a new head coach with a few new players by that time. 

That wasn't my point, my point is that he's creeping towards decline whereas Pettersson should continue to ascend with much of his prime remaining.

Hard to say, the longer this drags out though the more likely something significant happens tho imo.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, gurn said:

Time for management to call all the agents; find out:

who wants out

who wants out and will waive movement/trade clauses

who will modify trade clauses

who is willing to move

who wants to stay.

Establish where they are, what they are, and who is going to be here, when they get to their destination.

When it's a country club who wouldn't want to stay.  You get your money, your body doesn't take a beating and you get a long summer break.  Maybe you do a couple bag skates along the way and a few after game interviews.

9 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

lol, yeah imagine if miller keeps playing like this...it would make Player Names contract palatable 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

OEL's contract isn't really even bad. D tend to play to a relatively high level until 34-35'ish (and have slower, less severe drop), which is when his deal expires. At worst, we have like 1...maybe 2 mildly inefficient years at the end there. And the cap should have risen plenty (if predictions hold) by then. Meh. Not the "best deal ever!!", but hardly the albatross some like to make it out as.

Forwards play tends to drop closer to 33-34'ish (and harder) and Miller is signed until he's 37... There's a pretty good chance we have a few years of decent value, a year'ish of mildly inefficient, and a good few years of albatross.

All for what? To continue seeing this team be mediocre and have less young assets, cap space, flexibility to fix it's myriad roster issues....Exactly what some of us warned about.

I'd easily take another OEL contract over the Miller one TBH.

• Cheers 2

Feel like I'm in the minority, but OEL at ~7M until age 35 is actually a very good contract.  He helps stabilize the D which is anything but stable outside of him.  If you want more points out of him you need to put him on PP1, but because PP1 gets the majority of the TOI it will even be worse for him points-wise on PP2.  He has done this before, has a good shot, and reads the play better than most, so if it's just points, we can make that happen if we want.

His contract is not something we need to be concerned over, however Miller's is.  He plays with a bit of a snarl, has some decent hands, but is slow and only going to get slower.  He won't match the pace of the game we are trying to play and the contract will be bad sooner than later.  

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I’m being perfectly factual and you are the one with false information. 

Miller’s new contract hasn’t kicked in yet. He’s still playing on his old contract. So what I said was factually correct. 

There are many words for that… but they all mean lying when you try to mislead by presenting information in a way to try to obscure the truth.

Lying by Omission, Prevarication, Disingenuous, etc 

I know why you think it is clever and that people don’t understand what you are doing.

Everyone understands the context of the discussion is his extension…. It is literally in the actual thread title and is what people are talking about in the thread titled “Canucks Re-Sign JT Miller”  Making an argument that requires your to blatantly ignore the existence of the extension is frankly silly.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

There are many words for that… but they all mean lying when you try to mislead by presenting information in a way to try to obscure the truth.

Lying by Omission, Prevarication, Disingenuous, etc 

I know why you think it is clever and that people don’t understand what you are doing.

Everyone understands the context of the discussion is his extension…. It is literally in the actual thread title and is what people are talking about in the thread titled “Canucks Re-Sign JT Miller”  Making an argument that requires your to blatantly ignore the existence of the extension is frankly silly.

It seems you don’t understand contract law. Maybe you should seek help from someone who does. If you don’t understand that Miller’s old contract and Miller’s new contract are complete different then I can’t help you. 

Miller’s extension hasn’t kicked in yet. Yet you claim he’s not living up to his $8 million salary. 

Maybe you can wait until he’s actually making $8 million before you claim this. Also, are you one of those posters from last year who said Petey belonged in the minors?  I still get a laugh from that. 

The same people who went after Petey last year are the same ones who are going after Miller this year. It never changes. 

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That wasn't my point, my point is that he's creeping towards decline whereas Pettersson should continue to ascend with much of his prime remaining.

Hard to say, the longer this drags out though the more likely something significant happens tho imo.

He is not creeping towards decline. Having a few bad games and actually declining in production are two different things. 

Remember the posters who claimed Petey should be in the minors last year?  Remember how hard everyone went after him for his poor play after he signed his big contract?  Same thing is happening here with Miller. 

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It seems you don’t understand contract law. Maybe you should seek help from someone who does. If you don’t understand that Miller’s old contract and Miller’s new contract are complete different then I can’t help you. 

Miller’s extension hasn’t kicked in yet. Yet you claim he’s not living up to his $8 million salary. 

Maybe you can wait until he’s actually making $8 million before you claim this. Also, are you one of those posters from last year who said Petey belonged in the minors?  I still get a laugh from that. 

The same people who went after Petey last year are the same ones who are going after Miller this year. It never changes. 

Oh come on Pete, even while typing that you gotta know that's a completely bogus response. Are you seriously arguing that Miller should only be judged on his 5.25 Million dollar salary and not his 8 mil long term deal he was signed for. The second a player signs that new deal he should be held accountable accordingly. 

People who attacked Petey last year were misinformed and over reacting, the people who express concern for Miller were likely expressing the same concerns for nearly a year now and starting to see signs of what we were worried about FAR sooner then we ever expected.

The Petey and Miller comparison is apple and oranges. Not even remotely the same thing. You say that the people arguing the Petey and Miller are the same people. I've been around here a long time and I can tell you that is false. Because I've been in the minority about Miller, I have taken note of those who share my opinion. I know for a fact most of those people were not ripping on Petey last year. You're just fabricating that connection to try to make a point.

If anything, I saw far more diehard pro Miller players ripping Petey then vice versa.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

I still feel like Miller is a 65-70 point player all day long on this team for the next few years (He will recover in the upcoming weeks), but he fills a need on this team that is already deep (C/LW) and even deeper with Kuzmenko and Mikhayev.  Could even impact re-signing Kuz which is unfortunate.  It's just not an ideal allocation of cap given that he is in a different age group vs the upcoming core.  If we look directly at what was on the table the question becomes pretty simple in retrospect.  Would we have wanted:

Miller

or

Chytil, Lundkvist, 1st (Maybe RD Maksim Strbak) and Klingberg (UFA who clearly wanted to be here)

Sure, some of those pieces may not have been perfect fits, however you can make some other moves to adjust, once you've captured that initial value.  Doesn't address the direct partner for Quinn either, but overall this feels like it would have been light years better.

OEL Klingberg

Hughes Myers

Lundkvist (Off-side) Schenn

I get the discussion on this not being the best defending group in history (OEL, Myers, Schenn are still pretty good at defending), but they would drive the play very well.  You still need to make adjustments, but look how far we are away from that now.

• Upvote 1