The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do we get a RHD from? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

8 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I wonder "IF" PK Subban could be signed for $1,000,000 per season and get him playing a more defensive role? I mean, up until he played with NJ, that was at the bottom of the league, he was a plus player, this might extend his career, and give Hughes a very good partner. 

Yes, he is a big personality, but so what, he has never been a bad team-mate...........which is all that is important.

Maybe @HighOnHockey can comment? What are your thoughts Jim?

Meh. Wouldn't be the worse option I guess, but he's just not much of an impact player anymore. Looking at my earlier list, he'd fit in near the bottom, but I suppose he would be preferable to a guy like Montour or Grans.

11 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Meh. Wouldn't be the worse option I guess, but he's just not much of an impact player anymore. Looking at my earlier list, he'd fit in near the bottom, but I suppose he would be preferable to a guy like Montour or Grans.

My thought is based around cost and ability, and IMO, I think he still has that. Just need him to be the Ying to Hughes Yang, and support Hughes instead of thinking he is the top dog. But if he would sign a 3 year at $1,000,000 per, he would be a bullet proof option.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

In Rutherford interviews pre-draft he said that his first choice was to re-sign Miller.  Only if he insisted on an unrealistic number for the Canucks would they have to trade him.

Since he was not signed back then, it was assumed that the number was far too high so that they were shopping him. 

I remember JR changing his tune on Miller about two-three weeks before the 2022 TDL.  That’s when Friedman Tweeted that JR (the club) had taken JTM off the trade market and were going to clear cap in order to re-sign him as a number one centre. The Tweet was posted back in that old JTM “trade/sign” thread.  

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I wonder "IF" PK Subban could be signed for $1,000,000 per season and get him playing a more defensive role? I mean, up until he played with NJ, that was at the bottom of the league, he was a plus player, this might extend his career, and give Hughes a very good partner. 

Yes, he is a big personality, but so what, he has never been a bad team-mate...........which is all that is important.

Maybe @HighOnHockey can comment? What are your thoughts Jim?

if he's willing to take that, I think he goes to a big market like NY or LA or even TO.

I wouldn't be opposed to it at that price tho.

4 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

My thought is based around cost and ability, and IMO, I think he still has that. Just need him to be the Ying to Hughes Yang, and support Hughes instead of thinking he is the top dog. But if he would sign a 3 year at $1,000,000 per, he would be a bullet proof option.

Is PK’s personality one that could play that role though?  Would he be able to be the quiet guy in the room and play second fiddle?  If he could fit into that mould, then I guess he could help us.  But can he do that?  He’s very much a big personality.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

if he's willing to take that, I think he goes to a big market like NY or LA or even TO.

I wouldn't be opposed to it at that price tho.

No way he goes to LA.......Too many RHD, Same with NT Rnagers, and NJersey........................maybe Buffalo LOL or The Islanders.......too many RHD allso........

I don't know? Maybe Florida.........everyone goes to Florida!

sunbathing GIF by The Hills

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is PK’s personality one that could play that role though?  Would he be able to be the quiet guy in the room and play second fiddle?  If he could fit into that mould, then I guess he could help us.  But can he do that?  He’s very much a big personality.

Well, he is 33, and not signed. BB (coach) is a big personality, too! And he gets the most out of players, soooooooooooo!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, he is 33, and not signed. BB (coach) is a big personality, too! And he gets the most out of players, soooooooooooo!

Personally I’ve always liked PK.  If he can play second fiddle to either OEL or Hughes then (at the right price) he certainly wouldn’t hurt us.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Personally I’ve always liked PK.  If he can play second fiddle to either OEL or Hughes then (at the right price) he certainly wouldn’t hurt us.  

Exactly Alf, and if we can get him signed to that type of contract, and it doesn't work out, we can void the contract on mutual agreement, send him down to Abby, or trade hi at the TDL...or just let him sit back and relax and work the press box

To me, it would all be about accepting the roll he needs to play in Vancouver

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Exactly Alf, and if we can get him signed to that type of contract, and it doesn't work out, we can void the contract on mutual agreement, send him down to Abby, or trade hi at the TDL...or just let him sit back and relax and work the press box

To me, it would all be about accepting the roll he needs to play in Vancouver

Have we replaced Corey Hirsch yet?  Maybe PK can be our new colour radio guy when he’s not in the lineup. A dual role until he officially retires. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Our biggest current personality is Miller. I would ask him first if he would get along with PK. If so then hell ya! I would love PK on this team. I think PK has a lot more skill at his current state that folks around here give him credit for. I’ve seen him back check, he is not a liability some paint him out to be. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:13 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, there have been countless trade proposals where we get a RHD in the deal, yet we are always trading a valuable piece that weakens our forward group. So where do we get our much needed RHD?

Why are we in this dilemma?

1. Trade..........weakens our forward group

2. Draft...........we wait 4 years for him to "possibly" develop

3. UFA............well, usually too expensive, with too much cap hit.

First off, you are not getting a blue chip Dman without trading Pettersson, and even yet, if they are truly blue chip, I don't see the trading team, making that deal. The Makar, Fox's, Seider's of the league, are way too valuable. Which takes me to the next level, which are the undeveloped bluechippers...........Drysdale, Nemec, Jiricek, Clarke type, these guys are great, but will they develop into the Makars, Fox's etc?

Then there is the next step down....Schneider's, Durzi's, Faber's types...........these are players that the trading teams, want as they are young cap controlled, and have potential to be very good young Dmen.

This leads me to the older Dmen, who may be available, but at big trading cost and big cap. Do we want to spend a young asset on a Trouba, Dumba, Piece, Severson, type player, who will be near the end of their contract and wanting a big pay day? Even a player like Mayfield, who is at the end of his contract will want a bump up from his current contract, or will just go to free agency to get his pay day.

There is no easy fix................there is no RHD in the pipeline, and what ever we do to acquire one will cost...............be ready!

I will pose this to you, though.............IMO, we will wait to see how Kuzmenko will do this year, as he is unproven, and if he has done well by christmas, then you will see Alvin pull a big trade, especially if Podkolzin steps it up and Boeser plays to his past abilities.

Right now there are alot of moving parts, and with Horvat not signed, I do not see the Canucks making a move to acquire the needed part.............I would think that what ever player we move, it will not bring in a player of equivalent ability, as RHD are so rare............

I also want to say, that a Hughes, OEL LHD side are as good as any, and we do not need to tinker with that side for 3/4 years.....just leave it! Rathbone is a potential gem, and we should wait to see what we have, as "IF" he shows well, he will be a great addition or a great trading piece, but his value will be in "IF" he develops. Certainly there are potential prospects behind him on the left side that "may" be a good fit at LHD.................which just leads me to that glaring hole on the right side. I truly believe it is 3 ready RHD away from us being a long term contender. That includes prospects as well.

What well does Alvin go to? Where are our strengths, where can we move a player to get what we need and not be too affected by the move?

These are the questions we have tried to answer all summer............

We don't honestly.

OEL moves to the right side (he already said he can), Rathbone eventually develops into our 2nd pairing LHD defenseman (give him a couple years). Dermott gets a shot in the meantime. If Dermott isn't ready, we grab a cheap, older LHD that can play up the lineup on a 1-2 year deal while we wait for Rathbone. 

45 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

We don't honestly.

OEL moves to the right side (he already said he can), Rathbone eventually develops into our 2nd pairing LHD defenseman (give him a couple years). Dermott gets a shot in the meantime. If Dermott isn't ready, we grab a cheap, older LHD that can play up the lineup on a 1-2 year deal while we wait for Rathbone. 

I totally get what you are saying, and "IF" everything went perfect............sure!

But, you are reaching to think every goes that way......................but I hope you are right!

Problem with draft is well.... There really isn't a tantalizing RHD to draft this year. 

Hunter Brzustewicz doesn't have me overly excited and we likely wont be drafting in Allen territory. 

2nd off I don't think we need a guy like you named @J.I.A.H.N. The cost would be far too prohibitive as you explained.

I wonder if we could pry Peeke from CBJ at the deadline if their sellers. They have a good pipe of young D. Would also be happy with Gavrikov. There would still be a price but I don't think we would have to give up anything we couldn't live without. Hoglander and a pick? 

Hughes Schenn

OEL Myers 

Rathbone Peeke

Burr Dermott

Nothing wrong with that D corps I've seen good teams do well with less. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

I think we need another top four D.   OEL can and QHs said he'd be happy to play the right side.   There are a lot of guys in the league like Benn and Dermott they play both sides .. and historically Lefties that played the ride side.    It's probably easier and cheaper just to find one of them, trade for him, and move a guy to the right side.    Teams already hinting this could happen.    Also free agency is there for a reason, to help teams fill holes they couldn't trade or draft.   Personally i don't have any issue signing Severson to a fair deal.   That would at least create a succession plan for Myers. 

Offensively playing a D man on their offside isn’t a bad thing if that D man can shoot, crash the net is mobile etc.

the downside is blue line control.

I think the only option we have is through the draft, and hope I’m gone sticks. We might be able to get a minor one in a trade as a throw in somewhere and hope they are like Cernak in that a makeweight piece turns out to be gold.

A 3 year deal for an old hot dog?

No thanks!

PK is not for me, even at minimum bux for 1 year.

I like JM's idea re: talk to the The Russian Troika we already have about who they think we might could pull out of the KHL etc.

I also think there is too much emphasis on RIGHT side D, as has been discussed but some are still overly stressing about (imo).

Keeper interests me as he brings toughness to a team that is still pretty wimpy (imo).

Free Agency this year was also a wake-up call for older players trying to hold onto or get a piece of the pie.

The pie has been eaten and may well stay that way for more than just a year.

We might be able to pick up an older guy for one year deal in the Tightest Cap Era Evah.

Simon Lundmark 6'1" 200 pounder 21 year old RD Winterpeg took in the 2nd round in 2019 is a Swede PA should know all about.

They are so weak on RW, they signed Gagner a 33 year old who we know is not very good at all.

Garland for Lundmark; Winnipeg has the cap room to absorb Garland (current cap space $5.5m).

You guys know way more than I do so I will leave it to you to fill in the pieces to make it work.

19 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I totally get what you are saying, and "IF" everything went perfect............sure!

But, you are reaching to think every goes that way......................but I hope you are right!

You're not wrong. Here are the variables:
- Will Rathbone be able to jump into the top 4? Who knows - could do, but also could end up being a bottom pairing defenseman
- IF he does, will OEL still be good enough in a couple years to still be in the top 4? Hopefully, but not guaranteed

If those two things happen I think we're in good shape, but no doubt, the next couple drafts have to hit a couple quality defenseman prospects.

• Cheers 1