The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Jordan Kyrou

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

At least until the NHL tries to save GM's from themselves again 

Wouldn't be surprised to see another lockout down the road with more division between players 

But moreso between the young top talent and veteran stars who get most of the cap and everyone else in the middle or at the bottom who gets squeezed 

We're seeing good players having to take less or play in other leagues, would be smart of the NHL to try and take advantage of the NHLPA

It wouldn’t be a part of the Bettman legacy if there wasn’t one more lockout before he retires. You know the Count will have a 4th lockout in his tenure. FOUR LOCKOUTS AH AH AH!

24BBD81D-7E4C-4E8B-B53A-5FE9195B87A9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

It wouldn’t be a part of the Bettman legacy if there wasn’t one more lockout before he retires. You know the Count will have a 4th lockout in his tenure. FOUR LOCKOUTS AH AH AH!

24BBD81D-7E4C-4E8B-B53A-5FE9195B87A9.jpeg

I mean, it's gotten to the point where I expect a lockout to happen any time we get close to the CBA expiring 

• Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, rekker said:

Appears that way. Not crazy about that, but business is business. 

Yeah the whole system is flawed and boring.

Cap

Escrow

Cap Floor

NTC's

Crazy term on young players

on and on...

Also, with the game getting much younger, careers are shortening drastically phasing out many late twenty and early thirty players. Gotta wonder if that will affect the talent pool as fewer parents will be willing to put all that time and money into their kid's minor hockey etc. considering all this.

• Cheers 1

Teams are locking their top players into long term deals now in this cap-strapped era before they go shooting up in a couple years.

This year: no cap room.  Next year: no cap room + $1m.  Year after: big increase.  Year after: another big increase.

Petey's looking good for an increase and he's still making over $7m right now.

Players may be advised to go back to bridge deals right now as teams are locking them into long-term low-dollar deals.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

At least until the NHL tries to save GM's from themselves again 

Wouldn't be surprised to see another lockout down the road with more division between players 

But moreso between the young top talent and veteran stars who get most of the cap and everyone else in the middle or at the bottom who gets squeezed 

We're seeing good players having to take less or play in other leagues, would be smart of the NHL to try and take advantage of the NHLPA

I agree. It's squeezing out guys to minimum wage. Also, a team that drafts well is not enjoying the fruits of the middle contract. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

Bridge Contracts dead in the NHL? 

It makes sense. You're playing top dollar for a players best years (24-32) or (23-31). Problem is the contracts handed out to vets who get paid too much when they can no longer produce as well.

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

For better or worse, the NHL has been moving towards a have/have not league for some time. 

In Colorado for example, the top 5 paid guys make close to 50% of their salary cap - every other player on the roster share the remaining 50%. 

This will likely be even more pronounced next year when Nate Mac probably double his current salary or thereabouts. 

This is a cautionary tale for us as a franchise - if you don't draft/develop players within the organization who can come in and contribute meaningful minutes on ELC, you'll likely never be competitive in this league over a long period. 

I feel like the pendulum has swung too far though and that market inefficiencies will present themselves in those mid tier guys. 

Not every ELC guy will get an 8 year deal coming out of it, and there should be some excellent mid tier guys to go after. 

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Not every ELC guy will get an 8 year deal coming out of it, and there should be some excellent mid tier guys to go after.

You're probably right, the issue is that teams like us will have about 50% of total cap allocated to the top 6 paid guys (EP/Brock/Huggy/OEL/Bo/Miller - when these last two guys' new deals kick in) and the question will be, is there any room left to sign any 'mid-tier' guys without having the bottom 3 forwards and the bottom two d-men being borderline AHL level because you can't afford to pay anyone to establish that all-important 'depth' that teams rely on to grind out a 80+ game schedule and a gruelling PO? 

Moving forward in this league, imo, you must absolutely have guys on ELC playing meaningful minutes on your roster to be competitive the way the cap-structure is going for most successful teams.  If you don't, you end up like....well, like us for the past several seasons. 

27 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree. It's squeezing out guys to minimum wage. Also, a team that drafts well is not enjoying the fruits of the middle contract. 

That's a big factor. Used to be that having cost controlled RFA's or players on ELC's contributed to a team's window or was just straight up an advantage when it came to managing cap. Drafting effectively was a cost-saving measure as well as being the best way to acquire top talent. Now teams aren't getting that advantage anymore as the second contracts have quickly become larger and more lengthy. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Seems that way. The squeeze sucks for the Mottes of the league who don’t have contracts yet. 

Motte and his agent misread the situation and asked for too much.

Even though I loved Motter, I would be surprised if he is signed now for much more than league minimum.

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Even though I loved Motter, I would be surprised if he is signed now for much more than league minimum.

I’m just using his type of player as an example, I should clarify not him specifically but players of his ilk.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

You're probably right, the issue is that teams like us will have about 50% of total cap allocated to the top 6 paid guys (EP/Brock/Huggy/OEL/Bo/Miller - when these last two guys' new deals kick in) and the question will be, is there any room left to sign any 'mid-tier' guys without having the bottom 3 forwards and the bottom two d-men being borderline AHL level because you can't afford to pay anyone to establish that all-important 'depth' that teams rely on to grind out a 80+ game schedule and a gruelling PO? 

Moving forward in this league, imo, you must absolutely have guys on ELC playing meaningful minutes on your roster to be competitive the way the cap-structure is going for most successful teams.  If you don't, you end up like....well, like us for the past several seasons. 

Or the the teams that win will have a bunch of guys like Motte playing for league minimum

we might see a free agent frenzy in July

and another one in September when all the mid-tier guys are scrambling to find deals

there will be some guys , like Motte, who over-value themselves heading into FA but find themselves going cheap in September

It might be the GMs with lots of cap late in the off season who build the best teams

Over/under on 8 million dollar contracts/extensions or higher signed next summer?  

MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Kane, Zegras, Drysdale, Larkin, Petey, Dahlin, Debrincat, Roope Hinz, Boldy, PL Dubois, Barzal, Byram, Matthews, Aho... 

I see an easy 10, plus whoever breaks out this year. 

Imo massive risk by St. Louis signing both Thomas and kyrou after career years where each of them shot over 14% 5v5 and had over 12.5% on-ice shooting percentage 5v5. Both players are due for regression based on statistical averages. 

8x8 for each of them is steep as they could be 65 point players masquerading as point per game players

• Cheers 1

Both players (Kyrou and Thomas) are coming off their bridge deals at 2.8 AAV. They are 2 years away from UFA. 

If St Louis bridged again they give even more leverage to the players on their next deal similar to Andrew Copp in Winnipeg, mark stone in Ottawa, Trouba in Winnipeg, Mikheyev in Toronto, nurse in Edmonton, or Boeser in Vancouver. 

Signing a 2nd bridge deals puts the team in a position where they may have to trade a player, lose them for nothing, or overpay by even more in order to retain them. 

That being said, this a huge risk but the blues kicking these players in for that long. They should have waited till next summer imo

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think Motte's injury history is a factor as well. Hell of a hockey player. Hope he gets on somewhere soon for some decent cash and security. 

• Cheers 1