The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Bruins trade Jack Studnicka to Canucks for Michael DiPietro, Jonathan Myrenberg

4 minutes ago, AV. said:

Odd trade.

He'll probably be put on waivers within the next six months. 

Other than that, good to get DiPietro a home after we all but ruined his career here.

As well, let's hope Myrenberg isn't Forsling all over again - would be the funniest thing if the team, that can't/refuses to draft good defencemen as it is, manages to give up yet another solid defenceman.

It won't. Forsling was on the cusp of the NHL when JB stupidly traded him. Myenberg ain't even close to the nhl or in the same class as Forsling. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The point of this trade was to move DiPietro out of the organization. Period.

He and his agent have asked for a trade and publicly said they were not happy.

Right now the Canucks are a tire fire.  This is simply getting rid of a minor problem and distraction.

Nothing more.  The return is irrelevant. Could have been a roll of tape.

Move on.

Absurd. We traded away a decent right hand D prospect. We had better be getting a good return. But I am not optimistic. Looks like a Benning deal.

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It won't. Forsling was on the cusp of the NHL when JB stupidly traded him. Myenberg ain't even close to the nhl or in the same class as Forsling. 

I don't think anyone was saying that about Forsling when he was traded out 

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

I'm inclined to agree.  Forsling was having a huge D+1 when we traded him.

I suppose I just look at it as:  We don't draft D as it is, much less RHD.  Probably should at least see what we have before shipping them off?

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

I'm inclined to agree.  Forsling was having a huge D+1 when we traded him.

I suppose I just look at it as:  We don't draft D as it is, much less RHD.  Probably should at least see what we have before shipping them off?

Yeah but at D+2 season, it ain't a good sign if he is not playing in the SHL already. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I get it. He’s a prospect. 

He’s not the next Edler, Karlsson or Lidstrom 

Do you really believe the team traded away a game-breaking top tier talent? 

If he was as good as Bains, then give your head a shake. Neither are going to make this squad or the League. 

I feel like I’m talking to the individual bricks in the wall. 

We totally overvalue our team’s prospects way too much. 

Lidstrom was the 11th pick in the 3rd round. Let’s wait and see how Myrenberg turns out.

• Cheers 4

36 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t care about getting your ‘ire’. 

If you’ve been following the team like you say you have and follow Myrenburg, then you ought to know that while he’s a solid young dman, he’s not the solution to this team’s woes now or at least in the next 3-5 years. 

Stop your whining about the trade. 

The team needed to fix an obvious hole and they did it. It cost something. Things cost things. 

The team's obvious hole was defense. Did they fix it? You're just making excuses to justify this trade lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why did they “need” to fill Lazar’s spot?  We have players in the system and on the roster to cover injuries.

Your premise is just flawed so don’t get all preachy

Aman has been one of the brighter lights on the roster and Dries has more NHL experience and success than Strudnicka has.  Strudnicka has only played a few games in the league and is so far a career AHLer, not a “decent” 4th line centre .

We aren’t in a competitive spot to be giving away prospects for players who you can find on the waiver wire.

This might be the first time in a LONG time that I agree with your post in its entirety.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah but at D+2 season, it ain't a good sign if he is not playing in the SHL already. 

Not even remotely… he is just 19.  That is a mens league, not many teenagers in it.  

The season just started, a young guy getting big reps in a lower league rather than low minutes in a higher league is pretty normal for development.  He probably shuffles between the two leagues this season.

He was dominant in the J20 (Their major junior equivalent) last year against guys older than him.  If the draft happens again, he is easily a 3rd round pick with his trajectory.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Few things I want to say:

Those people hoping for a rebuild are going to be disappointed. It’s clear by Allvin’s comments on Myrenberg being 5 years away that this team is going all in on winning now. Get used to the retool.

I’m conflicted on this deal. Part of me says why in the fuck are Canucks trading away any RHD prospects given that is the single greatest need they’ve had in over a decade. Myrenberg may not end up as anything special, he may never play the NHL, but to give away any guy with a shot of being a RHD we’ve desperately needed for a guy that we can trade a plethora of wingers/forward prospects for instead is head scratching to say the least. It’s been impossible for us to find one at a reasonable cost in a trade, so giving up a potential home grown one, which is basically our only option is worrisome.

On the other hand if you look at it from the perspective Myrenberg will amount to nothing (a high likelihood) then you can basically say we traded a 5th round pick for a PK’ing 3/4C with some upside potential. That would be a trade everyone here would be screaming about how “we took them to the cleaners”. Especially so because we’ve needed a new PK defensive centre forward to take on the oppositions best players ever since Beagle left. Studnicka is still young enough to have some potential to be a valuable NHL player, he fits an organizational need and we basically gave up a 5th rounder to get him, or what I’d like to call a steal.

Like I said, I’m conflicted.

Regardless I hope, just like with every player that becomes a Canuck that Studnicka surprises and becomes an integral, indispensable part of our team. I also wish DiPietro well on his new team, it was a good thing for management to find him a new home.

If this turns out to be the case we won't be the only ones disappointed, he'll likely set himself up for disappointment too. This team isn't good enough, I'll be surprised if they figure out how to fix that sooner than later. They can try and retool all they like but it'll probably fail like the other retool attempts have. 

• Sad 1