The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Exactly this! It’s beyond ridiculous!! Even a certain someone called this and the trade before this bad asset management…like what?! Some just have to be negative! 

Because it is.  In due time, you will see that I will be proven correct again.

[Whatever you'd like goes here]

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Really great segment on Bear, his life, family, obstacles and challenges he faced. Quality guy. I can see him becoming a fan favorite.

You can be sure this is why the canucks are his preference ,he’s played long enough all over North America ,old enough to have had other indigenous players to aspire to. Awesome vid thank you, I have no doubt. Vancouver will embrace him and he knows it.  This also answers my question as to Carolinas decision about his future. By abliging his choice of destinations ,They too want what’s best for him as well.  

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Yeah first time in over 10 years I've seen a CDC thread go off topic! ::D

The age old argument of 2011 vs 1994. If they played each other with both being healthy who would win. flip a coin, they're both excellent but very different.

True but look at stats,both Linden and Bure had more points,4 shutouts tied the nhl record.Final score in a game 7 the 94 team was closer by a post.That going in could have won it for us.

Both teams were great but watching them both many times I see the 94 being better.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AV. said:

Because it is.  In due time, you will see that I will be proven correct again.

[Whatever you'd like goes here]

@lmm not that I want to get between you 2  but I’m going to enjoy this…. I just took a screen shot of your comment I’ll feed it back to you in a couple of games. 5 or so.  It’s a good move for the team , bear. But mostly the fans.  Win win win with the exception of some fans remaining all alone on their little islands. 

Edited by chon derry

20 minutes ago, chon derry said:

@lmm not that I want to get between you 2  but I’m going to enjoy this…. I just took a screen shot of your comment I’ll feed it back to you in a couple of games. 5 or so.  It’s a good move for the team , bear. But mostly the fans.  Win win win with the exception of some fans remaining all alone on their little islands. 

Unless you will be sending me a screenshot of W7 besides the Vancouver Canucks name on the NHL standings (as in, Ethan Bear comes in and wins five consecutive games in this sample size of five games or so that you've decided on) , I'm not interested in anything else you could possibly provide.  It's just not relevant. 

And don't get me wrong - I like the individual, I wish him well on this team - but I'm not going to pretend that he's anything more than what he currently is at 27 years old.  A goal, an assist, a nice highlight - all nice stuff, but it's wins on the board that matter.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Really great segment on Bear, his life, family, obstacles and challenges he faced. Quality guy. I can see him becoming a fan favorite.

Thanks for posting, this just reinforces my thoughts I posted earlier, he IS a quality human, and I'm happy for him and glad he is on my team, IMO he will surprise. He just seems so genuine, like a guy I could have a beer with in the backyard bbq.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AV. said:

Unless you will be sending me a screenshot of W7 besides the Vancouver Canucks name on the NHL standings (as in, Ethan Bear comes in and wins five consecutive games in this sample size of five games or so that you've decided on) , I'm not interested in anything else you could possibly provide.  It's just not relevant. 

And don't get me wrong - I like the individual, I wish him well on this team - but I'm not going to pretend that he's anything more than what he currently is at 27 years old.  A goal, an assist, a nice highlight - all nice stuff, but it's wins on the board that matter.

If the only thing you as a canucks fan or rooting for any other team for that matter ,are waiting for is consecutive wins  that would explain your negativity , you’ve already let yourself down .  Maybe go watch the oilers or the islanders on YouTube ? You’ve set the bar to high for your self.   I appreciate your knowledge ,but the content kind of gets lost in the pompus arrogance . Hope that works for you :)

Edited by chon derry
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

If in a month our d pairings look like:

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Bear

That looks decidedly “alright.”  

Zone exits look a lot better with Bear and one of Dermott/Rathbone in the lineup 

If they can get a partner for Hughes out of 2023 UFA (Severson) they’ll have rebuilt our defence for a total cost of: 

a third and a fifth round pick 

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Bear

Dermott-Myers 

Is actually a “good” nhl D. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, AV. said:

…He’s 25, not that it changes the “he is what he us” thing you’re goin for. But I think you’re underestimating his potential to fit in with all the young guys here on this club and getting his career back on track. No one knows for sure, but looking forward to him lacing them up for our team.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Bear is a much better D man then Chatfield.. 

Bear is offensive and doesn't fit the system coach Rod plays.....

Bear 25, 6'0 RD  will be a # 4 Dman in Vancouver..

Carolina retaining 400,000 is big in cap world..This would not happen if Canucks claimed bear off waivers..

5th round draft pick I am okay with .. 

Let's take things one step at a time. If he was a top 4 dman he would have gone more than a 5th and another team would have offered more for him 

the last thing we need is over hyping Canucks players again :lol:

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Zone exits look a lot better with Bear and one of Dermott/Rathbone in the lineup 

If they can get a partner for Hughes out of 2023 UFA (Severson) they’ll have rebuilt our defence for a total cost of: 

a third and a fifth round pick 

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Bear

Dermott-Myers 

Is actually a “good” nhl D. 

Imo, the dcorps isn't the main issue with zone exits.  The biggest issue is the fwds, especially the wingers.......the dcorp, though far from perfect, are doing a decent job of getting the puck the fwds