The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

And take the full cap hit. Makes sense….

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

Carolina is retaining salary

1 minute ago, VforVasili said:

They retained salary. That wouldn’t happen if he was on waivers, but I guess you know more than our management team. 

A bit better on the surface.  But still, not a player I would have paid for, retention or now.  That's just me.

• Cheers 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

I'd all for an Ethan Bear acquisition - he's not really "the answer," but the cost of RHD is clearly insane right now, and he's a project that would bring competition to the top-6. Short of landing a true top-4 rhd with the tools to compliment Quinn, which is seeming more and more impossible, Bear would at least be an improvement and maybe with that much competition on the back end, they'd get it done by committee. Either Bear or de Haan would be decent acquisitions at this point who are more "band-aids" or "projects" than filling the top-4 gap - but if the team is pushing for the playoffs, which they are, anything to improve the d corps is still a step up.

OEL - Hughes

Dermott - Bear

Rathbone - Myers

Schenn, Burroughs/Poolman

Boudreau would have to rely hard on the top pairing but both other pairings would have decent transition games and Dermott, Bear and Rathbone all come with untapped potential, maybe they'd rise to the occasion. Boner and Myers showed some limited chemistry in a previous stint. Dermott showed impressive underlying stats so far in Boudreau's system...who knows if that'll last. A 2nd PP unit of OEL - Bear would also be a big improvement over having Myers there. If he had to break up OEL and Hughes, there's a chance Bear and Hughes would compliment each other as a two-way pairing.

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Dermott

Bear is also a decent PKer - he was on the 2nd pairing of Edmonton's PK the season before last when they finished 9th oa, whereas last year they finished 17th after losing Bear and Khaira.

Bear does have the tools to be a dynamic top-4 defender IMO, whether the right environment, chemistry and TOI come together will be another thing IMO. He definitely had a diminished role being behind Pesce and DeAngelo but managed still managed to play beyond his value, and the beyond the AAV he's signed for next year.

The fact that he's a trailblazer for the Cree community in some ways (a mentor for Keeper?), community-oriented, came up through hard work ethic fighting thru racism, and that he's willing to now fight rats like Tkachuk in the big leagues are all added bonuses to his play.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-12.27.31-PM.pngimage.png.a0f8ad691531c60c47e65ce24f9f9898.png

think anyone paying attention would definitely agree with you, a Parayko type going into next season would be preferable to Bear for sure - but I do think if Allvin's hands are tied in terms of true top-4 options, that trying to bring in Bear or de Haan at relatively cheap cost would still help the defense improve a bit. Bear isn't terribly physical but he is dependable defensively, and although he didn't PK much last year, he was a fixture for the 9th place Edmonton PK the year before last (Which dropped to 17th without him and Khaira). For a team whose goal is to make the playoffs "or disaster" Bear could be a cost effective improvement over Myers, likely Dermott on the right-side if he regresses back to the mean of his career, Poolman, deKeyser, Schenn in most ways and Burroughs, jury will be out on Rathbone's next jump up too; and Allvin can continue to try to find a way to fill the team's actual need. His GVSA value was higher than all those guys last year even in a diminished role, and he has tools to be better if he responds to Boudreau's system and increased TOI well. Depending on the cost, I'd be for a Bear acquisition over standing pat.

image.png.0433efde571c46f1a9da059704700ca0.png

EDIT: No, I am not advocating for a Hoggie trade at all, especially after his and Bruce's remarks about his return. If there's another way to make it work though, I think it's worth considering.

^ posts from  a month ago on Ethan Bear - my opinion remains this

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev
  • Cheers 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

No s***, well all be damned

JR/PA handing out picks like there's no tomorrow, but I'm actually okay trading a 5th or later though

Welcome Bear, meet Huggy, you two should be friends. I'm pulling for Bear to find his footing in VAN and be a reliable RD for the Canucks

See now this is a great post. Basically saying I don’t agree with trading picks or this direction but I’m hopeful for Bear and welcome to the team. Well done.

• Cheers 4

If it's just a 5th and there's retention from CAR this is a good deal for us.

He's a proven NHL calibre defenceman and we're desperate.

I still think we should put in a claim for Harpur if he hasn't been claimed yet. 

• Like 1