The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins Sign former Renounced Coyotes Draft Pick Mitchell Miller to ELC [UPDATE] BRUINS RESCIND CONTRACT

AngryElf

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Most of those questions seem to have been answered.  He has not taken any further steps to improve his image, other than... play good hockey.  The whole apology to the family was court-mandated, and Miller hasn't done anything since.

Clearly the 10-1 start was not good enough for Sweeney.

Didn’t the judge say something about the apology wasn’t really an apology, or something like that?  There’s something seriously “off” with Mitchell person.  

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Most of those questions seem to have been answered.  He has not taken any further steps to improve his image, other than... play good hockey.  The whole apology to the family was court-mandated, and Miller hasn't done anything since.

Clearly the 10-1 start was not good enough for Sweeney.

That’s my takeaway as well.

Also drafted in 2020, then renounced. Went and played in the USHL, wins awards, signed by Boston in 2022. So not sure that he’s lost anything at all other than his reputation.

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That’s my takeaway as well.

Also drafted in 2020, then renounced. Went and played in the USHL, wins awards, signed by Boston in 2022. So not sure that he’s lost anything at all other than his reputation.

Yes, it turns out his hockey career is essentially intact.  He got to play junior hockey after the incident, he got accolades for it... and now he has an NHL contract at age 20.  What you do off the ice is completely irrelevant in sports, as this year has steadily shown us.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s the refusal to apologize and complete lack of accountability for me.

The actual bullying incidents, while horrific, are still forgivable IMO, if he were really willing to truly take responsibility, hold himself accountable for his actions, make a sincere and significant effort to apologize to the victim and help them heal and find closure, and commit himself to learning and improving from this.

Mitchell was just a kid at the time. Doesn’t excuse the behaviour, but definitely reason to think he could change.

(Well, maybe not him, but most kids have the capacity to learn and grow.)

However, his actions (or inaction) since the incident suggests he’s not interested in changing or improving himself, and hasn’t really learned anything.

Given this mom harassed and threatened the victim's mother and the dad threatened the school

don't see much in the way of guidance

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Pretty disappointed a few posters here giving the kid a pass because.he was 14 ...... that's suggesting that it's just part of growing up that some kids must.be victims and some get.to.be.bullies. 

Yes it happens...no it shouldn't and no it can't be a boys will be boys type of thing. The kid he bullied was not even able to defend himself and he knew it .... he targeted a disabled kid. Only the most cowardly scum do that

No team should touch this kid till.his victim says its been made right.  I don't care if the slightest if the player is sorry he was outed and now understands it was wrong. 

I do care that instead of a PR stunt to make it appear he is sorry  .. that he actually went back to the victim and made it right and made.him a friend ....... 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Pretty disappointed a few posters here giving the kid a pass because.he was 14 ...... that's suggesting that it's just part of growing up that some kids must.be victims and some get.to.be.bullies. 

Yes it happens...no it shouldn't and no it can't be a boys will be boys type of thing. The kid he bullied was not even able to defend himself and he knew it .... he targeted a disabled kid. Only the most cowardly scum do that

No team should touch this kid till.his victim says its been made right.  I don't care if the slightest if the player is sorry he was outed and now understands it was wrong. 

I do care that instead of a PR stunt to make it appear he is sorry  .. that he actually went back to the victim and made it right and made.him a friend ....... 

Neither Mitchell nor the Bruins organization reached out to the Meyer-Crothers family.  They are all scum.  The victim's mother's sarcastic reaction to this: "talent trumps everything, I guess..."

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, the ones voicing their displeasure are in the dozens or perhaps a hundred or so; they get like 20,000 freak'n jerks out to every game.

Cheering Mason's broken back, beating up fans of other teams, cheering for that other pos Marchand..  now I gotta go wash my typing fingers.

I mean, no one knew his back was broken at the time so saying they cheered his broken back is extremely misleading. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I mean, no one knew his back was broken at the time so saying they cheered his broken back is extremely misleading. 

I guess you forgot about that building chanting “flopper” while he on the ice motionless. 

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

I guess you forgot about that building chanting “flopper” while he on the ice motionless. 

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

2 hours ago, Pears said:

You might be right if not for the fact he was still tormenting the kid as late as two years before his draft year. So no, I highly doubt he’s changed. 

There is such massive change in social development between the age he was then and the age he is now. He may be truly horrified at the actions of his younger self (as most of us are!).

None of us know. We can only speculate. Most people mature over time. There is certainly societal value in accepting a genuine apology. It will be interesting to follow his story now that hes back in the spotlight.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Please try and tell me with a straight face from 0:42-0:51 thousands of people “didn’t know” he was hurt…

Didn’t know his back was broken =/= didn’t know he was hurt. Try using what was actually said. Thanks. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Please try and tell me with a straight face from 0:42-0:51 thousands of people “didn’t know” he was hurt…

If we're going there Rogers Arena cheered when Moore was sucker punched. Every fanbase does stupid s*** when it comes to rivals. 

5 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

There is such massive change in social development between the age he was then and the age he is now. He may be truly horrified at the actions of his younger self (as most of us are!).

None of us know. We can only speculate. Most people mature over time. There is certainly societal value in accepting a genuine apology. It will be interesting to follow his story now that hes back in the spotlight.

His lack of remorse is the issue for me and the fact the Bruins nor him have reached out to the victim or family is beyond disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

It's possible to both be disgusted by their actions here and applaud their stance against the signing.    Just as like it's possible to hate Marchand as a player but appreciate his generosity towards the arena workers laid off during COVID.  For once, we're on the same side.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

His lack of remorse is the issue for me and the fact the Bruins nor him have reached out to the victim or family is beyond disappointing. 

A truly remorseful person would be trying to volunteer and prevent this from happening to others.  I haven't seen any evidence of any attempt other than mandated community service.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

He was 14. The morally outraged say that doesn't mean anything. It does. Passing judgement on someone is a easy sign of virtue. I hope the kid has seen the full ramifications of what he did. That doesn't mean he can't make a living. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Didn’t know his back was broken =/= didn’t know he was hurt. Try using what was actually said. Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, Pears said:

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

I said didn’t know his back was broken and stand by that. 

26 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If we're going there Rogers Arena cheered when Moore was sucker punched. Every fanbase does stupid s*** when it comes to rivals. 

• Cheers 1