The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Vancouver and Columbus in trade talks

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I was there and I can confirm on the rioting part.  Kids/teens/young 20 somethings that were rioting had nothing to do with the Canucks.  They were going to riot win or lose.  

The riot was misreported and then the bad report has just been getting perpetuated online.  

Agreed on 2020 and being 2-3 years away.  At this point, we may need a complete new culture and to ship out some of the guys that have gotten used to losing and just punching in every day for the paycheque.  

I'd love to start a shift by making a deal with Columbus.  We need a shakeup more then we need stability.  

I was there in 1994 and it was mostly alcohol and anger towards the result of the series.  And the party was just a bit out of control. 

was not 2012.  

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I am convinced that people that claim that defense is our main issue aren't actually watching the games, but are rather just repeating what some experts have said in the summer.  

The amount of times that our forwards cough up the puck and then non-chalantly go off on a change while the opposition is rushing full speed at our d-men is infuriating.  Our neutral-zone play is appalling in terms of our forwards preventing speed coming down the throats of our defense.  

Of course I'd like to upgrade our defense when possible, but there's a reason that Nate Schmidt looked so bad after coming to our team and has looked good before (in Vegas) and after (in Winnipeg). 

I think when a lot of people say defense, they are referring to team defense. Forwards have to check and play defense too, so technically our defensive game is letting us down. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I am convinced that people that claim that defense is our main issue aren't actually watching the games, but are rather just repeating what some experts have said in the summer.  

The amount of times that our forwards cough up the puck and then non-chalantly go off on a change while the opposition is rushing full speed at our d-men is infuriating.  Our neutral-zone play is appalling in terms of our forwards preventing speed coming down the throats of our defense.  

Of course I'd like to upgrade our defense when possible, but there's a reason that Nate Schmidt looked so bad after coming to our team and has looked good before (in Vegas) and after (in Winnipeg). 

Also, when we are top 10 in the league at blueline spending, I personally expect a little more out of this group. We have almost 33% of our cap tied up on the blueline....their play does not reflect that.

image.thumb.png.7a937de641cdfb61e2c6dbe6cdaeeebe.png

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Also, when we are top 10 in the league at blueline spending, I personally expect a little more out of this group. We have almost 33% of our cap tied up on the blueline....their play does not reflect that.

image.thumb.png.7a937de641cdfb61e2c6dbe6cdaeeebe.png

well it's because we have players like Myers, OEL, players that aren't living up to their pay grade. 

if another team would take Myers, that would be a huge help cap wise, but it would mean taking on a bad contract back, so that's a wash if that happens. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

well it's because we have players like Myers, OEL, players that aren't living up to their pay grade. 

if another team would take Myers, that would be a huge help cap wise, but it would mean taking on a bad contract back, so that's a wash if that happens. 

2 anchor contracts and then maybe the best contract in the NHL in Schenn. Really highlights how heavy the OEL and Myers deals are. 

We seem to be looking at this very black and white. We either need to make the playoffs or blow the team up. I think we might see what Montreal has done for a few years instead.

Move pieces out, bring pieces in. No real super step backwards instead swap out parts and aim for steady improvement. That was their plan when they signed up. Making hockey trades that improve the team (teams composition).

That imo doesn't mean we will win every trade but each trade must contribute to the end product. Some parts may not pan out like let's say a Studnica or Linden Vey type but some will the Bear types.

I think we can expect much of the same until they get parts back for our guys like Horvat, Miller, Myers that add to the puzzle they are building. I'm ok with sucking this year and getting a top 4 pick. 

Their defence is in tatters with injuries but I would have loved to see a forward for defenceman swap with CBJ. Peeke is the obvious target, he's having an off-year so I think Garland alone could net him in a swap.

If we're talking a bigger deal, what about this value-wise:

Bo Horvat for Kuraly + Peeke + 1st (top-5 protected otherwise rolls to next year)

Peeke isn't having a great year, Kuraly is having a surprisingly good year (otherwise make the center coming back Gaunce...). Even a 1st + Peeke isn't bad but you'd like a bottom-6 center coming back if we're losing Bo. They'd have to do some real juggling with their LTIR to make Bo fit with the cap though.

I firmly believe that CBJ is one of the only targets we could offload Miller to.  It's the unique situation where the contract is likely a major selling point for them so they have security.  Not everyone is rushing to sign in Columbus similar to Hockey Guad.  It's almost too perfect for both sides if we get Voracek and Ceulemans in return.  They get Miller who can play some C to give them the depth they need to compliment their star wingers.  We get Voracek to match the cap but on a shorter term and allows us to do the flip we should have with Miller for a few decent assets next year.  We get our key prize in Ceulemans who can be one of the top 4 RDs of the future for us.  CBJ has a lot of depth in this area 

This feels like one of the rare deals that works perfectly for both teams.  I'm happy to start making the calls if the GMs don't want to.

• Upvote 2

Other teams that did a rebuild while we toiled in a refool are passing us and their owners will see playoff revenue sooner than the ultimate Fool Francesco. Stay the coarse Franny you losing money is the only thing I cheer for these days.
fire Bruce he deserves 6 months paid holiday Travis got a full year 

lololololol.  
gillis got like 4 years paid vacation Jb getting some of that to. 

17 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I firmly believe that CBJ is one of the only targets we could offload Miller to.  It's the unique situation where the contract is likely a major selling point for them so they have security.  Not everyone is rushing to sign in Columbus similar to Hockey Guad.  It's almost too perfect for both sides if we get Voracek and Ceulemans in return.  They get Miller who can play some C to give them the depth they need to compliment their star wingers.  We get Voracek to match the cap but on a shorter term and allows us to do the flip we should have with Miller for a few decent assets next year.  We get our key prize in Ceulemans who can be one of the top 4 RDs of the future for us.  CBJ has a lot of depth in this area 

This feels like one of the rare deals that works perfectly for both teams.  I'm happy to start making the calls if the GMs don't want to.

Here's your hat, lol.

Screenshot_20221123-074110_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, ilduce39 said:

Will be very interesting (and nerve wracking) to see how management handles Petey’s situation.  

I agree if they go full rebuild he’s not sticking around.  

I'm not convinced that management wants to do a full rebuild. I think they're going to trade some major pieces (Bo, Brock, Myers, etc) and then replace those players with other players traded for, or UFA signings to continue to build and be a playoff contender. 

I think management is in a bit of a conundrum in the sense that the team isn't bad, but the mix isn't right. They have some pretty good pieces like Petey and Hughes, and Demko (assuming he gets his game back together again). Gotta start to build on and around those three. Lots of dead weight needs to be moved out, and new pieces need to be brought in. I'm sad that Bo won't be part of the team moving forward, and I've come to accept it (I have his jersey), but if that's the case, then we need to get major pieces coming back for Horvat (didn't he say he wanted to win a championship here?). 

IF ownership green lights the rebuild, I can't see any of the current core here for that. Bo definitely's gone. Petey for sure, and Hughes would probably be next. Would suck to lose all three, so I don't think ownership will go that route, and management probably doesn't have the appetite for it either. Patrik Allvin is still an unproven GM in the league. He still has to show what he's got, so going through a rebuild is going to be tough. I'm still not convinced up to this point that Rutherford's a good POHO, and Allvin a good GM. 

Jury's still out on both, IMO. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Makes too much sense, which is why it won't happen. LOL 

I still think Miller is here to stay for most of that contract, and likely to see his production decline as well. 

Bo, I think will go to another team, and start winning and producing. 

Personally, letting go Horvat is going to haunt this team moving forward. 

One of many, repeated stupid decisions this organization has made in recent years. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:31 AM, combover said:

lololololol.  

Travis is actually still on the payroll for the rest of this season as is JB.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:31 AM, combover said:

Other teams that did a rebuild while we toiled in a refool are passing us and their owners will see playoff revenue sooner than the ultimate Fool Francesco. Stay the coarse Franny you losing money is the only thing I cheer for these days.

lololololol.  

Francesco bought the team and the rink for $250 million. It is now worth over $1 billion. So the only fools are the people paying the money to watch the product on the ice for the last 7 years. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Francesco bought the team and the rink for $250 million. It is now worth over $1 billion. So the only fools are the people paying the money to watch the product on the ice for the last 7 years. 

Please do not disparage the people who keep the team operating in Vancouver.

Also, I have found fans who pay to go to the games to be generally of a higher intelligence than gen pop.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Please do not disparage the people who keep the team operating in Vancouver.

Also, I have found fans who pay to go to the games to be generally of a higher intelligence than gen pop.

I'm just curious because you are basically stating that canucks fans that chose to spend their disposable income on canucks are more intelligent.

there are at least 9 types of intelligence. are rogers arena attendee's more intelligent across the board of these measure's?

also i assume you abstain from alcohol at these games, otherwise your observations are most likely flawed.