The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, hockeyville88 said:

A lot of this WC for Canada is about building towards 2026 at home. As disappointing as a loss is, especially given how well we played, it's a "short term pain, long term gain" kinda thing.

Important lessons learned, and showing how hard they still gotta work.

But hold your heads up boys. Damn good effort. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Belgium was a lot better as a unit in that second half.  Despite the possession in Canada's favour, you never really got the feeling that Canada was going to score, unfortunately.  Courtois was dialed in and Onana coming on really helped to add another layer to the defence.

But what a performance from Canada that was.  They can definitely get something against Croatia if they play like that on Sunday.

• Cheers 1

Just now, hockeyville88 said:

A lot of this WC for Canada is about building towards 2026 at home. As disappointing as a loss is, especially given how well we played, it's a "short term pain, long term gain" kinda thing.

Exactly. We have to be realistic with our expectations. This tournament is massive in terms of value and experience to this team regardless of the result. Building towards 2026 is the goal.

This is a tough result and I can't help but feel a bit sad for the players as I know they are gutted. They played well enough for at least a draw but that's football sometimes. What this game showed to me is that Canada absolutely belongs on this stage and a valiant effort against a top team.

I hope they can get a result against Croatia or Morrocco.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Exactly. We have to be realistic with our expectations. This tournament is massive in terms of value and experience to this team regardless of the result. Building towards 2026 is the goal.

This is a tough result and I can't help but feel a bit sad for the players as I know they are gutted. They played well enough for at least a draw but that's football sometimes. What this game showed to me is that Canada absolutely belongs on this stage and a valiant effort against a top team.

I hope they can get a result against Croatia or Morrocco.

Or both? ;) 

Jonathan David looked invisible this game. Needs to be better if we're going to have a chance against Croatia or Morocco. 

The best chance for us to get passed the qualifying round is if Belgium beats Croatia and Morocco, whereas we win one (Croatia) and draw the other. It'll be tough but after todays showing? They honestly have a shot.

Belgium: 3 - 0 - 0 (9 pts)

Canada: 1 - 1 - 1 (4 pts)

Morocco: 0 - 1 - 2 (2 pts) 

Croatia: 0 - 2 - 1 (1 pt)

Edited by AngryElf
Can't math
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, c00kies said:

More shocked by Canada losing than Germany tbh, as Germany has no cohesion and finishing. 

Canada looks like a good team, but they also failed to score on a penalty and it cost them.

Ehh, nothing truly shocking about Belgium winning games at this tournament, much less Canada losing to them (or losing in general).

It's true that Canada didn't take their chances, but this is still a game that Belgium *should* be winning, regardless.  It would be that way even if they were playing some of the better European oppositions.

The fact that Canada played Belgium as well as they did is the remarkable thing, much more so than the result.

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Ehh, nothing truly shocking about Belgium winning games at this tournament, much less Canada losing to them (or losing in general).

It's true that Canada didn't take their chances, but this is still a game that Belgium *should* be winning, regardless.  It would be that way even if they were playing some of the better European oppositions.

The fact that Canada played Belgium as well as they did is the remarkable thing, much more so than the result.

I mean, that's all true, but I thought Canada might get a high from the first game and get some goals. 

I agree that Canada put on a good show though, which shows promise for the next two games.

• Cheers 1