The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’re skills coaches.

They’re literally no different than Malhotra or Higgins were here.

I know everyone’s looking at people to blame but you’re way off on this.

DeNiro..............Hopefully I have always responded to you with respect..........I like your opinions..........don't always agree, but you make me think.

I guess what I am saying is we need a complete reset here............

We need an aggressive, no nonsense team who demands that all players play 200 ft. 

People must wonder how Boston keeps winning year in year out............and yes they have stars, but so do we!

It is their 200 ft game played by their whole team, and players like Debrusk are the odd man out, and because there are only a few that don't play that way, they thrive

Here, we are short on depth, and short on drive. The days of fighting every game are gone, but they have not taken hitting and push back out

You can add Character to things we are missing..........this shows in commitment and  trying to improve

Having been trained by Hockey BC years ago, to intermediate Level, my teacher who was the BC U17 head coach (can't remember his name)

But he made a point in one of his lectures to point out that you can teach defense to a offensive player, but really not the other way around.

Character and Commitment, with skill and IQ, is more important than speed or size, but when you have none of the above...........boy are you in trouble!

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, I’ve not seen anything bad about our fourth line with Åman.

Risky business to change from Motte et al and that worked out fine.

Miller is the real problem at start since BB used him a lot when he was really bad.

Is that the managements problem or a coach problem?

Miller was the weak spot in PK par example.

Bear, Kuzmetsov and Mikhevev are good.

Dermott, Studnicka

They got rid of Dickinson.

Miller and Boeser signed.

Horvat is the problem here but since he had so good finish last season he was probably asking for too much at the time.

JR has talked about BBs system and that it doesn’t work with the players at hand.

What more can management do? 
The coaches coach the team and here it is a problem with too much changes.

So here you can have one point of around 20.

Now it’s your turn to tell me what is wrong.

My primary issue is that they haven't improved the team, nor have they even started a stealth rebuild, knowing that a full rebuild isn't possible. This league is about results. Thats what I am judging JR& Co on. IMHO They have wasted a full year. They aren't icing a better team, and we haven't moved on from assets and built for the future.

The 4th line moves were needed to basically ice a full 4 line roster. I'm not opposed to whats happened there.

The Miller signing was a huge mistake. I was saying this before he started playing poorly. 

Kuz was a freebie and Mikhayev was a miss because thats $5M we could have spent on defense.

Boes signing was also a mistake. Yes he has points on the board, but he is injury prone, likely not part of the long term and should have been moved to improve the D

So in my opinion, they have made a lot of mistakes. They signed or traded for literally 9 forwards before starting this season. At that time all they had done for the D was pick up Dermott at least years deadline.  Stillman was a bust. 

Baer was the only solid move theyve made on D.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’re skills coaches.

They’re literally no different than Malhotra or Higgins were here.

I know everyone’s looking at people to blame but you’re way off on this.

So they are teaching PP and cycling? 

Certainly not back-checking or physical play

5 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I don't get why Bruce changed BB and Garland when we were doing good.A line change later in the game when we were doing good did not help.To me that's saying hey change it up so we can lose.

I don’t think he trusts Garland defensively but why you would swap BB in for him in defensive situation is beyond my capacity for understanding.  Maybe he thought a slow fly by and elbow wave in opponents general direction was what was needed.

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I don’t think he trusts Garland defensively but why you would swap BB in for him in defensive situation is beyond my capacity for understanding.  Maybe he thought a slow fly by and elbow wave in opponents general direction was what was needed.

LOL silent tank haha

3 hours ago, Muttley said:

Schenn's right. He plays the right way every shift. Hughes is lucky to have him as a mentor and linemate. Bear's new enough that he can be given a mulligan for getting used to systems. Still, he shows a consistent level of effort.

It comes down to the passengers on the defense, Myers, OEL, and Stillman.

Myers is a joke. He's woefully inconsistent and prone to making horrible decisions. Benning, the numbskull, wasted so much cap space on signing this guy.

OEL is half the player he once was, is nowhere worth his salary, which Benning, again the numbskull, traded three contracts set to expire in one season, for a has-been. Flinching when he should be blocking, losing his man far too often. 

Stillman was given up by Chicago for a reason. 

Two of the three aforementioned mistakes fall on Benning. The third is on Alvin and Rutherford. Finding a way to move on from Myers, OEL, and Stillman is essential. They clearly aren't of the same mind Schenn is, nor are they as good as he is at playing the position. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Where are these 'big changes' that JR has been hinting at for weeks now........?

He was one of the most prolific 'traders' during his GM days and now - crickets........yes I understand Allvin is GM now, but he's supposed to be mentored by Jim, who never left a bad trade unexplored in his day.

To be fair, not a lot of teams will be looking to make moves RIGHT now. Most teams wait longer to see where they're shaking out in the standings, where they have holes/injuries, accrue cap space etc, etc.

It's not impossible something happens sooner, but we're likely looking more at the December roster freeze, if not closer to the TDL, before we start seeing major moving and shaking.

Get comfy and wallow in this misery with me.

sit-here-homer.gif

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

When JR was hired he was talking the talk the first few months, they haven't walked the walk. 

It's ridiculous to point fingers at the fanbase for judging, of course we're going to judge. We're the ones who watch games, buy merch, buy tickets, pay for cable packages, and generally spend money on the product. Of course we get a say, of course we can speak up and voice our opinions and views. It's as if management have taken this fanbase for granted, assuming we'll always lap up whatever they give us while they stumble through the process of trying to figure things out. 

They have taken the fanbase for granted but there is a large portion here that laps up everything as long as we keep pretending we can compete. In their eyes management can't fail and they support the players to the bitter end. Until this changes there is no reason for management to make any critical decisions that put themselves at risk.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

considering Garland made a few good defensive plays and BB watched Pieterangelo blow right by him for the game winner...........

Edited by stawns

3 hours ago, Muttley said:

If players aren't putting the effort in - it is absolutely management's JOB to get rid of these players and bring in guys who will put in the effort. 

Time for these 'big changes' JR has been hinting at for weeks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

If players aren't putting the effort in - it is absolutely management's JOB to get rid of these players and bring in guys who will put in the effort. 

Time for these 'big changes' JR has been hinting at for weeks. 

Yup, send them out to Ottawa and Columbus. 

Too many nice guys that aren't winners on this club.  

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, not a lot of teams will be looking to make moves RIGHT now. Most teams wait longer to see where they're shaking out in the standings, where they have holes/injuries, accrue cap space etc, etc.

It's not impossible something happens sooner, but we're likely looking more at the December roster freeze, if not closer to the TDL, before we start seeing major moving and shaking.

I understand, but at the same time then JR shouldn't be out there in the public telling media that if things don't turn around we should expect 'big changes' sooner rather than later.  When he does that (hint at 'big changes') and nothing happens, the optics are just poor and people notice these mixed messages from management.  

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1