The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should the Canucks approach be at the trade deadline if they’re in the playoff race?

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Trade Deadline Approach  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let’s the say the Canucks are in the playoffs race (few points in or out of the playoffs), as the trade deadline approaches. What should their approach be: become buyers to make the playoffs, become sellers and look at the future or stay put?

It could very well be a seller's market this trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

I'm accepting the fact that we won't sell high on anyone. Just don't buy. This isn't a Benning situation where job security depends on making wild card and 1st and 2nds need to be traded for immediate help.

JR and PA say they want to build something sustainable.  Let's keep our picks at the very least.

Move contracts if they can. We actually have the depth to over come and still make the playoffs. The only tough questions would be Kuzmenko and Horvat.

Guys like Myers, Pearson. Maybe Garland and Boeser. You move in a heartbeat or risk not getting offers in the offseason and then we are hooped  

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Keep finding deals like they did with Hamonic for Dermott. Still somewhat of a lateral move but they got cheaper and younger despite the quality being relatively the same.

Can they find some options for Myers, Pearson, Boeser, Garland, etc? Thats how I would want this team to approach the deadline. We aren't true contenders but probably not bad enough to sell off all the veterans and go bear bones for the rest of the season.

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Keep finding deals like they did with Hamonic for Dermott. Still somewhat of a lateral move but they got cheaper and younger despite the quality being relatively the same.

Can they find some options for Myers, Pearson, Boeser, Garland, etc? Thats how I would want this team to approach the deadline. We aren't true contenders but probably not bad enough to sell off all the veterans and go bear bones for the rest of the season.

Those are minor things.  They have a far more pressing issue to solve with Horvat, Miller and Kuz.  This is the season a path forward absolutely has to be made clear 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

20 minutes ago, Doxm said:

They SHOULD rebuild, however they wont - they will be buyers & go for broke. 

Teams that have 2 top C's, 2 PPG wingers,  a top D and a top G don't rebuild. 

They will make significant changes, but no way they rebuild.  

I think they are looking for another buy low deal on D like they got in Ethan Bear right now.  If one doesn't happen, then one or both of Boeser/Garland will likely be dealt for stay at home D before the deadline.  I don't see either of those deals being a home run in terms of assets.  We will get a mid range D, and cap space going forward, which is huge.

We will have 14 mill next year, as our bonuses won't carry over ( The big win in the Dickinson deal), most of that goes to Horvat/Kuz. two or three of Boeser, Myers, Garland will have to go to rebuild our D.

This team is not as far off as people think.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The smart move would be to sell and acquire assets that will help down the road.

The dumb, and most likely move that ownership will mandate would be to be buyers but then management will realize they've got no cap to work with and end up doing nothing.......

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

They don't really have a choice.  Big moves, one way or another, have to be made.  They're not just letting Horvat and Kuz walk.

Kuzmenko I think we will be holding him if the intent is to resign. 

if they talk and he’s going to walk at free agency then trade him for sure.

or if they had a Gentlemen’s agreement to not move him for his first year so he has stability while learning nhl / new culture / English I could see that too.

if we let Bo walk I will be taking a mental health break from the team. 

• Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, Devron said:

Move contracts if they can. We actually have the depth to over come and still make the playoffs. The only tough questions would be Kuzmenko and Horvat.

Guys like Myers, Pearson. Maybe Garland and Boeser. You move in a heartbeat or risk not getting offers in the offseason and then we are hooped  

If we could ship out myers and pearson great. But if their returns will be better without contracts coming back after their bonuses paid then we have to wait a little longer.

one of garland or boeser at TDL would be good 

• Vintage 2