The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Nux have given permission for Boeser’s agent to talk to other teams

RWJC

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

a dman with that pick is probably 4 years away, so not ideal for a Hughes partner.

Chabot drafted at #18, contributing player two years after drafted

McAvoy drafted at #14, contributing player one year after drafted.

Chychrun at #16, contributing 0 years after.

Dobson at #12, 1 year after

K. Miller at #22, 2 years after

Now do I expect them to be a legit 1st pair NHL D right after the draft and leading us to a cup? No. But there's zero reason we can't draft someone that can come in and be quite productive in years 0-2 and move up to that role in year 2-4. Sign a short term vet like Jensen to bridge the gap and voila.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Now do I expect them to be a legit 1st pair NHL D right after the draft and leading us to a cup? No. But there's zero reason we can't draft someone that can come in and be quite productive in years 0-2 and move up to that role in year 2-4. Sign a short term vet like Jensen to bridge the gap and voila.

Is there a guy at that level in this year's draft?  Or do we have to trade the pick to get one?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is there a guy at that level in this year's draft?  Or do we have to trade the pick to get one?

Never know until you know. I mean where does McAvoy go in a redraft? Second after Mathews?

There's a few solid D ranked to go in the 10-25 range this draft. Right where our Islanders pick should land. Take a C with our pick, D with the Isles pick...Keep on building.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And in all those years, how many dmen were drafted in that spot? The odds are very much  against a dman drafted in that range getting to the NHL that fast 

You have to go with the median, not the outlier.  It can happen, but you don't plan around that

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

And in all those years, how many dmen were drafted in that spot.  The odds are very much  against a dman drafted in that range getting to the NHL that fast 

You have to go with the median, not the outlier.

What "spot"? 12-22? Not that many, actually pretty good odds you get a solid D in that range...probably not far off 50/50. By all means you still have to do solid scouting. But you have to actually TAKE guys in that range... to get those guys. We haven't.  Notice our organization's historic lack of good D? End of story.

None of those guys were particularly risky IMO.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What "spot"? 12-22? Not that many, actually pretty good odds you get a solid D in that range...probably not far off 50/50. By all means you still have to do solid scouting. But you have to actually TAKE guys in that range... to get those guys. We haven't.  Notice our organization's historic lack of good D? End of story.

None of those guys were particularly risky IMO.

I would be very surprised at 50/50.  I think probably 10-15%.  Certainly nothing you'd plan around, which was the original question I was replying to, that this years Islanders pick would be the ideal partner for Hughes.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would be very surprised at 50/50.  I think probably 10-15%.  Certainly nothing you'd plan around, which was the original question I was replying to, that this years Islanders pick would be the ideal partner for Hughes.

How many D do you think are drafted every year between 10-20'ish? I just listed off a bunch of legit top pair, never mind top 4, D. It's pretty damn good odds. And again, the only way you get these guys is....?

There's a reason we've lacked high quality D men throughout our organization's history, we have drafted far too few D men high.

They're not boogeymen Stawns, you want good D, you have to draft them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How many D do you think are drafted every year between 10-20'ish? I just listed off a bunch of legit top pair, never mind top 4, D. It's pretty damn good odds. And again, the only way you get these guys is....?

There's a reason we've lacked high quality D men throughout our organization's history, we have drafted far too few D men high.

Like Juolevi, right?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

assuming this management team can select the right player with their 1st round selection. 

Pick the wrong guy, and it's Virtanen and Juolevi all over again. 

25 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Like Juolevi, right?

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

assuming this management team can select the right player with their 1st round selection. 

This:

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

Or one of the three stud D drafted after OJ. You need to roll the dice to win. 

And yes, having some wherewithal (and luck, sure) to identify the studs sure does help.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not every draft is the same though.  I don't really see a McAvoy type in this year's draft.  Or Chabot or Chychrun.  In 2020, the Rangers moved up to #19 to get Braden Schneider.  He was the best of the bunch. The rest of the guys after him are all projects at this point.

We have some good prospects at LHD coming up, so we really need to focus on RHD.  I don't see anyone available in the first round of this draft other than that smallish Swedish dude and Reinbacher.  Maybe Reinbacher turns out.  If he doesn't then you are looking at trying to find a Brandon Carlo in the 2nd or 3rd round.

28 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

38 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Like Juolevi, right?

Yes, lets never draft D in the 1st round cause it might go bad. This same line of thinking can be applied to literally everything. If we win the draft lottery, lets just trade it away. That could be the next Nail Yakupov after all. Nobody is saying using a 1st rounder guarantees you a good d-man. But the odds are sure as sh*t better than never drafting D-men in the 1st round. Everyone wants those stud D, but they always bring up Juolevi like that's the norm.

Nobody brings up the fact we drafted Hughes though. :rolleyes: Immediately bring up Juolevi every time the idea of drafting a D comes up.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yes, lets never draft D in the 1st round cause it might go bad. This same line of thinking can be applied to literally everything. If we win the draft lottery, lets just trade it away. That could be the next Nail Yakupov after all. Nobody is saying using a 1st rounder guarantees you a good d-man. But the odds are sure as sh*t better than never drafting D-men in the 1st round. Everyone wants those stud D, but they always bring up Juolevi like that's the norm.

Nobody brings up the fact we drafted Hughes though. :rolleyes: Immediately bring up Juolevi every time the idea of drafting a D comes up.

Probably need to go BPA (hey…that’s me :P) in the 1st round.

It was a toss up for Ehlers/Virtanen/Nylander.  I personally wanted Nylander.  But Tkachuk was certainly the BPA over Juolevi.

But then again…I wanted Glass over EP.  So what do I know.

Lol.

:lol:

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not every draft is the same though.  I don't really see a McAvoy type in this year's draft.  Or Chabot or Chychrun.  In 2020, the Rangers moved up to #19 to get Braden Schneider.  He was the best of the bunch. The rest of the guys after him are all projects at this point.

We have some good prospects at LHD coming up, so we really need to focus on RHD.  I don't see anyone available in the first round of this draft other than that smallish Swedish dude and Reinbacher.  Maybe Reinbacher turns out.  If he doesn't then you are looking at trying to find a Brandon Carlo in the 2nd or 3rd round.

No they're not the same, you're correct. 2017 was pretty "meh" for D outside the top 5 for example.

I'd certainly consider any of Pellika, Reinbacher, Dragicevic, Willander and maybe Bonk. And really, we just need quality D... taking a lefty like Gulyayev or Morin might not be the end of the world either.

Wost case, maybe we can package one of them for McAvoy in a few years when BOS has to rebuild ::D

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1