The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

It is weird that I find myself in the don't trade him for just trading sake. I love the idea of accumulating draft picks. More darts to throw it. The board means more chances at quality return and development.

Hes the player to use to target the kind of prospect that management spoke of. One that has all the potential but for some reason is not putting it together or is buried in the depth of a deep team.

But, at the same time as Canucks fans, we have always had this fantasy of players wanting to play at home in Vancouver. The belief that we can trade them and they will happily return in the off season. Well, I firmly believe Luke is that player. I believe as management you have to approach him and tell him you will only be gone for a couple of months and we will bring you right back no matter what.

I believe a handshake agreement with him is not only possible but optimal and an almost guarantee because he genuinely wants to be at home.

So it is an interesting scenario because while I don't believe they should just trade him for a third round pick or less. I also do believe that no matter what happens, he will end up back in Vancouver so they should try to maximize any level of return while it is available

Just now, mll said:

Schenn sent home to protect him as trade asset.  What about the others.  Does it mean they don't think they'll be able to move anyone else this TDL and think it's more off-season deals.

I wonder if it's just that they feel they're very "close" with a deal for Schenn and others not so much?

• Cheers 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

I wonder if it's just that they feel they're very "close" with a deal for Schenn and others not so much?

I think so. I wouldn't say that they feel pressure to move him, but I think they feel that he's really the only other guy on our roster who they are on a limited timeframe to turn into a future asset. He's also about the only guy who wouldn't be a hockey trade, player for player, he'll go for a pick because of how low his cap hit is, most contenders can afford to absorb his current contract.

Everyone else, Boeser, Miller, Garland etc, all have term left and would require a lot more movement from other clubs to make numbers work.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think this gif, pretty accurately represents what Toronto has left to offer up to try and replace Muzzin before the deadline....

Kristen Wiig Vegan GIF

I'd take Fraser Minten or Matthew Knies and call it a day, I doubt they move either though

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/fraser-minten

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/matthew-knies

53 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Honestly Nate, I am not trading Schenn if it is for just a late 3rd. I think there is more to benefit keeping him at that point. Good will gets seeen around the league, and as players age and become less valuable on the UFA market, players  see that a aging players gets treated with respect......that goes along way

But, if it is for a 2nd, then players will understand the value of that, and not place any blame on the Canuck management. Even sending Luke home early has it's merits, because these guys talk, and so do the agents,........I think the Canucks have handled this excellently.....and its a win win for them regardless of what happens in the trade front.

While I appreciate your opinion, you don't really get a say.  If the market is a 3rd, he will get a third, if it's a 2nd, he will get a 2nd.  Reality is, Schenn is going to get dealt to the highest bidder.  As long as he gets dealt , it is positive on 3 fronts.....We get more draft capital that can be used to either pick a player or use to move up/down, we lose a good D which helps us get a better pick, we get to take a look at 1 extra prospect down the stretch.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It is weird that I find myself in the don't trade him for just trading sake. I love the idea of accumulating draft picks. More darts to throw it. The board means more chances at quality return and development.

Hes the player to use to target the kind of prospect that management spoke of. One that has all the potential but for some reason is not putting it together or is buried in the depth of a deep team.

But, at the same time as Canucks fans, we have always had this fantasy of players wanting to play at home in Vancouver. The belief that we can trade them and they will happily return in the off season. Well, I firmly believe Luke is that player. I believe as management you have to approach him and tell him you will only be gone for a couple of months and we will bring you right back no matter what.

I believe a handshake agreement with him is not only possible but optimal and an almost guarantee because he genuinely wants to be at home.

So it is an interesting scenario because while I don't believe they should just trade him for a third round pick or less. I also do believe that no matter what happens, he will end up back in Vancouver so they should try to maximize any level of return while it is available

I’m mixed because on one hand I’m a big time believer in asset management and Schenn is over 30 and a pending UFA on a team that’s not expecting to compete next year which makes it logical to move him. 

On the other hand I’m a big fan of player loyalty and team loyalty to players. I think Schenn is the happiest he’s been in his career and I can see him eventually wanting to retire with us in a few years. He hasn’t been in Vancouver forever but he’s established himself as an important presence in our organization. He’s a great team guy and a great locker room guy. 

My hope is we trade him and tell him to go get another cup but have him come back in the offseason. That way you manage your asset and still keep the loyalty. Do things like that happen? Not really. I’m torn but ultimately I think asset management is highly important right now, especially given our fairly weak prospect pool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Honestly Nate, I am not trading Schenn if it is for just a late 3rd. I think there is more to benefit keeping him at that point. Good will gets seeen around the league, and as players age and become less valuable on the UFA market, players  see that a aging players gets treated with respect......that goes along way

But, if it is for a 2nd, then players will understand the value of that, and not place any blame on the Canuck management. Even sending Luke home early has it's merits, because these guys talk, and so do the agents,........I think the Canucks have handled this excellently.....and its a win win for them regardless of what happens in the trade front.

I'd want a player or late first, at least.  

• Vintage 1