The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 07, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, lmm said:

As some people near retirement, they start to think of "Legacy" 

if  you follow politics you will notice very conservative PMs or Premiers spend money on Legacy projects when they no longer intend to run again

Arts, Sports, Medicine etc

I think New Jimmer is in that phase of his career

filling Canuck management with Shiny new toys 

everyone rememebers that the first Swedish player was Borge Salming, and that he played for the Leafs

(He wasn't really, but that is the story)

Jim is definitely the first Prez to hire a Swedish GM and added 2 female AGMs

someday when Jim is (even) older than he is today, people will look back and say, "Wow JR was really forward thinking"

maybe he hangs around long enough to promote Castonguay to GM

that is his motivation IMO

Certainly. It’s a superficial legacy, mind you, but one all the same. 

Who he’s put in positions of management have shown to be questionable in some of the signings and trades they’ve completed already. What’s on the ice is really what counts. And while many of Benning’s choices have crippled this team, one would think that newer and more experienced leadership would have made more calculated decisions, which doesn’t really look to be the case. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And yet was second to Schenn in hits with 3, the last of which was huge.  Stillman had pinched in and the puck was against the boards in Sharks end, deep.  JT was covering at the point for him, just itching to get into the play.  Finally puck rattles round behind the net, Stillman comes back, and JT sets off like a guided missile diagonally to the far corner, and lays a massive hit on, I think, Benning.  Gets up, and as the camera pans away was grimacing as he returned to the bench.  Never came out again, and sat thru OT, not benched, IMO, but hurting.  You can see the sequence around the 16 min or so of the 3rd period. 

And it is telling that when Joshua was serving his major, it was JT that Bruce sent out to complement Aman and Lazar. ... his style of play is most like theirs, and iirc that shift spent the entirety in the Sharks end.   JT gets much deserved criticism, but he is the spiritual leader of this team, warts an' all

100%

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The Avs did it recently too, selling off ROR, Duchene and others to deep dive for top picks and adding top picks with the trades.  The only teams to win Cups in the cap era that didn’t deep dive were the Bruins and the Blues.  

This is the draft to stock up if we're ever gonna do it

13 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

This is the draft to stock up if we're ever gonna do it

agreed

and also like your sig

I always look for Stiller when we are up by a goal 

and could use a couple against

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

agreed

and also like your sig

I always look for Stiller when we are up by a goal 

and could use a couple against

there's a chance that by the end of this year, my picture will change from loui the great to stillman the magnificent

a stillman-poolman pair would probably do the trick. songs would be written about the glory of those two on the ice together

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Avs did it recently too, selling off ROR, Duchene and others to deep dive for top picks and adding top picks with the trades.  The only teams to win Cups in the cap era that didn’t deep dive were the Bruins and the Blues.  

Our time will come. No way JR sticks with a team that struggles to beat bottom teams. JR does have to speed things up though, while Pettersson is still young.

If he wants to continue with Benning’s team…then we are truly f**ked

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You telling me that Rutherford was the best option?

I’m not saying Rutherford is the best option,

I just asked who you would of selected.

Alvin is the GM. He is trying to clean up Benning’s 8 year mess.

it’s been one year now of this current regime.

It was over for me when Benning traded a first round pick( top 10) a 2nd and a 7th. 
In The OEL trade.

Edited by wildwood12

1 minute ago, wildwood12 said:

I’m not saying Rutherford is the best option,

I just asked who you would of selected.

Alvin is the GM. He is trying to clean up Benning’s 8 year mess.

it’s been one year now of this current regime.

It was over for me when Benning traded a first round pick, 2nd and a 7th. 
In The OEL trade.

I started losing faith with the Linden Vey trade

I was OK with the Kesler deal, but things went sideways quickly after that

that is why I have very little patience for New Jim and Allvinie

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

there's a chance that by the end of this year, my picture will change from loui the great to stillman the magnificent

a stillman-poolman pair would probably do the trick. songs would be written about the glory of those two on the ice together

maybe the Still Pool would create a Mosquito Man

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They're not getting anything good back. He's borderline worthless.

I don't think so, they might get a guy like fabbro back in a deal.  Might not be superb, but it'll move the needle a bit I think.  What they won't get, imo, is much cap space.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, they might get a guy like fabbro back in a deal.  Might not be superb, but it'll move the needle a bit I think.  What they won't get, imo, is much cap space.

Pointless then really unless it shaves a year off on our side. Doesn't really accomplish anything to get a $4.5m Dermott. I guess it's a million or two they can blow on some more short sighted players maybe. 

The Canucks might be the worst positioned team In the NHL. Either way just another bad investment that has to run its course.