The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 07, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Same. And I still wanted changes to this team then (bubble team being not good enough, major structural/succession issues, cap issues, organizational depth issues).

So you can imagine my thoughts on the team that's not been playing to even the middling expectations I had...

I dont think its a question of lack of talent though (which you mentioned).We've both seen talentless Canuck teams.

This isnt one of them.

I just think the goaltending ,which we banked on, has let the whole season down.

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Aquilini made yet another shortsighted decision in hiring that fossil Rutherford. Any blame for where this team/organization is heading rests solely on the shoulders of the owners who truly have displayed that they have no idea how to run a successful hockey team. 

Who should they have hired then Phil?

Edited by wildwood12

39 minutes ago, BPA said:

Canucks are 2pts out of a wildcard spot.  Pretty sure FA will want to go for it and try to make the playoffs like last year.

It doesn't mean they are making rental pick ups, giving up high draft picks, etc. It may just mean they ride the current roster and see what they can do.  It will get healthier over time (Demko, Pearson, Dermott and maybe Poolman), so there's potential for improvement in performance and depth. Sign the players they want to keep during off season (Kuz, Bo), buyout or trade players that don't fit into their plans (OEL, Myers, BB, Garland etc).  I'm sure their performance will impact the decision to do it by trade deadline or do it in off season.  But I don't see this management gambling anything to get one or two playoff round appearance.  JR signed on to win the Cup and wanted autonomy from Aquilini. Aquilini flew to his house to convince him to take the job.  

It was a stated goal in the pre season to make the playoffs.  I don't think that has changed. Bruce said it would be a disaster if they don't make it.  

Edited by Jaimito

1 hour ago, wildwood12 said:

Who should they have hired then Phil?

I wanted the guy Montreal got

but that is water under the bridge at this point

so I am going with Hansen

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

I wanted the guy Montreal got

but that is water under the bridge at this point

so I am going with Hansen

Hughes (the Habs’ hire) is a rebuilding GM.  Our owner wouldn’t go that direction.  So, like he always does, our owner goes with management that will follow his direction.  And we all seen what that is: sacrifice the future in hopes to win now.  I know it’s crazy but I’m still hopeful our owner will allow JR to at least retool. Move one or two key core pieces and go back a bit, but then leap ahead of where we are now when those pieces are reaching their ceilings.  

12 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

So what do the last 3 games show?

The Canucks can compete and win in OT, three bottom teams, one that had 4 rookie defencemen, and all rebuilding and tanking for Bedard.

Still needed OT.

High scoring is fun and exciting if the team is a winner. 12 wins, 15 losses.

Teams a mess. I've just lowered my hopes and expectations. As long as the entertainment value is there, I will keep cheering. Man, can this version of the Canucks ever score, but we all know the story defensively. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I dont think its a question of lack of talent though (which you mentioned).We've both seen talentless Canuck teams.

This isnt one of them.

I just think the goaltending ,which we banked on, has let the whole season down.

This is a way bigger problem than goaltending.