The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 07, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

When have the Canucks drafted well in the 2nd round and later?? Their franchise history 2nd round plus have been probably one of if not the worse in the league out of all the teams.

You implied the only way to trend up is draft top 5. Dallas clearly doesn’t have to. Canucks hasn’t even drafted well in their top 10 the last 10 years so what’s your point? Just whine and complain? 

• There it is 1

30 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Is there any second of any day @EddieVedderthat Brock isn't living rent free in your head, tormenting your every waking moment and haunting your dreams? 

Brock would have a right mind to look into a restraining order against you buddy....jk

That being said, many sources have reported multiple teams interested in Boeser, including Freidman.  The Canucks have been reported to be willing to take a contract back or a pick of a reduced price to free up cap space.........that doesn't mean they are interested in giving up a lot for him, but all interested means is they would likely want to know what the price is. I know I know, how could any team be interested in a 25 year old, 4 time 20+ goal scorer, it's wild isn't it...struggling or not. Brock was on a PPG pace up until the last few games, even if the goals aren't coming teams will consider it. 

My love for Stillman is still greater than Eddie’s hate for Boeser 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

When have the Canucks drafted well in the 2nd round and later?? Their franchise history 2nd round plus have been probably one of if not the worse in the league out of all the teams.

We've only had 5 of our 14 second round picks in 14 years, since we took Rodin. 

Oh wait... aaaannd we just lost another one. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, mordekai said:

You implied the only way to trend up is draft top 5. Dallas clearly doesn’t have to. Canucks hasn’t even drafted well in their top 10 the last 10 years so what’s your point? Just whine and complain? 

Lol? Because Dallas drafted well therefore the Canucks will draft well? And yes the only way THIS franchise have a chance at drafting is drafting in the top 10. They have a far better chance at succeeding than watching this team throw darts at the draft board and miss. I take the 2 fails in top 10 so 50% success rate over  the yearly fails at 2-7 round operating maybe at 5% or lower. How many 2nd round and later pick had success with this club? 1? Demko? and hoglander if you are really reaching?

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

I think part of the reason they've granted Boeser's people permission to talk to other teams is they would like to move him to free up room to Sign Bo and Potentially Kuz if they want to. I'm not convinced they didn't re-sign Boeser with the intention to essentially sign and trade if he didn't recapture his form after the passing of his father. There are teams that like Boeser, if there's a fair deal they should, and likely will take it. Buying out OEL makes sense, and Myers should be shipped out, even if it takes a mid round pick....addition by subtraction. 

I don’t think they’ll get much cap room from a Boeser deal.  They do need to trade him, however, and they do need something good coming back

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol? Because Dallas drafted well therefore the Canucks will draft well? And yes the only way THIS franchise have a chance at drafting is drafting in the top 10. They have a far better chance at succeeding than watching this team throw darts at the draft board and miss. I take the 2 fails in top 10 so 50% success rate over  the yearly fails at 2-7 round operating maybe at 5% or lower. How many 2nd round and later pick had success with this club? 1? Demko? and hoglander if you are really reaching?

why not? Is that impossible? is Benning still drafting? is Gillis still drafting? I mean we changed our amateur scouts and also new management. Or what you are basing the entire management because of their pick on Lekkerimaki having a poor start?

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Don’t see miller moved don’t see JR as the type that would admit to his mistake. He would rather double down on miller before admitting he was wrong. Kuz if what his agent said about not talking contract till season ends then yes he will be moved. The way he’s producing atm why wouldn’t he be looking for a 7+ mil contract for at least 1 year and then sign the home run like panarin? Will JR be willing to pay that? Prolly not. Bo highly unlikely he signs for the dollar figure he’s looking for unless ownership steps in. Given JR started the negotiation with a pay cut aka suggesting he didn’t even earn his current contract heading into his prime year. Bo is going to give this management a discount? Prolly not. Again I don’t see JR admitting he f up and therefore he will double down and trade bo hope he regress next year and say I told you so

Well, either he admits his mistake and rectifies it while he can, or his legacy is sending his last franchise into the toilet for a decade or so.  They can handle losing Miller, they can’t with Horvat.

• Cheers 3

Well we managed to scrape by another bottom feeder. I suppose they all count, it's 2 points after all.

By the end of this month we will know where we stand. We have 5 divisional games coming up so they are must-win ones. We can maybe afford 2 or three losses in the other games, but any more and it's probably full-on tank especially now that we are without Demko. We obviously can't rely on Martin unless we are scoring a minimum 5 goals at the other end. Haven't seen enough of Delia to know whether he will be good for a few games, one of the goals he let in against the Habs was a total fluke, so maybe he can steal a couple of wins if the guys in front of him can give him some support. That's a big if.........

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

51 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

this is true

but its kind of funny that the new management team went real heavy on inclusive managers

Which of our AGMs are in charge of drafting?

Drafting can be fixed in 2 ways, (both are necessary)

1 invest in better scouting

2 invest in more picks

Off the top of my head, I'd say a team would be lucky to get 2 good players from every 5 top 3 picks

something like 1/2 firsts are hits and 1/3 second/thirds

so with our penchant for trading seconds, if we have 1 first and 1 third every year, we probably score on 1 first every 2 drafts and one 2/3rd every 3 years

which is probably what Ol Jimmer managed

if we accumulated 5 picks in the first 3 rounds this year, we probably get 2 good players

proof

2014 ----4 picks in the first 3 rounds--- McCann and Demko

2015+16   --- 4 picks, Boeser, Brisebois? Lockwood?

2017 ----4 picks, Petey , Gadjovich

2018 +19 --- 5 picks. Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander

2020 +21 + 22-- 4 picks (UGH) , Lekkermaki, Klim, Jurmo, Petey 2.0 

that is 2 out of 4

1 out of 4

3 out of 5 

and who knows in the last 3 years/drafts

bottom line

not enough picks  and not enough scouting 

and not enough development

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Well we managed to scrape by another bottom feeder. I suppose they all count, it's 2 points after all.

By the end of this month we will know where we stand. We have 5 divisional games coming up so they are must-win ones. We can maybe afford 2 or three losses in the other games, but any more and it's probably full-on tank especially now that we are without Demko. We obviously can't rely on Martin unless we are scoring a minimum 5 goals at the other end. Haven't seen enough of Delia to know whether he will be good for a few games, one of the goals he let in against the Habs was a total fluke, so maybe he can steal a couple of wins if the guys in front of him can give him some support. That's a big if.........

They absolutely have to get back to playing in their own end with the same intensity and discipline that play with in the ozone.  That was the difference on the road trip, they worked hard in their own end and they played with structure.  If they keep playing loosely gooses in their own end, like they did on this last homestand,. They’re going to get ripped to shreds

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Last man standing….  The players on the IR could be a World Cup contender Lol

see what it looks like in Feb.

The Avs alone have :

B954621C-9CF3-415A-BA1E-7A8E5E30CCB9.thumb.jpeg.577a84464e96d70d41ea4f89e1a0cf0e.jpeg

FULL LIST:

https://puckpedia.com/injuries

Yup....decimated would be a good word here....now why couldn't this be Boston's list of injured players.....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

No we haven't.

We've barely been getting lucky OT wins against bottom of the barrel teams and have been absolutely buried by playoff teams that actually have talent and play with structure. We had two games where we played relatively well against the Knights and a hobbled Avs team. That's it.

Two games.

This entire season.

Not winning hockey.

I've had the Canucks pegged a playoff bubble team since the start of the season.Thats nothing spectacular.

If not for the some of the worst Canuck goaltending we've seen in decades, the Canucks would currently be a playoff team.

The recent home games against Washington and Florida were basically no shows (you're not going to win them all).I think that any team would have beaten the Canucks in those games.

The teams that have significantly owned them have been NJD, and CAR

12 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I've had the Canucks pegged a playoff bubble team since the start of the season.Thats nothing spectacular.

If not for the some of the worst Canuck goaltending we've seen in decades, the Canucks would currently be a playoff team.

The recent home games against Washington and Florida were basically no shows (you're not going to win them all).I think that any team would have beaten the Canucks in those games.

The teams that have significantly owned them have been NJD, and CAR

Same. And I still wanted changes to this team then (bubble team being not good enough, major structural/succession issues, cap issues, organizational depth issues).

So you can imagine my thoughts on the team that's not been playing to even the middling expectations I had...

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don’t think they’ll get much cap room from a Boeser deal.  They do need to trade him, however, and they do need something good coming back

Yeah, the player coming back (if that's the case) would likely only save them a couple million if lucky, would be optimal if it were a pick or prospect...I find it hard to gauge his value right now. It's either higher or lower than we all think haha. 

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, either he admits his mistake and rectifies it while he can, or his legacy is sending his last franchise into the toilet for a decade or so.  They can handle losing Miller, they can’t with Horvat.

Miller’s signing wasn’t the mistake, the term was. (7years vs 4) would have been easier to swallow. But even if it was a mistake who does he have to be accountable to? Nobody. The failure to resign Horvat  WAS the mistake! and that’s the one he’ll never admit to. But I don’t need to hear him admit to anything to recognize that. He has gone on record stating they shopped Miller and there wasn’t anything. It was at that point he needed to pull back the reins on signing miller. (Term) Before objectively weighing it against horvats prior 2 season point trajectory and slightly better 2way play. And proven loyalty. Miller’s signing was reckless but not a mistake. In a perfect world they need both. The fact he over looked horvats small sample size point increase (2yrs) Suggests he never looked past miller’s 1 year 99 point breakout either. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Don’t see miller moved don’t see JR as the type that would admit to his mistake. He would rather double down on miller before admitting he was wrong. Kuz if what his agent said about not talking contract till season ends then yes he will be moved. The way he’s producing atm why wouldn’t he be looking for a 7+ mil contract for at least 1 year and then sign the home run like panarin? Will JR be willing to pay that? Prolly not. Bo highly unlikely he signs for the dollar figure he’s looking for unless ownership steps in. Given JR started the negotiation with a pay cut aka suggesting he didn’t even earn his current contract heading into his prime year. Bo is going to give this management a discount? Prolly not. Again I don’t see JR admitting he f up and therefore he will double down and trade bo hope he regress next year and say I told you so

Aquilini made yet another shortsighted decision in hiring that fossil Rutherford. Any blame for where this team/organization is heading rests solely on the shoulders of the owners who truly have displayed that they have no idea how to run a successful hockey team. 

• Like 1