The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gary Bettman's 30th Anniversary

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

How time does fly:

https://www.nhl.com/news/gary-bettman-hiring-as-nhl-commissioner-30-years-ago-changed-face-of-hockey/c-338581258

Bettman hiring as NHL Commissioner 30 years ago changed face of hockey

How Board of Governors meeting on Dec. 11, 1992, set League on new course for success

The black NHL All-Star jersey featured the League's old black-and-orange logo on the front. Instead of a last name on the back, it said, "COMMISSIONER." It was No. 1.

Gary Bettman pulled it on 30 years ago, after he was elected the NHL's first commissioner at the Board of Governors meeting at The Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida, on Dec. 11, 1992.

To his left stood Gil Stein, the outgoing NHL president. To his right was Bruce McNall, the owner of the Los Angeles Kings and the chairman of the Board of Governors.

Bettman smiled wide.

He was already an accomplished executive as the senior vice president and general counsel of the NBA. But there were only four leaders of major sports leagues in North America, and now, at just 40 years old, he'd be one of them.

cut.jpg

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

How time does fly:

https://www.nhl.com/news/gary-bettman-hiring-as-nhl-commissioner-30-years-ago-changed-face-of-hockey/c-338581258

Bettman hiring as NHL Commissioner 30 years ago changed face of hockey

How Board of Governors meeting on Dec. 11, 1992, set League on new course for success

The black NHL All-Star jersey featured the League's old black-and-orange logo on the front. Instead of a last name on the back, it said, "COMMISSIONER." It was No. 1.

Gary Bettman pulled it on 30 years ago, after he was elected the NHL's first commissioner at the Board of Governors meeting at The Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida, on Dec. 11, 1992.

To his left stood Gil Stein, the outgoing NHL president. To his right was Bruce McNall, the owner of the Los Angeles Kings and the chairman of the Board of Governors.

Bettman smiled wide.

He was already an accomplished executive as the senior vice president and general counsel of the NBA. But there were only four leaders of major sports leagues in North America, and now, at just 40 years old, he'd be one of them.

cut.jpg

When discussing his legacy, the question of whether the game got better vs profitable should be asked or considered  ?  And as a Canucks fan, how his leadership has affected the team & other Canadian teams.

Anyways, congrats for all the memories: Loungo penalty and any other future meddling, that is related to the Canucks.  Also, good luck with Yotes; the very fair & open draft lottery process; and all other bright ideas...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Not a popular opinion, but I think Bettman has been good for the game.  

He's definitely helped grow the game & knows how to market the game..

But the numbers don't add up to have no Canadian team winning the cup throughout his tenure.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Not a popular opinion, but I think Bettman has been good for the game.  

The open corruption in both the league office and the officiating ranks needs to be addressed.  He's also created a huge financial issue for the league in Arizona and disgraced the league with the jersey ads.  The next commissioner will need to have some respect for the sport in order to clean up the mess created by this parasite.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Maginator said:

He's definitely helped grow the game & knows how to market the game..

But the numbers don't add up to have no Canadian team winning the cup throughout his tenure.

With more teams added and the dollar really struggling it adds up a bit, paired with markets like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal to scared to properly rebuild vs losing gate revenue that adds a bit more. 

Overall Bettman objectively has been good for the game, though I hesitantly say this as I’m not his biggest fan, even more so after how the blackhawk incident was handled/swept under the rug. 

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The open corruption in both the league office and the officiating ranks needs to be addressed.  He's also created a huge financial issue for the league in Arizona and disgraced the league with the jersey ads.  The next commissioner will need to have some respect for the sport in order to clean up the mess created by this parasite.

Your hot takes are starting to wear on me.  How has Bettman disgraced the league with jersey ads?  As it stands right now, the NFL is one of the last sports leagues in the WORLD that doesn't have sponsors on their jerseys.  Goodell will likely follow suit.  It is the reality of sports and so it's hard to call Bettman a disgrace over that.  Your other points are valid.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Your hot takes are starting to wear on me.  How has Bettman disgraced the league with jersey ads?  As it stands right now, the NFL is one of the last sports leagues in the WORLD that doesn't have sponsors on their jerseys.  Goodell will likely follow suit.  It is the reality of sports and so it's hard to call Bettman a disgrace over that.  Your other points are valid.

I still consider these abominations incredibly disrespectful to the sport.  Reality is that there is zero excuse for tarnishing the league's reputation when jersey ads.  Just because the NBA doesn't have the integrity to treat their sport with enough respect to not allow these does not make Bettman's misconduct acceptable. Fans normalizng this garbage is part of the problem.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I still consider these abominations incredibly disrespectful to the sport.  Reality is that there is zero excuse for tarnishing the league's reputation when jersey ads.  Just because the NBA doesn't have the integrity to treat their sport with enough respect to not allow these does not make Bettman's misconduct acceptable. Fans normalizng this garbage is part of the problem.

If they keep it to just the one on the helmet and one on the jersey I have zero issues with it. If they go the way of European jerseys then no thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

What shall forever be known as the Corruption Era by Canadian hockey fans. 

The meddling allowed by Campbell in 2011 will always leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially with Chara basically leaking league info was funnelled to them. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The meddling allowed by Campbell in 2011 will always leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially with Chara basically leaking league info was funnelled to them. 

While 2011 is certainly a low point the Campbell emails in general showed continued favoritism for his baby boy....plus Bettman is/was Jeremy Jacobs' *&!@ holster. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Say what you will, but the NHL has grown immensely under Bettman's tenure. Not sure if that's his doing or if another commissioner would've done the same.

As a Canadian hockey fan, I don't really care that the NHL has grown immensely in the US.  Growth was

bound to happen, but in my mind (the immensity) has watered down the talent, while the salary cap has made

it almost impossible for Canadian teams to win the SC.  Canadian teams have a huge disadvantage.