The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] All Canucks FOR SALE except EP40 who is "Untouchable".

RU SERIOUS

Love Petey, but you telling me if an "astronomical" offer came for him they would say no? Cause they said an astronomical deal would be required for a Hughes trade. Just being a butt face, don't mind me. 

This is good news for those of us advocating blowing it up. Management dropped the ball in the summer not getting Marino and instead signing a 5mil dollar middle 6 winger. They further dropped it by seemingly destroying relations with Bo and Boeser. 

5 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

They won’t rebuild but they should and they should rebuild around Petey and Hughes with everyone else being expendable. The last thing we should do is retool, that’s what we’ve done over the last 8-9 years and it’s worked out terribly. Had we just started a rebuild instead of the retool nonsense we would be in a much better situation with our young players and cap

True.  But Gillis got fired for even suggesting the “R” word.  And what happened to Linden when he actually publicly used the “R” word?  Hopefully our owner will listen to JR.  I doubt it though.  So, we repeat the Benning era.  

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surely they could get us a combined 3-4 firsts, two A-grade prospects and a couple of B-C grade prospects.

If we were comitting to a rebuild it's worth it.

That being said, look at our history of 1st round picks....

The return doesn’t necessarily need to be prospects and picks.

For example  we can trade Pettersson to LA and the package could look something like; Vilardi, Kaliyev, Roy, and a first.

Vilardi and Kaliyev replaces Pettersson production (hopefully) and we finally get a stay-at-home defensemen (RHD), in his prime, to play with Hughes.

Edited by shiznak
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Petey is a super smart player, and certainly knows our team needs fixing.  As long as there is clear direction to fix the mess 

Petey will extend.  Oh, and 12 x 8 will help. 

Your kidding I know..Barzal just signed 8 X 9.2 --- Petey 8 yrs X 9.5  million AAV

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True.  But Gillis got fired for even suggesting the “R” word.  And what happened to Linden when he actually publicly used the “R” word?  Hopefully our owner will listen to JR.  I doubt it though.  So, we repeat the Benning era.  

Oh it definitely starts with ownership, being the president or GM of this team are some of the worst management positions in the NHL because you’re essentially neutered and unable to do what you really want to do or think is best. I know this team won’t rebuild, which is infuriating, but it’s what they should do. But instead, we will Wade in the pools of mediocrity like we have been doing. This team is the definition of insanity

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Invent a time machine, and go back to before new management put handcuffs on themselves?

90% of people on these boards wanted Miller re signed and already have buyers remorse. I thought he should have been moved 2 deadlines ago but certainly no later then last years deadline. Made no sense not moving him but signing him through his mid 30s where players generally decline, oftentimes rapidly

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I stand by it.

In order of value the following trades should be/need to be made to return the assets in picks and prospects over the next 3 years that will make this team truly competitive.

Horvat

Kuzmenko

Schenn

Garland

Then:

Miller

Boeser

Myers

Pearson

The first three will return the highest possible return in multiple picks and prospects which should be spread between this year and 2025.  Firsts for this and next year with the additional picks spread through to 2025.

The other three should be traded targetting the 2024 and 2025 drafts to ensure we're drafting multiple players over the next three straight drafts.

This ensures cap space and prospects as well as picks coming back to spread out the proverbial wealth over time instead of just one single shot in 2023.

It also ensures Vancouver is drafting top 5 for the next 3 seasons which, when added to the picks and prospects garnered via trades will set the team up for a decade 

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I stand by it.

In order of value the following trades should be/need to be made to return the assets in picks and prospects over the next 3 years that will make this team truly competitive.

Horvat

Kuzmenko

Schenn

Garland

Then:

Miller

Boeser

Myers

Pearson

The first three will return the highest possible return in multiple picks and prospects which should be spread between this year and 2025.  Firsts for this and next year with the additional picks spread through to 2025.

The other three should be traded targetting the 2024 and 2025 drafts to ensure we're drafting multiple players over the next three straight drafts.

This ensures cap space and prospects as well as picks coming back to spread out the proverbial wealth over time instead of just one single shot in 2023.

It also ensures Vancouver is drafting top 5 for the next 3 seasons which, when added to the picks and prospects garnered via trades will set the team up for a decade 

This would be awesome!  Hopefully our owner allows management to take this direction.  

1 minute ago, Provost said:

This is a way to excuse not actually accomplishing anything.  "Sorry, we couldn't make hockey trades because of the cap".

Teams wanting our players don't want to subtract from their rosters at the same time.  The way to accomplish this is to trade our players for picks and prospects (taking back short term money on expiring deals to make it work).  Then once you have a ton of assets, you can then use some of those as currency to take players from cap strapped teams or pick up good young RFAs who weren't qualified due to cap constraints.

You accomplish the same thing, but it takes a series of moves instead of one deal that directly solves your pressing needs.

Like we did with trading Hamonic for a third and then using a third to get Dermott?  Sure.  I’d rather we keep our picks and rebuild through the draft.  Obviously not allowed to happen though. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Starts with a top young player, A grade prospect and 2 firsts.

Probably from a team close, who want to make a big jump. NJD or Detroit for example. Problem is no team will pay that, it'd gut them. One first isn't enough either.

Yeah definitely would need to be 4 top tier pieces.