Joshua          Lazar             ?

Hughes               ?

?                          Bear

Dermott               Burroughs

Rathbone            Schenn

Martin

Who goes:

Garland and Pearson for picks/prospects

Myers at the trade deadline for picks/prospects.  Myers’ value as a trade chip will definitely increase after the five

million dollar payout

Boeser for a bad expiring contract and a prospect

Demko and Ekman Larson packaged together for a bad expiring contract and picks/prospects

Schenn and Burroughs at the TDL for picks/prospects

Horvat (love Horvat’s game, but we can’t afford another long term expensive contract.  For a windfall of talent

Who goes but comes back:

Aside from resigning Kuzmenko, Canucks should resign Burroughs and Schenn (our next captain) during FA.

I welcome any constructive criticism about these proposals.  Have at her gang!

• Thanks 1

• -DLC- changed the title to [Proposal] Who stays, who goes and who goes but comes back
25 minutes ago, nameci said:

I apologize for not listing my post as a proposal.  I don’t know how to go back and edit my post.

No worries, I did it for you. 

To help you with future edits....go to the 3 dots on the right hand side of your post, here:

321576279_848966809673987_78838633561658

Then click on it for the drop down menu with the edit feature:

321435640_507115591564746_64962772225137

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

I don't know if Demko would have enough recovered value (unless he's the next Vasi in the second half, and even then) to facilitate dumping OEL's salary.
Secondly, OP, seeing how your depth chart is structured, I don't see how you could reasonably justify bringing back Kuzmenko when all we have are wingers in top 9.  We'll be the Minnesota Wild, now lacking the depth up the middle to compete.
Schenn/ Burroughs/ Horvat/ Myers/ Garland/ Pearson I agree (though if Miller could go in place of Horvat I'd be happy).  If the scoring dearth is dire enough in NYI, I'd wish we would flip Brock to them, get a 2nd, then flip that 2nd say for Murphy or McCabe (both RD) from Chicago (when they move Kane, I'd bet those two would be available) to take the #1 RD spot.  

If possible I would ship out Pearson, Myers and Garland & Boeser to clear cap. If we could somehow move out OEL and his contract that would be a win. I like his game but not at that price point-same with Myers. Move Schenn for a 2nd.

Try and make one final attempt to re-sign Horvat at 7million over 8 years. Same money as JT.

Hard no to moving out Demko. He must have been playing hurt, playing through pain to start the year. Hopefully he comes back stronger after his time off but it is way too soon to give up on him.

If we cannot re-sign Bo I want to target a young C for our 3rd line C slot. Someone like Silinger from CLB or Drury from CAR. If we can also extract a good RD prospect that would fit the bill.

Next year's roster.

Mik Petey Kuz

Podz Miller Hogz

Studnicka Silinger Joshua

Lazar Aman Lockwood

Hughes Severson (UFA signing)

Dermott  Bear

Rathbone Burroughs

Stillman 7D

Demko

Martin

***The defense will need some serious work in the offseason. But if we move out Schenn, Myers and OEL we could hopefully have cap room to either trade for some or sign in free agency. Overall the team gets younger, faster. Maybe some prospects like Karslon and Klim surprise and make the team out of camp next year?

Could Schenn bring back another (younger) D? And if so, I wonder who that could be, what quality of Dman?

LD - Hughes, Ekman-Larsson, Stillman, Dermott, Rathbone

RD - Myers, Schenn, Bear, Burroughs, Juulsen, (Poolman)

I've heard there are some teams interested in Myers, but maybe the Canucks take a loss in a Myers trade (retaining salary, adding a sweetener, etc), because he makes $6 million?

I would actually say the LD is worse than the RD

2 hours ago, nameci said:

Who stays:

Mikheyev     Petterson       Kuzmenko

Miller            ?                    Hoglander

?                   ?                    Podkolzin

Hughes               ?

Martin

Who goes:

Myers at the trade deadline for picks/prospects.  Myers’ value as a trade chip will definitely increase after the five

million dollar payout

Demko and Ekman Larson packaged together for a bad expiring contract and picks/prospects

Horvat (love Horvat’s game, but we can’t afford another long term expensive contract.  For a windfall of talent

Who goes but comes back:

Aside from resigning Kuzmenko, Canucks should resign Burroughs and Schenn (our next captain) during FA.

Sounds great  but OEL will never get moved full NT?? Do we remember 3 yrs ago only teams he would go to is Boston or Vancouver? 

We had Coyotes in a great spot and should of got more return-- 

We trade 3 players X 3 million all expire after 1 season = 9 million -- give up 1st - 2nd rounder

Take back OEL 7.2 million X  7 yrs = 50.4 million -- add Garland  --

OEL 31-  if healthy # 3 D man still -- 4 more seasons left 

In a flat cap big contracts have to come back? 28 teams are all up against cap? Not east to do?

Example. - move Boeser 6.7 million-- players coming back will have big contracts..

This summer Myers will be easy to move last year bonus paid 5 million only 1 million for new team?

Free up 6 million with Myers July 2nd..

Pearson 31 - trade 3.2 million retain 1.4 million -- free 1.8 million might have to take player back?

Demko -27 - Petey 24-- Hughes 23  core 3 players ...

3 hours ago, nameci said:

Who stays:

Hughes               ?

Martin

Who goes:

million dollar payout

Who goes but comes back:

Nice work. I like how it doesn't yield to the "burn it to the ground and get rid of everybody" crowd. You have correctly identified who should continue here going forward. I have no idea how they will get rid of all that high priced dead weight, but again, good thinking.

5 hours ago, nameci said:

Who stays:

Hughes               ?

Martin

Who goes:

million dollar payout

Who goes but comes back:

I think I agree with you, on who stays, but disagree with you on OEL and Demko

I also know this is not popular, but with us, dropping for a proper rebuild.........(It would appear!) I am inclined to suggest a couple of retentions to maximize the return. I think that the following do not need retention.....Below that players with retention.

Horvat (TDL) $5,500,000 out

Schenn (TDL) $850,000 out

Garland (Before the draft) $4,950,000 out

Meyers (Mid-summer after Bonus is paid) $6,000,000 out

Boeser with retention ($1,650,000 retention X 2 year) (TDL)  $5,000,000 out

Pearson with retention ($1,625,000 retention X 1 year) (Before the Draft) $1,650,000 out

Total out: $23,950,000 Cap Savings

* Retention should only be short term....(2 or less years), and IMO, should only done to maximize the return.

First off, I am not sure we spend the whole amount first year. 3 reasons #1. is to make sure we hang around in the bottom 10 for that top RHD that will be there. #2 reason is so that we can make sure we have enough for Pettersson and Kuzmenko #3. We need 3 players in total............a 2nd line winger (Play Miller at Center), a top RHD, and a 3rd line center. Maybe they come via trade, maybe they come by UFA signings. But that is a 1 1/2 years from now, that we would be wrong to not do it in a proper order.

Sorry for such a long detailed reply, but you asked for thoughts..............

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think I agree with you, on who stays, but disagree with you on OEL and Demko

I also know this is not popular, but with us, dropping for a proper rebuild.........(It would appear!) I am inclined to suggest a couple of retentions to maximize the return. I think that the following do not need retention.....Below that players with retention.

Horvat (TDL) $5,500,000 out

Schenn (TDL) $850,000 out

Garland (Before the draft) $4,950,000 out

Meyers (Mid-summer after Bonus is paid) $6,000,000 out

Boeser with retention ($1,650,000 retention X 2 year) (TDL)  $5,000,000 out

Pearson with retention ($1,625,000 retention X 1 year) (Before the Draft) $1,650,000 out

Total out: $23,950,000 Cap Savings

* Retention should only be short term....(2 or less years), and IMO, should only done to maximize the return.

First off, I am not sure we spend the whole amount first year. 3 reasons #1. is to make sure we hang around in the bottom 10 for that top RHD that will be there. #2 reason is so that we can make sure we have enough for Pettersson and Kuzmenko #3. We need 3 players in total............a 2nd line winger (Play Miller at Center), a top RHD, and a 3rd line center. Maybe they come via trade, maybe they come by UFA signings. But that is a 1 1/2 years from now, that we would be wrong to not do it in a proper order.

Sorry for such a long detailed reply, but you asked for thoughts..............

Mostly agree.  

1.  Not rebuild, Rutherford has used the term "build" so I don't expect something that resembles selling off assets for futures unknown.  Hockey trades yes.

2. I like shifting that much cap and not spending it unless there is a winner to bring in.  As you say!

OEL is perfectly fine but over paid.  He is so not Player Name so I'm not getting bent out of shape over him even though his hit is inefficient.

Demko.  Is the OP crazy?  The minute a proven player has difficulties, Nux fans want to dump him.  Give your head a shake OP.  He'll get it together.  Had surgery in the off season.

Horvat.  Burns my ass that he insists at insisting on north of $8M (assuming).  I way prefer Bo over Miller even if he's a point a game winger vs Bo's 0.75 as a solid 2C.  Allvin's mistake signing Miller before Bo but I think we can all see the logic of what happened, I just think the priority is misplaced.

Boeser, meh ok.  I can get over it.  It was always his potential that I was in love with.  Can anybody say different?

Pearson.  Who?

Garland.  He's really a 3rd liner and is over paid.  Perimeter player.  Mason Raymond 2.0

Myers.  Do it!  But NOT without a replacement secured in the system first.  He's the Chaos Giraffe but he can log north of 20 mins on the right side and who else in the system  can do that?  Nobody else we have on the right side.  He's our 3rd best D.  Those who think Bear is, consider that Bear plays against lower rated players by and large.

• Cheers 1

Trading Demko would be a huge mistake for this team.  Giving up on him after his (stuggling) 15 games

would ensure that the Nucks will not be contenders for many,many years.  Martin has be playing ok, but he

nowhere near the quality of goalie that is Demko. Clarke is doing a tremendous job with Delia as well,

but neither have the talent to replace Demko.  The best Canuck goalie prospect (Aku Koskenvuo) has just

started his 1st year at Harvard.  It will be a long wait before he even becomes a backup.

Thatcher had offseason surgery on a 'lower body injury' which is likely hip, knee or groin.  It's easy to

see that he is still having difficulty with his lateral movement; which is a huge factor in any goalies game.

This would not only affect his physical game, but also his confidence and consistency.  Making lateral

movements may cause pain, which could create a pattern where the goalie starts anticipating the pain

before actually making the move.

I don't know if the recent injury is linked directly (or indirectly) to the surgery, but I sure hope he is fully

recovered before returning to the game.

• Vintage 1

On 12/24/2022 at 11:40 AM, Oregon.Duck said:

You’re missing arguably one of the most consistent players on here, Nils Åman. Dudes a stud bottom 6 center. 

Agree. 

Last year, I was liking Lamikko and Highmore as well and was disappointed to see them go but Allvin found Aman, Joshua, and Lazar who I like even better