The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller Interview on Delia Incident

Rate this topic

JamesB

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't agree, at all.

He owes no one an apology for wanting to win and, in the dying minutes of a game that's one goal away from being tied, reacting as such. With urgency. There's some pride to be salvaged with this team, who've become a bit of a laughing stock and "easy to play against", etc. I don't mind them showing a bit of fire and tenacity. Oh well, people are talking...it's not like they weren't already. It's a joke how things become such big, blown up "news". It's hockey, it's not a church service.

He doesn't do social media or any of this crap...really, not a bad decision when you see how things get twisted and stretched beyond anything reasonable. 

It's tiring...all this "stuff" that gets floated around out there when hockey is no longer the focus. Planes. Grocery shopping excursions...it's become very tabloid.

Yeah, it's a fair argument. Have to sympathize with players, being in this tabloid-fodder age. How the guys all feel in the room, IS the main importance.

Maybe they use all this as a galvanizing & collective surge into a brilliant 2nd half. That's what I'll hope for.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Zerofaith said:

Would be nice if miller wanted to win so badly he show up the other 59mins of the game 

Well he's doing his part...he puts up nearly a point per game and is one of the few guys who'll lay out hits. Sure, he has his moments but he usually makes up for them.

Ye of zero faith.

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Our goaltending and defense haven't been stellar (either)...his job is to score. He's done fairly well at that. But I'm too tired to point out things people should know/keep in context. 

8mill guaranteed contract to “just” score.

Clearly we have different levels of expectations for what’s considered acceptable performance. 

your  bar is set pretty low it appears. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I think there’s a misconception that Messier was the reason Linden got traded/ran him out of town. When really it was Keenan who orchestrated Linden’s demise in Vancouver. Keenan was the guy who asked Linden to give the captaincy to Messier and Linden agreed to. Messier revealed later on in a Reddit AMA, that the only regret in his hockey career was accepting the captaincy from Linden. 

I think most of the Messier hate was because he came from the Rangers, a rival at the time and he was being paid a lot, who did very little. He was the 2nd highest paid player in the entire league at the time, and did absolutely nothing but coast during his time here. 

Just to clarify one point, the captaincy was handed over to Messup before Keenan got here not that it matters.

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I have said in the Miller thread how disgusting this behaviour is - doesn't matter if Delia is in the right or wrong, you don't behave like that to younger players coming up from the farm into a new team - especially after they stand on their head to keep you in the game. How does it make kids feel coming up, like Lockwood who's just been called up? Do you think he feels comfortable coming in, knowing he might have a big scary angry Miller bark at him if he makes a mistake?

Dreadful leadership, some might say it's "passion" and playing with "heart", but it's just anger getting the best of him and weak composure like an abusive parent. Meanwhile look at Bo and Petey - they don't scream at their team-mates if they make mistakes, they lead by example. Petey single-handedly wins the game against Seattle, pumps up the crowd after he ties the game - great positive re-enforcement for the whole team and fan base, then goes on to score the shootout winner. Bo takes on McDavid head-to-head and whoops him, scores a couple and wins the game, leads by example. Look at Schenn - the guy doesn't score big goals but throws his body, protects his team-mates and is a leader every where you see him. He would never do something like this, in fact not many players in the NHL would.

I don't remember the last time JT Miller was in the head-lines for something good he's done. Last year when he was scoring 2 points per game he was a machine and could do no wrong, but that was about a year ago. He was in the headlines at the start of this year for his sloppy defensive play, then he couldn't play center anymore, now he seems to really be riding the coat-tails of Horvat and not really driving the play himself. He is 87th if points-per-game in the league right now but ranked 34th when it comes to forward's cap hits (or 50th amongst all players including D and goalies). There's a big gulf there. 

Well we’ve got him here for a while so he’s got plenty of time to redeem himself. 

Edited by Zerofaith

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Well he's doing his part...he puts up nearly a point per game and is one of the few guys who'll lay out hits. Sure, he has his moments but he usually makes up for them.

Ye of zero faith.

i dunno about doing his part.. he's been invisible the entire month except for a handful of games... his effort level this month have been lackluster

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Like I don’t care about this at all. I only care about the guys in the room and my coaches and my teammates. It’s all I care about, and I didn’t even know it was a thing until today.”

Well I think he states it clearly here, that he cares about the room and his team mates...

In fact its all he cares about. 

Delia is part of both, so just because he doesn't stand in the street with a 'shame on you' sign around his neck, doesn't mean its not all good. 

There may be divided opinions about the incident and the severity of it, but to me at least, he said the right thing. 

if management think there is anything to deal with, I'm sure they have already...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Whacking the net with the twig was a bit much..it reeks of lost composure. You unnecessarily give away ammo to the hyperactive journos(always circling Cdn waters for a scent of blood). They love ramping up these petty little issues, making their employment more useful/important(at least in their own estimations).

You also hand freebie material to opponents, for on-ice, trolling commentary. I don't imagine leaders like EP or BH throwing hissy fits in the panoptican, all-seeing - 24/7 world of today.

JTM shouldn't double down here. He oughta apologize to the teammate & quietly play it down in public. Last yr he displayed a lot of talent. Now we're again seeing a side that's perhaps exposing why TBay punted when they did.

Exactly. Humiliating your fellow teammate on home ice contains it ….somewhat. Doing it in another Canadian market is another thing. Thank god it wasn’t toronto. There’s a pattern starting  and he needs to grow out of no matter who he’s playing for or where he plays at home or on the road. 

• Vintage 2

Naslund and Bertuzzi were absolute critical a-holes to each other. 
Jonathen Toews is notoriously prickly.

‘Nathan MacKinnon is a controlling jerk to his teammates. 
‘Michael Jordan was notoriously cranky with teammates. 

Fans need stuff to talk about when they have a middling team that is going nowhere. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1