The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

A couple of things I am noticing, I am not on the trade Miller at all costs but if someone is willing to overpay for him, you take it. Also, we are not here to please any certain player(Sedin,Petey) , we should be doing whatever is best for the TEAM. 

The other thing I noticed is that we are not preparing to vie for the Cup next year so why are we only taking players instead of picks, we can use the picks for players at a later date.

I thought I knew what this group was doing but it is getting a little "muddy" the last little bit.

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why not?  We have holes we need to fill regardless but don’t have any cap space to do it.

This offseason is an ideal time to fill holes for cheap.  All these teams going for it and loading up are going to be having buyers remorse when most of them are punted in the first couple rounds of the playoffs.  They and other teams will be in cap hell needing to offload players and money.

We could get Marino/Bjorkstrand players for next to nothing.  We can can RFAs who teams can’t afford to qualify for next to nothing.  We can get bandaid UFAs who can’t get full value because there just aren’t enough dollars in the system.

Same logic with Hronek.  No need to do it now at all.  Wait until the offseason and see what shakes loose from other teams.

The guys that went for cheap aren't centers. Good top 6 centers don't go for cheap, they rarely move at all, and are not affordable in free agency. JT's contract is a hometown discount compared to what guys like him, Larkin & Horvat would've been offered as a UFA.

Hronek is 25 playing at a top pair level. If its available at a palatable price why not just do it rather than potentially let other teams in the mix? He's a better option than what else is available. What difference does doing it now versus doing it in the summer make if you are getting a piece you've needed for years?

People love the mystery box in this market. But I guess the box could be anything! Even a 25 y/o top 3 RHD or PPG C!

For those of us who don't want to wait 3 years for a rebuild and are content to just going to games for fun the managment team is doing a great job. Draft picks are great for "tankers" but luckily managment is more on the casual fan side it seems with acquiring ready to go players. Vancouver fans don't have a stomach for a rebuild we want entertainment.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I get the logic though that's the thing.

if Benning's trades had hit we'd not be having this conversation.  if Kuzmenko was Vanek like.  We'd be furiously trying to move him.  if Clendenning had hit on his stats, we'd have loved it.  If we'd have not traded McCann for Gudbranson where would we be?

if if if

I absolutely get the idea behind what management is doing.  I just don't understand their need to do it during the worst possible time to trade for players (Hronek) or how people are pretending this isn't exactly what has been done for a decade.

Yeah I still think it would have taken a lot more than hitting on few long shots they screwed this team off the ice with the poor cap management and this group is just continuing on. 

had they committed  to building a team ten years ago wed have prospects cap and depth.
Would we be better in the standings who knows but we’d be in a far better position to get better and actually build a team to compete. 
Nothings changed two players wins you nothing ask the oilers what two players gets you.

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The core pieces in place after the twins left and during their last year in 2019 (one could argue many of them were there in 2018)

Horvat

Hughes

Petersson

Miller

Myers

Demko

Boeser

A 1a, 2a centre, a top line c/w hybrid.  A 1b point producing defenceman.  a top 4 rhd, a starting goaltender.  a top 6 winger.  That's a core.  At this point, Horvat is gone.  That's it.  4+ years of the same core pieces.

So if you'd like, when I get home I can absolutely start building a trading timeline around benning starting with the Kesler trade, his statements and preface them with what management here has said and done.

No need for Kesler PTSD. That situation was botched hard. Should have played hardball, forced him to expand no trade list to 8 teams, and taken best pick package available.

3 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

For those of us who don't want to wait 3 years for a rebuild and are content to just going to games for fun the managment team is doing a great job. Draft picks are great for "tankers" but luckily managment is more on the casual fan side it seems with acquiring ready to go players. Vancouver fans don't have a stomach for a rebuild we want entertainment.

Not true at all.  Full rebuild if we get rid of Petey and Hughes.  That's not happening.

Edited by Metal Face Doom

5 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Sure we do, we've followed the team the past ten seasons of what's largely been mediocrity. 

Doesn't look like it'll happen this time but the concept of us somehow now being able to handle a rebuild when an even more rabid market in Montreal can is a load of crap.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

3/7 are gone or not long for here. Is 40% insignificant?

And just b/c good players weren't surrounded well in the past (both personnel & how they play) doesn't mean they can't be in the future.

How do you define a core?

How do you define a core?

? I responding to the the names you provided?

I don't know, the pillars are Pettersson/Hughes/Demko/Miller. Ala Henrik/Daniel/Kesler/Luongo. But Hronek is now apart, Podkolzin could be apart, Kuzmenko to some extent, whoever we draft high will likely be. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

? I responding to the the names you provided?

I don't know, the pillars are Pettersson/Hughes/Demko/Miller. Ala Henrik/Daniel/Kesler/Luongo. But Hronek is now apart, Podkolzin could be apart, Kuzmenko to some extent, whoever we draft high will likely be. 

In the same fashion we could say that the core was also evolving and changing during the 2015-2018 years.

Look I have zero issue with trying to improve a hockey team, I do have questions and issues with pretending as though the draft doesn't matter or that somehow doing the same thing as previous management is somehow better or different.

13 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Aquilooni is that you?

Some fans have your opinion, but I believe most fans want to see a Stanley Cup contender. Plus, as a fan it is entertaining to see players like Bedard or Fantili playing (If they tank had been done right), even if for the first year or two the canucks are losing.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

Rumour was Van wanted a Centre back in the Pitts deal yesterday . Maybe Pittsburgh acquiring Granlund was part of the process to then flip to Van plus a first for Miller. Everyone in Pittsburgh was baffled by the Granlund acquisition 

to Van

2023 1st

Granlund

cap dump Vancouver is looking to get rid of 

to Pitt

JT Miller

In the same fashion we could say that the core was also evolving and changing during the 2015-2018 years.

Look I have zero issue with trying to improve a hockey team, I do have questions and issues with pretending as though the draft doesn't matter or that somehow doing the same thing as previous management is somehow better or different.

The core did change drastically in that time, but there wasn't really any meaningful (positive) change to the backend over Benning's tenure though. Hughes is the 1 guy but nothing else that amounted to much until the OEL trade - which isnt looking great. Hronek is a big step in the right direction. 

I don't think anyone is pretending the draft doesn't matter. I also don't agree its entirely the same. The team is in a different position now, Benning was foolishly making win-now/fast tracking moves before there was even an established core of young players to build around. And to get specific I really don't think Benning would've traded Horvat, he would've signed him to that contract.

40 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Literally the entire fanbase has been screaming for one, including the beat writers and journalists for the team lol. You are literally in the fringe minority if you didn't want a proper rebuild.

Re-tooling on the fly has been the exact opposite of entertaining for the last decade........if you haven't noticed?

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

Honestly can't see them trading JT as that would mean they have no proven center depth after petey. 

The Hronek deal has set the timeline for the retool to be completed by next year and this really kills that as we're not getting a C as good as JT back without giving up big time. 

If we win the lottery however, that's a different story.