The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

25 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

No Jesperi Kotkaniemi 

He injured petey!

Whether he did it on purpose or not, his actions still ended up in Petey being injured.

he's hot garbage on august day in carolina, gross contract until 29/30, 4.8 aav for 7g 10a.

Gonna have to take a bad contract to trade Miller, no other way around it.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That would have been a solid return for Horvat +/- but I doubt we'd get that for Miller.

Kotkaniemi, one of Seeley/Nikishin and a pick maybe...

That said, I doubt CAR would be in on Miller. Not their style. Happy to be wrong though.

Very well could?  Their Aho had some fans talking Selke for him, so Miller could be the offensive top-6 C while Seabass takes the tough matchups.

While I was against keeping Horvat til the trade deadline for fear of a trade because he was a pending UFA, I think Miller's contract is a bit protective.
He signed a pretty team friendly contract for someone who almost got 100 points. If we get a good offer, we can trade him, if not, we don't need to rush it.
We don't have to worry about an injury like we did with Horvat. Once some dominos fall, we could get a lot for Miller.
If he gets injured, we'll still have him when he recovers. He's not a lost asset.
I like Miller though. Would be okay with it if he stays. But if we enter a full rebuild I wouldn't be against that either.

Edited by Nave
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Nave said:

While I was against keeping Horvat til the trade deadline for fear of a trade because he was a pending UFA, I think Miller's contract is a bit protective.
He signed a pretty team friendly contract for someone who almost got 100 points. If we get a good offer, we can trade him, if not, we don't need to rush it.
We don't have to worry about an injury like we did with Horvat. Once some dominos fall, we could get a lot for Miller.
If he gets injured, we'll still have him when he recovers. He's not a lost asset.
I like Miller though. Would be okay with it if he stays. But if we enter a full rebuild I wouldn't be against that either.

The team can't drag their feet on a Miller trade, his NMC kicks in in September when his new contract becomes valid.

Miller has to go IMHO. He is a "live wire" a powder keg with a short fuse not the kind of guy you want in the room with young players. Sometimes it looks like he is barely holding it together.

Moving Miller is not a rebuild.

Just now, ToTellTheTruth said:

The team can't drag their feet on a Miller trade, his NMC kicks in in September when his new contract becomes valid.

Miller has to go IMHO. He is a "live wire" a powder keg with a short fuse not the kind of guy you want in the room with young players. Sometimes it looks like he is barely holding it together.

Moving Miller is not a rebuild.

Trading both Horvat and Miller, including some other trades still to come, is a rebuild.

37 minutes ago, Nave said:

Trading both Horvat and Miller, including some other trades still to come, is a rebuild.

No, it is a build around Pettersson, Hughes and the kids in Abbotsford plus what they get in trades. Miller as a winger isn't a cornerstone. Just a prop for a few years.

Rutherford said two years, I don't think this one counts so two more years of TDL's and drafts AFTER this year.

They are not done yet

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

sure, I'm ok with that as the canucks benefit from taking cap for the short term. OEL will still be here in 4 years time. :blink:

I'm not okay with Petey probably leaving because of it + Miller for whatever Carolina could throw at the Canucks in a trade that has Kotkaniemi joining the team. 

People are complaining about Garlands lack of production, his contract and offensive struggles maybe should compare Kotkaniemi to him.

22 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

No, it is a build around Pettersson, Hughes and the kids in Abbotsford plus what they get in trades. Miller as a winger isn't a cornerstone. Just a prop for a few years.

Rutherford said two years, I don't think this one counts so two more years of TDL's and drafts AFTER this year.

They are not done yet

Maybe it's not a "total rebuild," but it's a "rebuild." I'm using quotation marks because it's just semantics in the end. Having Pettersson and Hughes as the only untouchables sounds pretty drastic to me.

I'm just saying we should wait until the Timo Meier domino falls before we trade Miller. We'd have a potential bidding war for his services after that.

We should get something on par with the Horvat trade for Miller. Horvat's having a better season, but he's potentially a rental; Miller has been a PPG with the Canucks, and he's already under contract.

• Like 1

After acquiring and targeting Raty so hard, looks like we want to get a lot younger. Management's idea of a retool may be our idea of a rebuild in essence. Miller is pretty much 30 now and his contract really doesn't fit the bill. It would have if we were winning but we're not.

Not sure who can afford him though, maybe teams who lost out on Bo? 

Detroit/Boston/NJD? Doubt any of these teams qre stupid enough though the way Lou was.

Throw in Schenn and that's a great package, wonder if we can get a cap dump back and a 1st or 2nd?

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

After acquiring and targeting Raty so hard, looks like we want to get a lot younger. Management's idea of a retool may be our idea of a rebuild in essence. Miller is pretty much 30 now and his contract really doesn't fit the bill. It would have if we were winning but we're not.

Not sure who can afford him though, maybe teams who lost out on Bo? 

Detroit/Boston/NJD? Doubt any of these teams qre stupid enough though the way Lou was.

Throw in Schenn and that's a great package, wonder if we can get a cap dump back and a 1st or 2nd?

I suspect that some of the teams out East will probably want to bolster their rosters to compete with some of the other teams, but it really depends on which teams out east are making moves, and what they're willing to give up for an offensive player like Miller. 

If there's more losing in the coming years, I'm not sure if Miller can hold it together, or whether he'll implode. 

I can also see Raty getting a few games here and there before the season ends to give him a taste of the NHL. 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I suspect that some of the teams out East will probably want to bolster their rosters to compete with some of the other teams, but it really depends on which teams out east are making moves, and what they're willing to give up for an offensive player like Miller. 

If there's more losing in the coming years, I'm not sure if Miller can hold it together, or whether he'll implode. 

I can also see Raty getting a few games here and there before the season ends to give him a taste of the NHL. 

When you look at teams who need help up front, it's really NYR, Detroit, Carolina, Minnesota, the Avs and the Preds. NJD don't really need him, although they seem interested in Boeser, and they certainly won't have 8M in cap next year so think they're out.

NYR have a lot of kids they need to re-sign and don't really have a cap dump they can send us back.

Detroit have a bucket of cap space and lots of cap coming off the books but have to re-sign Larin who is probably going to get 8-9M. I doubt Miller's sloppy defence is what Yzerman would want but cap-wise they're one of the few teams that would work. I wonder if we could get away with Miller for Puis Suter/Sundqvist and a 2nd round pick? No way Stevie Y parts with a first rounder this year.

Carolina are interesting, they have around 7-8M in old players coming off the books this year and Miller would complement their young centers nicely. Wonder if there's a Miller-for-KK trade out there, I'd do it 1-for-1 even. Heck, I'd do Miller for Staal + 1st or 2nd in a heart-beat and let him walk next year but doubt they trade their captain. They'd be a much better team for it though with an instant 70pt player.

Minnesota are interesting, they really need a top-6 scorer. They have Boldy's 6M extension kicking in next year but likely will let Dumba's 6M walk. I'd do Miller for Dumba plus a pick (1st or 2nd? Probably again only get a 2nd). They have just about enough to fit Miller's extension in, and they'll need someone to replace Zuccarello who's playing well out of his contract and age bracket soon.

The Avs are a mess with their cap. McKinnon gets a 6M raise next year. They have about 16M coming off the books but will have to sign a lot of players. I wonder if we can do a Miller for Erik Johnson swap and they throw us a 1st or 2nd for the cap dump. They'll be right up against the cap next year so will just have to sign a bunch of cheap <1M guys to their bottom-6, but Miller would look real good at 2C there and give them what they've missed since Kadri left.

Nashville don't really have a cap dump for us or the cap space for 8M next year, with so many big ticket forwards already. 

So there you have it, I think Carolina, Colorado and Minnesota are most likely. There are only a few teams there who have cap dumps who could come back to us, you'd like to get a 1st out of them but I think they'll be really hard to pry off teams. Colorado should take a swing at Miller and give us Johnson and a 1st for him. Obviously we let these cap dumps walk in the off-season, take the 20-32nd overall pick and sign a UFA defenceman in the off-season and a cheaper center.

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Very well could?  Their Aho had some fans talking Selke for him, so Miller could be the offensive top-6 C while Seabass takes the tough matchups.

He fits the team as a player, certainly. But they generally follow pretty strict aging curves and don't tend to add much at TDL's. Not their style.

I'd be happily surprised if they broke either of those trends.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don't understand that. 

Teams wanted Horvat but wanted to speak to him about negotiations. 

I feel that had Miller not signed his contract, teams would also want to speak to him and then sign something like an 8x7 after making the trade... 

The signed part is already done

Why would he lose value for that? 

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't understand that. 

Teams wanted Horvat but wanted to speak to him about negotiations. 

I feel that had Miller not signed his contract, teams would also want to speak to him and then sign something like an 8x7 after making the trade... 

The signed part is already done

Why would he lose value for that? 

Depends on the team. Some might view it as value added and cost certainty. Others might view it as unwanted future cap allocation.

Could have positive value to some teams, negative for others.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depends on the team. Some might view it as value added and cost certainty. Others might view it as unwanted future cap allocation.

Could have positive value to some teams, negative for others.

Honestly trade him to Colombus lol

That would be doing Millsy dirty though. 

I really like him but he just doesn't fit the timeline with the way things are going. 

Best bet is to retool around Petey and Hughes. 

Even Demko is going to be old by the time they start winning

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Honestly trade him to Colombus lol

That would be doing Millsy dirty though. 

I really like him but he just doesn't fit the timeline with the way things are going. 

Best bet is to retool around Petey and Hughes. 

Even Demko is going to be old by the time they start winning

ID be so happy if we pulled a Miller trade to Columbus or Boston and got something decent back.

Miller and Schenn for Carlo and Lysell would make me pretty happy.

Miller to Columbus for Ceulemans and a Pick would make me so happy

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

ID be so happy if we pulled a Miller trade to Columbus or Boston and got something decent back.

Miller and Schenn for Carlo and Lysell would make me pretty happy.

Miller to Columbus for Ceulemans and a Pick would make me so happy

Yeah Miller is from Ohio. Columbus has trouble attracting talent so having a good cost controlled player is a huge win

Theyll now have another star to play with Johnny. 

It seems to make sense. 

• Cheers 2