The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Conor Garland buyout this Summer?

And now...let's return to the original discussion.

This is not the time to trade Conor.  He's had a down season so far, so the management should wait

and see if he improves his game with Tocchet driving the bus.

Besides, right now the focus is on helping Brock along.  His trade is of far more importance; Garland

can be traded during the offseason if need be.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Id like to see a Garland traded to help for a Cup run with prospect Aiden Mcdonough to the NJD for prospects  Nolan Foote and Shakir Mukhamadulin 

I think Foote is overrated, but Mukhamadulin is going to be a beast.  At 21yrs, he is already the top dman on his

KHL team.  If Canucks could land Muk for Garland and McDonough I would be overjoyed, but I don't know that

NJD let go of him that easily.  Might have to add something to make it happen.  Muk would be a significant

replacement for OEL.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:43 AM, Gurn said:

The selectivity some religious people use, when some topics come up.

Won't wear jersey cause -reasons of religion.

cool- wonder if

the dude even attends a church?

Has ever made a statement deploring violence and war in the world

Helped out at a food bank

Also won't wear mixed fabrics- on penalty of death.

on and on

and on go; the religious edicts/rules/laws yet we only hear about this guy's religious beliefs when it comes to gay folk.

Very very selective on Provorov's part- eh what?

Sorry but your saying because he doesn’t push his stuff on others or make it public he doesn’t do those things, this was something that became public because it couldn’t be avoided it was a conflict because the nhl made it one . Ask yourself what are the odds anyone would have noticed if he wasn’t out there and no one said anything, he’s allowed to believe what he wants and not be forced to support things he doesn’t believe in , it doesn’t make him a bad person. The fact he just declined to do it and not force the issue proves that , most people who believe in things don’t force others to but it doesn’t mean they aren’t true to themselves. I have no problem with anyone being their true selves but don’t dictate what others have to do or believe. 

• There it is 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Buy out Garland and OEL.  Saves us 10 million on the cap next season. Trade Myers.  Now we’re at 16 million. 

Makes more sense to retain the amount a buyout would hit our cap on a trade. Garland and 4.95 mill might not have much value to another team, but Garland at just over 3 mill definitely would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Makes more sense to retain the amount a buyout would hit our cap on a trade. Garland and 4.95 mill might not have much value to another team, but Garland at just over 3 mill definitely would. 

Yeah, a buyout makes more sense as a last resort, and I don’t see us there with Garland. He’s just reunited with a coach he’s been really successful with. Let’s see how he does for the rest of the season.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I might be in the minority but I like Garland a lot. I don’t know if right now he’s playing up to his contract or skill level but he plays every shift hard and has a high compete level. Kind of like Jannik Hansen with more offensive talent. I’d live if we traded him but it would be a horrendous decision to buy him out. He’s too talented to be a cap casualty like that. I personally wouldn’t mind keeping him around though if we can. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I might be in the minority but I like Garland a lot. I don’t know if right now he’s playing up to his contract or skill level but he plays every shift hard and has a high compete level. Kind of like Jannik Hansen with more offensive talent. I’d live if we traded him but it would be a horrendous decision to buy him out. He’s too talented to be a cap casualty like that. I personally wouldn’t mind keeping him around though if we can. 

I like Garland a lot as well.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:22 PM, DeNiro said:

Someone who doesn’t accept another persons freedom to choose who they want to be with is hateful. No other way to spin it.

Where does it say in his religion to not accept gay people. I’ll wait.

Ha, this reminds me of a Jim Jefferies clip on drunk God at a party....

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

19 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I don't know if Gar and Janny are comparables regarding offensive talent, but Jannik does have a few more inches of height and a sub par 200 pounder. However, I do agree. It's better to trade him rather than buy him out.

There's lotsa' time to do whatever with Gar. For now, we ride him under our new coach  (former coach to Gar.) and staff, and see where it takes him. I'm totally down with trading him. But if he thrives under Toch, then he'll look that much better as trade bait. No buyout, thanks!

6 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

No buyout please.  Surely we can get some assets for him.  Better to retain salary than buyout, no?

Yes.  Whoever came out with this rumour is stupid.

Buying out Garland is a 6 year dead cap hit!

2023-24 - 839k

2024-25 - 839k

2025-26 - 1.8m

2026-27 - 1.9m

2027-28 - 1.9m

2028-29 - 1.9m

Why the ____ would the Canucks do that?

You  could retain $1.25M on his $4.95M cap hit to make him a $3.7M cap player.  He would DEFINITELY bring assets back at that price.

Not only that, you'd only have dead cap for 3 years instead of 6:

2023-24 - $1.25

2024-25 - $1.25

2025-26 - $1.25

So this whole thread is pointless. 

If the Canucks did buyout Garland, their cap strategist needs to be fired on the spot.

EDIT:  You know who should and could be bought it?  Riley "Tank Commander" Stillman.

Dead Cap:

2023-24 - 225k

2024-25 - 225k

Saves over $1M in cap per season.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes.  Whoever came out with this rumour is stupid.

Buying out Garland is a 6 year dead cap hit!

2023-24 - 839k

2024-25 - 839k

2025-26 - 1.8m

2026-27 - 1.9m

2027-28 - 1.9m

2028-29 - 1.9m

Why the ____ would the Canucks do that?

You  could retain $1.25M on his $4.95M cap hit to make him a $3.7M cap player.  He would DEFINITELY bring assets back at that price.

Not only that, you'd only have dead cap for 3 years instead of 6:

2023-24 - $1.25

2024-25 - $1.25

2025-26 - $1.25

So this whole thread is pointless. 

If the Canucks did buyout Garland, their cap strategist needs to be fired on the spot.

EDIT:  You know who should and could be bought it?  Riley "Tank Commander" Stillman.

Dead Cap:

2023-24 - 225k

2024-25 - 225k

Saves over $1M in cap per season.

Why would you do that? Stillman's contract ends in 2024, cap relief for 23/24 is $1,150,000 so his hit would be $200k for one season and we'd have an AHL player.

Edited by Biff Tannen
(but yes, this thread is pointless)

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why would you do that? Stillman's contract ends in 2024, cap relief for 23/24 is $1,150,000 so his hit would be $200k for one season and we'd have an AHL player.

Because it still 'saves' $1.125M for 2023-24 with a net loss in 2024-25 of $225k.

Opens up a spot for a guy like Rathbone.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Because it still 'saves' $1.125M for 2023-24 with a net loss in 2024-25 of $225k.

Opens up a spot for a guy like Rathbone.

Sending him to the AHL saves $1.15m next season and costs nothing the year after. Unless you're worried about Aquillini's bank balance, what's the point in a buyout? I suppose it opens up a contract spot, but they have three available now. I'd try and trade him for future considerations once he's in the minors before a buyout if need be.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sending him to the AHL saves $1.15m next season and costs nothing the year after. Unless you're worried about Aquillini's bank balance, what's the point in a buyout? I suppose it opens up a contract spot, but they have three available now. I'd try and trade him for future considerations once he's in the minors before a buyout if need be.

I don't know what Stillman's value is worth.  It feels like nobody would even want him for free, but who knows.  Contract spots could possibly be an issue this offseason if they do plan on bringing in more youth and prospects.