The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 12, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Also if Bo gets traded, Im calling NYR to inquire about Chytil.  Theyve got some contracts to sign and I could see him being squeezed out.  VAN could use the C depth with some upside

I would hope for a guy like Othmann. We need some grit and pride and some physicality. 

We have high end talent in Petey and Hughes. We need to surround them with good strong players that create space for them.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Something new and yet something old. :rolleyes:

I had happily forgotten he exists 

44 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I put this under the rumours / trades section for Schenn as well. This, if true, is shocking….

73B26789-580B-4BCC-899C-1CD5F6CF2270.jpeg

Even at 50% retained they wouldn't get that imo and that'll likely be what a team would need them to retain to make a trade work

He's got a huge cap hit and anyone who fancies themselves a contender doesn't have space for it 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I would hope for a guy like Othmann. We need some grit and pride and some physicality. 

We have high end talent in Petey and Hughes. We need to surround them with good strong players that create space for them.

Yeah but hes another winger and someone NYR can hang onto due to his ELC.  Chytil might get squeezed out due to Miller and Lafreniere (Kakko the year after) as well as Chytill all needing new deals.

I do agree Canucks need some 2 way players with grit who can drive play.  Have to hope Hoagie/Podz keep developing.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So someone shows "leadership" and retaliates against Sergachev, gets a penalty and takes any chance of completing the comeback away 

That's leadership?

That's complete garbage leadership imo. Any hockey player worth his salt knows what the right move in hindsight is. That's not losing your cool to get a punch into someone's face and feel like a tough guy while you single-handedly blew the chance for a comeback. Not a guy I would want on the ice when it counts. You need to cool. Are there that many NHLers out there that care more about scrapping then winning?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And they did that already.  Tearing down at this point means starting over and waiting another 7 years to get to the same place they're at right now, the same place all rebuilding teams get to 

So you would rather just fail with this exact group and keep Pearson, Myers, OEL, and Garland and then do that in 7 years anyway? I think you are super caught up on terminology here. When people say tear down they don't mean scorched earth ... they mean do something meaningful ... anything. Petey, and Hughes get kept in both approaches I think you are talking about the same thing essentially.

Whoop tee do

Sergachev fined $5,000 for actions in Lightning game
Defenseman penalized maximum for roughing against Canucks forward Garland
by NHL Public Relations @PR_NHL

NEW YORK - - Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Mikhail Sergachev has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for roughing Vancouver Canucks forward Conor Garland during NHL Game No. 667 in Tampa on Thursday, Jan. 12, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 19:19 of the third period. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Yup

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Ok we see differently there. 

In no way shape or form do I think the refs would watch a player sucker punch another in the face, decide to not call it and then see that player wrestled down and end up giving that team a PP. 

Will not happen. That would really bring their ineptitude to the forefront. A no call vs an egregious call... 

Definitely could have gone either way depending on how Bo reacts but @stawns is 100% correct you have to worry about Bo getting called for a non solicited punch and an extra 2 after the non-call. Erring on the side of caution. It seems logical he was trying to think about the team and win the game, not be a bad teammate like you say, but to each their own.

Hopefully he'll be traded he's a good hockey player who puts in an honest effort to the best of his ability. Doesn't really deserve this type of scrutiny imo he's played his heart out and put in 100% for this club.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And they did that already.  Tearing down at this point means starting over and waiting another 7 years to get to the same place they're at right now, the same place all rebuilding teams get to 

I think its basically semantics- its not really possible to do a full teardown given that we have some good pieces, and we are locked in on some contracts that are probably immovable. We do have 1-2 valuable pieces that can help bolster this core by trading for picks, prospects, and will open up some cap space.  2023 draft is extremely deep, and we have some good pieces we can build around.

Build around Petey, Hughes, Demko, keep players that maintained performance and attitude through the bad times (mikheyev, kuzmenko, bear)

We've got some young guys in the AHL that may be ready for a middle-6 role soon too - podkolzin, hoglander, and surprisingly - klimovich. Young guys that can give us value on ELCs. 

I don't think Miller is going anywhere, nor is OEL. 

So what changes can/should be made?

1. Move Bo for a 2023 1st, a high value center or RD prospect, and a couple other garnishes to get it done

2. Let Myers expire and walk, or bring him back as a 3RD for 2 million if he wants to come back

3. Pearson goes on permanent LTIR with his hand, or buyout if not

4. Trade Garland for something if you can - hes looking better, maybe he can recover some value

5. Move Boeser for whatever we can get

Then use cap space, UFA, and extra picks to build a proper shutdown 3rd line and pick up a stay at home partner for hughes. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sergachev is paid $4,800,000 this season and gets bumped to $8,500,000 for 8 years after that.

82 games in reg season  = $58,536.58 per game.

dude loses 8.54% of 1 game's income.

Edit to add- this would be the equivalent of me paying an $18.68 fine for slamming a  co worker in the head.

Edited by Gurn
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Sergachev is paid $4,800,000 this season and gets bumped to $8,500,000 for 8 years after that.

82 games in reg season  = $58,536.58 per game.

dude loses 8.54% of 1 game's income.

i dont know if hes ever going to financially recover from this

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Brother that was a light stick tap on the goalie after the play. It didn’t compare to the haymaker punch in the face afterwards!

Correct call in an alternative universe:

Garland: 23 seconds for a little dig after the play

Sergachev: 1:37 for an uncontested scrum punch

Penalties are all or nothing here though. ;)

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I think its basically semantics- its not really possible to do a full teardown given that we have some good pieces, and we are locked in on some contracts that are probably immovable. We do have 1-2 valuable pieces that can help bolster this core by trading for picks, prospects, and will open up some cap space.  2023 draft is extremely deep, and we have some good pieces we can build around.

Build around Petey, Hughes, Demko, keep players that maintained performance and attitude through the bad times (mikheyev, kuzmenko, bear)

We've got some young guys in the AHL that may be ready for a middle-6 role soon too - podkolzin, hoglander, and surprisingly - klimovich. Young guys that can give us value on ELCs. 

1. Move Bo for a 2023 1st, a high value center or RD prospect, and a couple other garnishes to get it done

2. Let Myers expire and walk, or bring him back as a 3RD for 2 million if he wants to come back

4. Trade Garland for something if you can - hes looking better, maybe he can recover some value

Then use cap space, UFA, and extra picks to build a proper shutdown 3rd line and pick up a stay at home partner for hughes. 

This was perfect until the end. If we keep trying to fix our problems with UFAs we will keep repeating our mistakes. Weaponize the cap space for useful pieces, get pics and prospects for it to take contracts that end soon or on deals like Anaheim did with Klinberg with every intention to trade. This is a tear down and we need to stockpile youth and pics. 
Unfortunately I expect if management can do what you list the intent is fully to do what you said with UFAs and Benninging this thing up even more

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

They've already done that once and to start over is 7ish more years just to get back to this spot with a different group.  This spot they're is a step in the rebuilding process......... all teams face it and good managers get them past it.  We'll see if they have good managers or not in the next 6 months.  So far, I'm not filled with confidence

52 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Definitely could have gone either way depending on how Bo reacts but @stawns is 100% correct you have to worry about Bo getting called for a non solicited punch and an extra 2 after the non-call. Erring on the side of caution. It seems logical he was trying to think about the team and win the game, not be a bad teammate like you say, but to each their own.

Hopefully he'll be traded he's a good hockey player who puts in an honest effort to the best of his ability. Doesn't really deserve this type of securitization imo he's played his heart out and put in 100% for this club.

Discipline is a characteristic of leadership and it takes discipline to know where you are in a game and whether or not you can take that risk.  They've got themselves back in the game and they're on the pp..........a good leader sees that and doesn't pop sergachev and get an extra 2 which takes his team off the pp.

There's a time and place for a response and that was neither the time nor the place for it

41 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

This was perfect until the end. If we keep trying to fix our problems with UFAs we will keep repeating our mistakes. Weaponize the cap space for useful pieces, get pics and prospects for it to take contracts that end soon or on deals like Anaheim did with Klinberg with every intention to trade. This is a tear down and we need to stockpile youth and pics. 
Unfortunately I expect if management can do what you list the intent is fully to do what you said with UFAs and Benninging this thing up even more

Ufas are an important part of every team

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

UFA is a great place to pick up talent if done correctly, which we, unfortunately, have not done

But look at what other teams have picked up in UFA over recent history:

- Tanev - top-4 RHD 

- Toffoli - 30 goal scorer
- Hampus Lindholm - top pairing defenseman on most teams

- Kadri

We on the other hand have generally opted for the likes of Myers, Eriksson, and Poolman

Hopefully without Benning at the helm, we can approach UFA more like Calgary and Boston has done

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't know if you saw this but to me it looks like he immediately turns to the ref looking for a penalty and continues to discuss that ... which would be a logical conclusion as a result of that play wouldn't it? I can see how the lack of response is questioned and I get it but as a Captain and simply a hockey player you are still trying to win the game too ... no?

Seems pretty overblown but I completely understand it people are trying to prove/complain he shouldn't be the Captain. In that case I must remind you he was given the position by coaching and management to begin with. I don't think he's particularly strong at it myself and was probably gifted it too early but I think hating on him for it is pretty wrong too. That's on the coach and management not Bo. He's a good hockey player no matter how you cut it and we're not winning and losing because of his Captaincy or lack of. That's for sure.

Also, I see Garland punched him in the face to begin with. Man you guys are weak with these arguments. Should have been a penalty, it wasn't Lot of crying over nothing imo.

If this was an isolated incident I would never have said anything... But there are countless examples of Bo refusing to get involved physically. Hitting, scrums, scraps, standing up for players, standing up for himself. 

Before anyone twists my words, I don't expect Bo to be Reaves, or fight a guy like Reaves. I know that's not his game, but I've played for years and I've had some great captains and some not so great captains. What I can tell you is if I was a teammate of his I would be disappointed and uninspired by him on the ice. Maybe in the dressing room he is a leader, but he is missing a very key component to leadership on the ice and that's true passion, and the ability to get caught up in the moment for the sake of your team or teammates.

To your point, I agree he was handed the captaincy too early and it placed an unnecessary burden on him and that's not his fault. But he had an opportunity to grow into the role or play it out, and I don't think he grew into it. I do think the team moral and the lack of team toughness or pushback is affected by the missing on ice passion to lead.

• Cheers 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

Early contender for post of the year right here! Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I am a valuable contributor to this forum but I found your post completely foolish and all it deserved was a laugh 

• Haha 1