Edit- Rick Tocchet Expected To Be Next Head Coach

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

TOCCHET

GONCHAR 

MATVICHUK

gioated-family-guy.gif

I’m fine with Tocchett and Gonchar to an extent but I have no clue how Matvichuk fits the equation.

Unless they’re planning to retain Yeo or make another hire. There’s no way he has the experience to run the D or the Pk. Maybe a King replacement ?

47 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Added to his comment "You gotta to be all in. You can't be half in. You can't be just happy to live in a beautiful city, get paid a lot of money, come to the rink, play, and go home".

I think that's the country club reference. JR hit the nail on the head. 

Maybe that’s partly why JR likes Miller so much?  Miller actually hates losing and expresses he gives a damn. Tocchet will love the fire Miller brings.  Not too sure about Bo though. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Tocchet hasnt won anything anywhere. The fortunes of this team will not change unless they hire a proven coach with a stanley cup pedigree or an extreme history of winning.

Tocchet is a 3 time Stanley Cup champion, once as a player in 1992 and twice as an assistant coach in 2016 and 2017...

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe that’s partly why JR likes Miller so much?  Miller actually hates losing and expresses he gives a damn. 

Not sure who he was referring to, but that comment in public is quite an indictment on this current group.  

"There has to be attention to details, there has to be accountability, all those things that are very important to become a regular playoff team." 

When a team prez calls out the team in a national broadcast, he isn't dealing them with kid gloves anymore.  

Now let's see what he does with the major surgery.  Talk is cheap.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe that’s partly why JR likes Miller so much?  Miller actually hates losing and expresses he gives a damn. Tocchet will love the fire Miller brings.  Not too sure about Bo though. 

I think Miller might appreciate Tocchet's desire to win and the style of game he might have them play. Boeser on the other hand I'm not sure about. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tocchet is a 3 time Stanley Cup champion, once as a player in 1992 and twice as an assistant coach in 2016 and 2017...

of course, all three with Penguins. 

f25953dfc242e03721c88d8c78fd5037.jpg

cut.jpg

cut.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

well coaching has been change multipled times now, this will be the 4th coach since horvat has been here and nothing has changed. How about change the mediocre defense that has been here since Gillis was the GM. I think the only time we had a good defense was when we still had AV, Luongo, Salo, Edler, Mitchell, Ehrhoff, Tanev etc. Now we have players in the top 4 that wouldn't have made the Canucks farm team back in the day.

So you like the teams coaching as is?

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

I know....I thought the same thing!

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Huh... Sergei Gonchar?  There's a name that I haven't heard in a while.  I used to really like him as a player.  No clue what he's like as a coach

Apparently he's a defenseman guru. Given how he's a potential HoF(maybe one of these days) offensive defenseman he'd probably be good for Hughes.

This is what Justin Schultz had to say about him as a coach.

"He’s so smart. He knows so much about the game. You just need to listen, and you’ll learn so much from him" , Justin Schultz 2017

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

I thinks Canucks management and ownership should be real proud of the way they are handling Boudreau. What an embarrassment! One of the most successful coaches in the NHL. He is handling this BS with a lot of class, something the Canucks just don’t have. Can’t imagine how people keep paying to go to games. Owner just gets richer for a shitty product. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Apparently he's a defenseman guru. Given how he's a potential HoF(maybe one of these days) offensive defenseman he'd probably be good for Hughes.

This is what Justin Schultz had to say about him as a coach.

"He’s so smart. He knows so much about the game. You just need to listen, and you’ll learn so much from him" , Justin Schultz 2017

I like the sound of that. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Huh... Sergei Gonchar?  There's a name that I haven't heard in a while.  I used to really like him as a player.  No clue what he's like as a coach

Gonchar was a great and steady Dman in his time.  I think he won the cup with Crosby and Pittsburgh.  He is also Russian so could help our now growing Russian community of players.  I remember him being very good both offensively and defensively, so hopefully he can teach Hughes and the other Dmen how to play defence...

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He doesn’t hate losing enough to backcheck or do the work.

He hates losing just enough to whine, shit on his teammates, and give up on plays when things don’t go his way.

Not a recipe for winning…

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

He doesn’t hate losing enough to backcheck or do the work.

He hates losing just enough to whine, shit on his teammates, and give up on plays when things don’t go his way.

Not a recipe for winning…

So much of the team is that way right now, Miller is just another character in this class of clowns. 

Fun times ahead. Travis 2.0. Say goodbye to the offense Bruce brought the Canucks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-tocchet-close-signing-canucks-bringing-two-assistants

It appears that Bruce Boudreau may not be the only coach the Canucks are preparing to dismiss.
On Thursday’s edition of TSN’s Insider Training, Chris Johnston reported that Tocchet — who yesterday said he “hasn’t signed anything” — is expected to agree to a deal with the Canucks soon.
“It sounds as though negotiations have started on that deal, that Rick Tocchet will probably arrive in Vancouver with a couple additions to his coaching staff as well,” Johnston said. “Of course, nothing’s officially done one hundred percent until pens have been put to paper. That hasn’t happened yet, but it does sound as though it’s getting very close.”
Speculation has continued to grow this week that Tocchet taking over behind the Canucks’ bench for Bruce Boudreau is all but a done deal. When asked about Tocchet by name during Monday’s press conference, Canucks president Jim Rutherford didn’t deny that the Canucks had spoken to Tocchet. Instead, he said that they have talked to many people but that right now, Bruce is the head coach of the Vancouver Canucks.

Tocchet has a history with Patrik Allvin and Rutherford, as Tocchet won two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins as an assistant before taking the Arizona Coyotes’ coaching job. A report from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman linked Sergei Gonchar — the man who replaced Tocchet as an assistant in Pittsburgh — to the Canucks’ coaching staff, but it’s unclear exactly what Gonchar’s role could be.
On top of Gonchar, Friedman also floated out Richard Matvichuk’s name as a potential assistant coaching candidate. Currently, Mike Yeo, Trent Cull, and Jason King, serve as Boudreau’s assistants behind the Canucks’ bench.
If and when Tocchet is hired by the Canucks, it will be Tocchet’s third run as an NHL head coach, with previous stops in Tampa Bay and Arizona. Tocchet most recently coached the Arizona Coyotes from 2017-18 to 2020-21 before taking a job as an analyst on the TNT. Tocchet has a career record of 178-200-60 as an NHL head coach.