The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wilds Re-sign Matt Boldy 7x7M$

timberz21

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

And 68 points.

As a now sophomore.

This is a healthy risk. A 21 year old with clear skill isn't going to drop off. If anything he'll continue to improve.

The next round of collective bargaining should be interesting, within the NHLPA, for sure.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

The next round of collective bargaining should be interesting, within the NHLPA, for sure.

For sure.

The squeeze has already started happening with mid-profile UFA's signing under market value in August/September because everyone is capped out.

I just hope there's not another lockout anytime soon ... Our sport has had too much of it the last 20 years. Missing an entire season when I was a kid was terrible.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maginator said:

For sure.

The squeeze has already started happening with mid-profile UFA's signing under market value in August/September because everyone is capped out.

I just hope there's not another lockout anytime soon ... Our sport has had too much of it the last 20 years. Missing an entire season when I was a kid was terrible.

I think there will be some contentious meetings within the NHLPA, as young players get huge paydays for potential while players who have paid their dues get squeezed out of the league.  

As a fan, I hope they implement some kind of graduated salary ladder and keep the league more on the veteran side.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think there will be some contentious meetings within the NHLPA, as young players get huge paydays for potential while players who have paid their dues get squeezed out of the league.  

As a fan, I hope they implement some kind of graduated salary ladder and keep the league more on the veteran side.  

Ya, I like how the NBA has different maximums that players can sign based on performance, and other factors (I think age or service time is included...?), its not a perfect system as it leads to most players expecting that maximum but is a nice theory. Baseball is too far on the other extreme, but I think something tweeked would work. 

I've always toyed with the idea in my head about retroactive pay based on performance but never been able to make it work for a cap, and then you also have problems with players playing for stats rather than the "right way" but it would solve the issue of players playing way better on a contract year and then going legs up once they secured the bag.

Either way, its best for the league to have a system where capable veterans are still in the league at a fair value opposed to teams paying a handful of players and then paying minimums to everyone else.

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

I'd much rather pay the kids this then the Miller's and OELs. At least you can move the kid if need be

It's not the Milkers and the OEL's, it's the majority of the league in the middle........that said, the Millers and OEL's have paid their dues and earned those contracts.

• Cheers 2

Great signing for Minnesoda, Boldy 6'2 - 200 lbs -W --Future 75 - 85 point G 25-30 

Only 20 yrs old - GP 47 - 39 PTS

this season 21 - GP 42 -  29 PTS

7 years X 7 million  very good signing to lock this young talented player up before he has big season points wise...

1 hour ago, AngryElf said:

Ugh, I really wanted him in the 2019 draft. I love Podz, but Boldy was my number one once Zegras was taken.

I was 

zegras 

seider

krebs

newhook

and for podz if we took him I accepted cause I knew so little on him at the time

of draft accept for he was great at puck retrieval and was C 

I wasn’t keen on Boldy at draft