The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He was specifically referencing the coaching situation though.

Said he doesn’t think any player in the league has seen it handled like this. If that isn’t an indictment of management I don’t know what is.

Well yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you. The context of what he said should not have been a surprise to anyone. Realistically, we knew where this team was going to go after the first month or so. It was BAD.

Gotta think that if management was thinking of letting him get one more game in that that’s done.

The damage that this is doing to the team is almost beyond repair. They’re gonna need to start trying to put out the fires now. (If they can)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Bruce speaking in the past tense saying “gonna miss it” sucks to hear. 

I wonder if he may resign
There would be no "losing face" in that - (almost) everyone sees what a sh*t show is going on. He could say that he doesn't want to be a distraction etc

Unusual...sure

Unlikely...sure

but this whole situation is unorthodox

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying

this roster is not constructed to play a defensive first system, they are not that good, and they would have to sacrifice A LOT of their offense to play anything that could have a change of working

BB has decided to play offense and try to outscore the defensive weakness. Unfortunately, we don't have enough offensive weapons (limited scoring outside of the top 6) to do that either. 

That's not true. We have plenty of offense. We are top 10 in scoring. We are, however, near the bottom for goals against. Goal scoring isn't our weakness. It's depth.

Current management thought they could fix it by buying through free agency. Where have we heard this? More importantly, they chose Miller over Horvat, essentially, given their cap situation, which SHOULDN'T have been this major surprise to them. They SHOULD have made plans.  It just looked like they only had one plan - success. They clearly didn't plan to fail because we are capped out and near the bottom of the standings.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

People have emotions and it's a piss poor environment all around the team right now... On mental health night as well eh... lol

Yeah it’s tough like you say it’s mental health night and repeated negative environment can be difficult, however he could’ve stepped  up as a supposed leader/vet and say something like  “we just haven’t been good enough this year” instead he says “…tonight it finally showed” 

like no buddy the team has been garbage from the start of the season and you have not improved in ANY area. I’m fact maybe gotten worse everywhere. 

zero leadership 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I wonder if he may resign
There would be no "losing face" in that - (almost) everyone sees what a sh*t show is going on. He could say that he doesn't want to be a distraction etc

Unusual...sure

Unlikely...sure

but this whole situation is unorthodox

I don’t think he’d “quit” on the players like that but I wouldn’t blame him. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Making it worse to get good players to come here is even worse 

That's going to be yet another promise that they'll fail to deliver. They promised that they'll attract free agents.

What they've done this season is bush league.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

No chance are they gonna let this play out again on hockey night in Canada. Not after tonight.

Hope Bieksa calls out the organization, Aquilini won't like it, good thing we've already done his retirement ceremony. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying

this roster is not constructed to play a defensive first system, they are not that good, and they would have to sacrifice A LOT of their offense to play anything that could have a change of working

BB has decided to play offense and try to outscore the defensive weakness. Unfortunately, we don't have enough offensive weapons (limited scoring outside of the top 6) to do that either. 

True, but like you say you have to go with what resources you have to find a way to win. They gave him a solid top 6-9 to work with, but realistically 1 or 2 consistently NHL level dmen who will play that side of the game. Only option is  to run and gum when the team, over multiple seasons, have shown they can only operate in one direction.