The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just watched the press conference. My takecaways;

- Tocchet comes across good, seems pretty diplomatic

- Rutherford is a condescending jerk

- No one asked the tough question as to whether or not management felt that BB was supported by having the right players available..... essentially why would he be expected to succeed with the same team Green previously failed with?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chickenspear said:

How the hell is Yeo still employed?

Did you ever watch a season of Survivor? (the reality show)  Sometimes the contestants keep someone around that isn't well liked and they can blame stuff on.

I present to you!  Mike Yeo!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Basically we're pooched until we can dump Myers next year as well as Pearson and hopefully Boeser/Garland. Only then can the true roster re-creation begin. This year was always going to be tough to move players due to the flat cap. So yeah it's kind of always been a whatever we'll take your money but no guarantees year. Next year will be similar unless they get some major moves done.

Imagine if Adam Foote can get Myers to play physical, stay at home D. He’s got some solid offensive instincts, but I believe he could simplify his game to more effectively partner with OEL. Myers seemed really rattled by Bruce’s departure… maybe he’ll be someone who rebounds best with the new coaching staff.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, GB5 said:

Just watched the press conference. My takecaways;

- Tocchet comes across good, seems pretty diplomatic

- Rutherford is a condescending jerk

- No one asked the tough question as to whether or not management felt that BB was supported by having the right players available..... essentially why would he be expected to succeed with the same team Green previously failed with?

At least JR promised to zip it more.   He's candid comments have done more harm than good. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Tocchet is a meathead but I believe that he is going to try his best.

JR has brought him in to end the country club and shake things up.  JR will then direct Allvin to make trades to reshape the team for the future.

It all may work or it all may blow up spectacularly.  Guess we will see...

Don't think they will make any trades now because that would be cutting Trocchet's feet out from under him,

Everything they have said will be proven to be a lie or a scheme to platicate fans, Horvat gets the 9.5 mil 8 years with NMC because they think the cap will absorb any overages. They do about Miller's why not Horvat's?

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Something curious from the presser....why was Tocchet going on about creating a 'safe' environment for the players and Allvin followed up saying its important for the players to feel safe coming to the rink every day (I think it was him that said that)?  Is there something I missed or were they referring to some ongoing issue we don't know about?  Why wouldn't players already feel safe?

Safe to air their thoughts about the team and be able to focus on their job instead of the noise lately from media and fans.

Allvin stressing to make stepping on the ice easier for them once a structure is in place providing all buy in.

Also comments by Hughes on Pearson injury, Bear on the casual dressing room take and Myers on the BB firing lead up needs to stop. 

Time to get back to playing hockey win or lose.

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yep, that came across as a fairly sincere mea culpa / lesson learned

I read into it differently.

To me it came across as more of a backhanded comment to the media and fans who clearly can see he is not being honest with them. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Sure beats the mediocrity of the past couple of decades. Not to mention the Country Club we some how called Hockey. Changes needed to be made.

Yeah I’m not sure another Travis green level coach is going to fix the mediocrity. Tocchetts .444 pts% as a coach.

He’s under mediocre lol. 

a 80 year old president hiring all his friends and friends of friends  sounds kinda like a country club to me. 

If turning this club into a place nobody wants to be there doing a great job. 

the only change that’ll fix this team is if Francesco is removed as ceo .Shocking the goal of mediocrity and his ownership seem to be related. 

Edited by combover
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Tocchet is a meathead but I believe that he is going to try his best.

JR has brought him in to end the country club and shake things up.  JR will then direct Allvin to make trades to reshape the team for the future.

It all may work or it all may blow up spectacularly.  Guess we will see...

Didn't Torts have the same hard as* approach as Tocchet and that failed? We have had 3 Jack Adams award winners as coaches and still not won a cup. Having a competitive approach and more structure is great, but the roster needs rebuilding. Eternal retooling and drama is exhausting and embarrassing. Another coach change bump gets us from a top 7 pick to a top 12 or 15 pick, bfd. The mushy middle here seems eternal: not good enough to compete (get in the playoffs and anything can  happen crap) and not bad enough to bottom out and get top 3 pucks. Not buying any tickets soon.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

At least JR promised to zip it more.   He's candid comments have done more harm than good. 

Ironically he said that, then proceeded to go on and on about the similar things he shouldn't have said before. 

Like saying Aquaman was recruiting coaches behind Greens back, and we'll definitely be seeing Hogs/Podz called up - which he had to walk himself back on and embarrassingly say Allvin should be deciding those things.....not to dissect everything but details matter as Tocchet kept alluding to.