The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank you Bruce!

Rate this topic

Jaimito

Last season was all Bruce. I really enjoyed the games after he took over.

I had actually just cut ties with the operator  just a few day prior to the dismissal of JB and Green, as I didin’t want to pay for Canucks hockey any more. I had to order it again and I was so energized by our game that it really translated into more positivity for me at work and at home with the family. Really helped me out during the winter and spring with the heavy workload I had.

So truly, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you, Bruce!

• There it is 2

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I am not going to say Bruce was my first choice for coach after Green was fired.

But he did a great job in his first year.

And if management had actually procured some decent improvements in defensive personnel in the off season, maybe his second year would have been better.

But they did nothing... the band aid solutions they presented him with to start, (Stillman) and then the second band aid, (Bear) were no where near the caliber which was needed.

Ad to that, Bruce ran into some bad luck... the only player who could have saved the team defensively, i.e. Demko, went down for the count.

Left with two backups as goalies... (who performed well for the first couple games, then fell off the cliff) the inevitable decline began.

Add to that Management's botched player signings... team Captain Horvat with the sword of Damocles hanging over his head in the form of a trade... as well as all the other players without term... and the other key element, which would be team morale... plummeted too.

Any surprise the season was not so good?

No, I don't blame Boudreau... and he deserved better.

I have agreed with your posts recently, and this post is no different.

Although management didn't botch their UFA signings, they did spend more than they said they would, which also meant that they didn't shed cap, as they had promised. Management can't blame the cap for that. That's just fiscal mismanagement at that point.

Moreover, they didn't allocate their funds to areas that really needed help - the defense. As you pointed out, Bear and Stillman are inadequate additions to this roster. Nonetheless, I was still impressed with Bear and to a smaller extent Dermott. Management really screwed the pooch here.

Finally, choosing Miller over Horvat is a major mistake by management. I'm not sure how they can replace his services, but if we spend money on UFA again, we'll end up making the same mistakes as before.

as much ownership and front office is blamed by many user here on CDC as much you can blame Boudreau for the product on the ice. The truth after 46 games into the season is, that Bruce hasn' t found solutions for various problems within the team. More than disappoinnting that he couldn't get the team to play the right way. When you look at the stats of most of the games Canucks blocked less shots than the opposition. That metric tells you that the effort wasn't there from the team most of the nights. Hell, you can take the position that Yeo was and still is responsible for the defenseman, but hey Bruce could find a way to strike the right balance between the offensive game and defensive game. Would have preferred that Canucks ride this season out with Bruce and finished at the very bottom of the league to get a top5 draft pick. But hey this managemant group seems to be something special.

• Like 1

An absolutely massive THANK YOU to "Bruce, there it is!" 

This man personifies everything a winner is built of. You don't win over

600 games because you're incompetent, and his passion for the game,

our team, our city, is so apparent and endearing. 

He's the kind of leader players go to war for. 

All the best to Bruce!

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

as much ownership and front office is blamed by many user here on CDC as much you can blame Boudreau for the product on the ice. The truth after 46 games into the season is, that Bruce hasn' t found solutions for various problems within the team. More than disappoinnting that he couldn't get the team to play the right way. When you look at the stats of most of the games Canucks blocked less shots than the opposition. That metric tells you that the effort wasn't there from the team most of the nights. Hell, you can take the position that Yeo was and still is responsible for the defenseman, but hey Bruce could find a way to strike the right balance between the offensive game and defensive game. Would have preferred that Canucks ride this season out with Bruce and finished at the very bottom of the league to get a top5 draft pick. But hey this managemant group seems to be something special.

Why is it Boudreau's fault that management went after forwards in the offseason when even the dumbest of fans, speaking of myself here, knew we had a gaping hole on defense? What exactly do you expect him to do with a blueline that has 2 legit guys, a quality 3rd pair guy forced into the top 4 in Schenn, and a bunch of scrubs. Bear is fine, but Carolina retained cap on him and his cap hit was sub 2.5mil. That says something about him. Myers has been a gong show under multiple coaches. Stillman is an embarrassment.

We also have 2 AHL goalies, cause our starter was injured. We don't have a true backup. Looking at the goals against, a lot of them are muffins that Demko even as diminished as he's looked this season would have stopped. That's like asking a chef to make a gourmet meal out of peanuts and banana peels. Everyone knows this team was not built to win. I am pretty sure Rutherford himself stated this when he got the job here. Boudreau can't just magically make players better.

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Why is it Boudreau's fault that management went after forwards in the offseason when even the dumbest of fans, speaking of myself here, knew we had a gaping hole on defense? What exactly do you expect him to do with a blueline that has 2 legit guys, a quality 3rd pair guy forced into the top 4 in Schenn, and a bunch of scrubs. Bear is fine, but Carolina retained cap on him and his cap hit was sub 2.5mil. That says something about him. Myers has been a gong show under multiple coaches. Stillman is an embarrassment.

We also have 2 AHL goalies, cause our starter was injured. We don't have a true backup. Looking at the goals against, a lot of them are muffins that Demko even as diminished as he's looked this season would have stopped. That's like asking a chef to make a gourmet meal out of peanuts and banana peels. Everyone knows this team was not built to win. I am pretty sure Rutherford himself stated this when he got the job here. Boudreau can't just magically make players better.

https://www.otisoat.com/banana-peel-peanut-brittle/

Challenge accepted

On 1/24/2023 at 6:00 PM, Moe Knows said:

Everbody probably knew but me that Bruce scored his first NHL goal on Rutherford, that's a long time to wait for revenge JR

Idk man, I'd say it was the other way around. 

Bruce is actually lucky to get out of this shite show of a franchise.. 

So we had 3 bright spots in 40+ years and still no cup.. 

And again, for the 1000th time, unless we actually BUILD a team, whose coaching? Like that f'n matters! Lol